• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

1520 Fridays Only Westbury-Exeter

Status
Not open for further replies.

embers25

Established Member
Joined
16 Jul 2009
Messages
2,176
I just noticed this extra train has been added and I'm assuming its a 158 formed by removing the back 2 coaches from the 1509 arrival from Portsmouth (in a similar vein to the old through Portsmouth-Penzance train). Would that be correct and if not what stock does form it and why does it get over an hour from Westbury to Taunton non-stop and also 37 minutes from there to Exeter non-stop?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

anthony263

Established Member
Joined
19 Aug 2008
Messages
6,892
Location
South Wales
Maybe it is looped somewhere to allow it to be overtaken by one of the express services from London Paddington, either that or it has a lot of slack
 

embers25

Established Member
Joined
16 Jul 2009
Messages
2,176
Nope as the following Summer extra at 1556 arrives Exeter at 1707 right behind it. I wondered if it ran non stop via Bristol but I doubt it due to lack of paths.
 

Drsatan

Established Member
Joined
24 Aug 2009
Messages
1,887
Location
Land of the Sprinters
Apparently it's an ECS move that's run as a passenger service on Fridays. It was mentioned in Barry Doe's timetable review in RAIL. According to FGW it's to relieve pressure on the 1506 departure from Paddington which is often very busy upon departing Westbury and Frome.

Can't comment on what units are used since I've never used this service. I'm assuming they'd be 158s since a 150 or153 wouldn't be able to keep to time on the Berks and Hants.
 

455driver

Veteran Member
Joined
10 May 2010
Messages
11,329
I believe it is a 150 and the driver passes up from Exeter for it, dont get 158s down the South West very often now.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top