This is a very minor point but it interested me.
The 16:30 London Waterloo to Portsmouth service is usually booked to arrive into Guildford on platform 4 at 17:02 and depart at 17:04.
However, I have noticed that during this week's engineering works on the Portsmouth Direct, south of Guildford, it is due to arrive at 17:06 and terminate on platform 5.
I assume this is due to needing to allow the 17:01 to depart from platform 5 to Waterloo. Could it not arrive into platform 4 and depart from that so that it didn't need to wait for the train to depart or would that be too confusing for passengers?
I only ask because this has led to the 17:11 Guildford to Redhill service having to use platform 8 inside of 4, as it's due to arrive at 17:07 and depart 17:11. Most stopping trains to Redhill use platform 8 but usually a few use platform 4, including this one. If the 17:11 can happily use platform 8, it might as well use it all the time to be consistent, if that is what is desired here.
As it is, today the 17:01 to London Waterloo used platform 3 today.
The 16:30 London Waterloo to Portsmouth service is usually booked to arrive into Guildford on platform 4 at 17:02 and depart at 17:04.
However, I have noticed that during this week's engineering works on the Portsmouth Direct, south of Guildford, it is due to arrive at 17:06 and terminate on platform 5.
I assume this is due to needing to allow the 17:01 to depart from platform 5 to Waterloo. Could it not arrive into platform 4 and depart from that so that it didn't need to wait for the train to depart or would that be too confusing for passengers?
I only ask because this has led to the 17:11 Guildford to Redhill service having to use platform 8 inside of 4, as it's due to arrive at 17:07 and depart 17:11. Most stopping trains to Redhill use platform 8 but usually a few use platform 4, including this one. If the 17:11 can happily use platform 8, it might as well use it all the time to be consistent, if that is what is desired here.
As it is, today the 17:01 to London Waterloo used platform 3 today.