• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

1988/89 era intercity executive club

Status
Not open for further replies.

03_179

Established Member
Joined
13 Aug 2008
Messages
3,867
Location
At my desk
To save my sanity.
Back in about 1988/89 there was an intercity club rewards type thing going.
I remember having the leaflets at Clapham Junction.

What was the name of it?
What was it all about?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cymroglan

Member
Joined
2 Jul 2011
Messages
190
I have a vague memory of being a member of something which might have been called the Pullman Club around that time. I think I even had a membership tie? It was almost certainly connected to access to the Pullman Lounge at Euston, which went through many later name changes!
I can’t remember the conditions of membership, but I think I had a credit card sized membership card.
I used to travel from Euston to the North West of England a lot in those days on a work account….
 

Hassocks5489

Member
Joined
2 Feb 2014
Messages
256
Location
Hove, Sunny Sussex by the Sea
There are two possibilities that come to mind from that era:
- Travel Key (I think this was being wound down in 1987, though)
- British Rail Executive Tickets

I have scans of a more-or-less full run of BR Sales Circulars from number 1 (1986) onwards. Happy to dig through and have a look for info if either of those sound familiar. I can certainly upload 3 pages of info about the British Rail Executive Tickets from Sales Circular 22, which coincided with the fares change in January 1987.
 

03_179

Established Member
Joined
13 Aug 2008
Messages
3,867
Location
At my desk
There are two possibilities that come to mind from that era:
- Travel Key (I think this was being wound down in 1987, though)
- British Rail Executive Tickets

I have scans of a more-or-less full run of BR Sales Circulars from number 1 (1986) onwards. Happy to dig through and have a look for info if either of those sound familiar. I can certainly upload 3 pages of info about the British Rail Executive Tickets from Sales Circular 22, which coincided with the fares change in January 1987.
The Exec tickets sound sort of familiar.
I started in Nov 1986.
Then at Clapham about 1988 and when the TC closed I went back to WAT for a short while before going to ECR TC.
It was at CLJ that it became a thing we dealt with. I remember a couple of business type having them.
Christ my memory is getting bad.
 

Hassocks5489

Member
Joined
2 Feb 2014
Messages
256
Location
Hove, Sunny Sussex by the Sea
SC 022 (3).JPGSC 022 (4).JPGSC 022 (5).JPG

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Have a read through the attached to see if any of the information looks familiar. (Images taken from BR Sales Circular 22, 11–17 January 1987, available at the National Archives, Kew.)
 

03_179

Established Member
Joined
13 Aug 2008
Messages
3,867
Location
At my desk
It certainly rings a lot of bells.

I can just remember looking at the stylish black/grey merch and thinking that looks cool.

Thanks a lot ... You've made my day :)
 

Hassocks5489

Member
Joined
2 Feb 2014
Messages
256
Location
Hove, Sunny Sussex by the Sea
Indeed! Hopefully at least some sandwiches and a nice whisky or similar.

Incidentally, I've just noticed the telling phrase at the top of p4: "Because of severe air competition these [Scottish] packages are heavily discounted and have enhanced facilities". BR had clearly recognised that by the late 1980s, Anglo-Scottish flights were growing significantly in scale and importance.
 

AY1975

Established Member
Joined
14 Dec 2016
Messages
2,185
That looks like a classy package. What would your £2 dinner and £1.50 nightcap vouchers stretch to on board?
I presume the nightcap vouchers were for drinks in the Lounge Car on Sleeper trains (as I recall Lounge Cars were first introduced on Sleepers in about 1987ish, although in the last few years of Mark 1 sleepers in the late 1970s and early '80s some Sleeper trains had a Mark 1 Pullman car that was branded as a Nightcap Bar).
 

wellhouse

Member
Joined
4 Oct 2009
Messages
659
Location
West Yorkshire
I had a Travel Key card until they were withdrawn. It was like a frequent flyer programme, where you accumulated points according to expenditure, which could be exchanged for tickets.

I recall the reason given for scrapping the scheme was that HMRC might regard these free tickets as a taxable benefit in kind.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top