Sorry if this has been asked before.
I turn 26 next month; at the moment, my 16-25 railcard expires in July 2011. Is there any restriction on when the railcard can be renewed; obviously, if I can buy a new one the day before I turn 26 to get the maximum possible use out of it (as it saves me a fortune) then I will.
The FAQs on the 16-25 website state "You can renew your Railcard up to 30 days in advance of its expiry date (providing there is no break in continuity) online, at a station ticket office or over the phone."
It's a bit ambiguous... does it mean (put in as straightforward terms as possible):
a) "It can only be renewed up to 30 days in advance, we have your details on our system and will prevent you from buying a new one in the same name/address before this 30 day period", i.e. if it expires more than 30 days before you're 26, tough, you're stuck with the expiry date;
or
b) It can be renewed 30 days in advance and by doing so will preserve the expiry date (for example, a railcard expiring on 31st July 2010, renewed on 10th July 2010, will be valid until 31st July 2011); but if you want to renew it before then, you may do so and the new expiry date will be one year from the date of renewal, (i.e. surrendering the old one and buying a new one, rather than 'renewing'.)
Basically, mine expires in July 2011, I want to renew it (or effectively, hand it back and buy a new one) in November 2010 so it now expires in November 2011. Is this allowed?
I think the b) case is correct, but the terminology isn't quite clear. I'd be glad if anyone could clear this one up. Cheers.
I turn 26 next month; at the moment, my 16-25 railcard expires in July 2011. Is there any restriction on when the railcard can be renewed; obviously, if I can buy a new one the day before I turn 26 to get the maximum possible use out of it (as it saves me a fortune) then I will.
The FAQs on the 16-25 website state "You can renew your Railcard up to 30 days in advance of its expiry date (providing there is no break in continuity) online, at a station ticket office or over the phone."
It's a bit ambiguous... does it mean (put in as straightforward terms as possible):
a) "It can only be renewed up to 30 days in advance, we have your details on our system and will prevent you from buying a new one in the same name/address before this 30 day period", i.e. if it expires more than 30 days before you're 26, tough, you're stuck with the expiry date;
or
b) It can be renewed 30 days in advance and by doing so will preserve the expiry date (for example, a railcard expiring on 31st July 2010, renewed on 10th July 2010, will be valid until 31st July 2011); but if you want to renew it before then, you may do so and the new expiry date will be one year from the date of renewal, (i.e. surrendering the old one and buying a new one, rather than 'renewing'.)
Basically, mine expires in July 2011, I want to renew it (or effectively, hand it back and buy a new one) in November 2010 so it now expires in November 2011. Is this allowed?
I think the b) case is correct, but the terminology isn't quite clear. I'd be glad if anyone could clear this one up. Cheers.
