• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

1st class ticket - OK to sit in standard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorEast

Member
Joined
20 Jul 2018
Messages
68
I'm travelling from Edinburgh to London with my partner. She has a 1st class ticket from Berwick to London (and gets free standard class travel in Scotland). I have a standard class ticket from Edinburgh to London. I asked LNER's assistance team to reserve us seats together in standard class (she's disabled) but they said having tickets in different classes was a problem. Is sitting in standard class with a 1st class ticket not allowed?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
22 Jan 2014
Messages
5,628
Location
Birmingham
It isn't a problem but it's possible they've misunderstood. First Class tickets are always valid in Standard Class.
 

gray1404

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2014
Messages
7,642
Location
Merseyside
Its no problem at all. A first class ticket is also valid in standard. You may also find that the staff in first class may be more then happy to still give her any free drinks and food if she asks and presents her ticket. I did this recently on a Glasgow to Wigan journey and travelled with my friend in standard. Staff were more than happy to give me my first class offerings.
 

NorEast

Member
Joined
20 Jul 2018
Messages
68
Thanks! I've e-mailed back to ask LNER what's up. I wonder if they thought I was trying to wangle a seat in 1st...

Hopefully they will still give the free food and drink :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top