• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

1st upgrade on morning commute

Status
Not open for further replies.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,465
If it's not a season ticket, what is it? Break of journey doesn't apply anyway as it's a zonal ticket.

edit: I see what you are getting at - you mean split-ticketing, not break of journey.


--- old post above --- --- new post below ---


Under that definition it is a Season Ticket.

If the ticket has no stated restriction regarding any operator(s) on it, then according to Condition 10, it is implied that it is Any Permitted.

10. Tickets valid only in trains of particular Train Companies
The validity of a ticket may:
a) be restricted to; or
b) prohibit
travel in the trains of a particular Train Company or Train Companies. Any such restriction
or prohibition will be shown on the ticket
. If you travel in a train with a ticket that is not
valid, the relevant parts of Condition 2 or 4 will apply. If you are unable to use a ticket or
any part of it, you may be able to claim a refund under Condition 26 or Condition 36.

Whether the ticket is a Season (non-PTE) or a PTE product (zonal or not) is not a contributing factor in itself in terms of operator restrictions, unless it is cleared stated in the terms of the ticket.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

furryfeet

Member
Joined
17 Apr 2008
Messages
449
The difference between the SOS and FOS as posted above.

What would the upgrade price be, if one held an "any operator" 2nd class season from kings cross to peterborough and one wanted to upgrade to an "EC off-peak single" ?
from the eastcoast web site, the 2nd class single is £47.00 and the EC First Class Off Peak Single is £48.00
so would that make the upgrade fee, paid before boarding the EC train, £1.00 ?
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,577
Location
LBK
No, because the Std single ticket you see wouldn't be the cheapest available for immediate travel.
 

amcluesent

Member
Joined
19 Dec 2010
Messages
877
Just FYI, I tried this today with an FCC STD 7-day season KGX-PBO (*)

After a good deal of tapping away on the computer at KGX and writing down the numbers on a slip of paper, I was quoted a jumbonormous £17 to excess to FC on FCC only. This was for an X/S Anytime Day, although I specifically asked for it for the 15:23 service.

Ironically, there was no Guard on the train, so I couldn't ask about excessing after boarding, or whether FCC would issue a PF on the train.

(*) Purchased in a moment of madness, and I now fear for my physical and mental well-being!
 

First class

Established Member
Joined
9 Aug 2008
Messages
2,731
Just FYI, I tried this today with an FCC STD 7-day season KGX-PBO (*)

After a good deal of tapping away on the computer at KGX and writing down the numbers on a slip of paper, I was quoted a jumbonormous £17 to excess to FC on FCC only. This was for an X/S Anytime Day, although I specifically asked for it for the 15:23 service.

Ironically, there was no Guard on the train, so I couldn't ask about excessing after boarding, or whether FCC would issue a PF on the train.

(*) Purchased in a moment of madness, and I now fear for my physical and mental well-being!

So you're season ticket cost £140.50 for 7 Days (Standard)?
If so, (assuming it is off peak):

Your tickets excess value: £24.90 (CDS KGX-PBO) This is the cheapest standard single valid at the time.
Excess to: FDS @ £46.00. This is the cheapest standard 1st single.

£21.10 excess

Season Tickets

The difference between the price of the Standard and First Class Single ticket, available for immediate travel, for the journey being made.

The Any Permitted fares are not appropriate as you cannot excess op-specific tickets.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

shotayo

Member
Joined
8 Dec 2010
Messages
30
I wonder if anybody could explain the following: I was informed that I could not upgrade from an any permitted 7 day standard season ticket to a TOC specific first class single and was given the attached information. My reading of the attached is that Condition 10 (refers to where the 'route shown on the ticket specifices a particular Train Company name for the main part of the journey it cannot be used on any other Train Company's service for that part of the journey unless authorised for this purpose (e.g. train service disruption)) does not infact preclude upgrading from an any permitted to TOC specific.
 

Attachments

  • information from retail staff.pdf
    603.2 KB · Views: 10

First class

Established Member
Joined
9 Aug 2008
Messages
2,731
I wonder if anybody could explain the following: I was informed that I could not upgrade from an any permitted 7 day standard season ticket to a TOC specific first class single and was given the attached information. My reading of the attached is that Condition 10 (refers to where the 'route shown on the ticket specifices a particular Train Company name for the main part of the journey it cannot be used on any other Train Company's service for that part of the journey unless authorised for this purpose (e.g. train service disruption)) does not infact preclude upgrading from an any permitted to TOC specific.

(Example) You can excess from:

ANY PERMITTED to VIRGIN TRNS ONLY
VIA RUGBY to VIRGIN TRNS ONLY
NOT VIA LONDON to VIRGIN TRNS ONLY

But you CANNOT go:

VIRGIN TRNS ONLY to ANY PERMITTED
VIRGIN TRNS ONLY to VIA RUGBY
VIRGIN TRNS ONLY to FCC ONLY

Send them a complaint explaining that the member of staff has misunderstood the rules.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top