• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

150001 visits SVR (YouTube link) with elephants..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trentside

Established Member
Joined
14 Aug 2010
Messages
3,391
Location
Messroom
Great video, out of interest, why did it visit the SVR?

Some of the people on the platforms didn't look too impressed!
 
Last edited:

Masbroughlad

Established Member
Joined
2 Mar 2011
Messages
1,847
Location
Midlands
Pity we don't see some through services out of Bridgnorth onto Network Rail to Birmingham say, maybe at rush hour for commuters.
 

anthony263

Established Member
Joined
19 Aug 2008
Messages
6,894
Location
South Wales
I wonder if Chiltern have thought of that idea, although isnt there a problem with acessing the severn valley railway from the birmingham direction.

Isnt that why when chiltern ran the direct service to London the servern valley railway had to put on a train to take passengers back to Bridgenorth from kidderminster?
 

mumrar

Established Member
Joined
26 Sep 2008
Messages
2,650
Location
Redditch
The biggest obstacle is the fact that the route isn't exactly direct, being a U-shape via Kidderminster to Birmingham. Also, Bridgnorth to Kidderminster at a maximum of 25mph isn't very quick either. To satisfy the commuter needs (say 08:30 arrival) you'd need to depart Bridgnorth around 06:30-06:45 and that's the same time as someone going from Shrewsbury to Euston arriving at 08:52!!
 

LE Greys

Established Member
Joined
6 Mar 2010
Messages
5,389
Location
Hitchin
They'll have to get used to this, preserved Sprinters, bound to happen one day
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
How did he get the camera out of the window?
 

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
Joined
18 Apr 2011
Messages
2,825
Location
Birmingham
I wonder if Chiltern have thought of that idea, although isnt there a problem with acessing the severn valley railway from the birmingham direction.

Isnt that why when chiltern ran the direct service to London the servern valley railway had to put on a train to take passengers back to Bridgenorth from kidderminster?

You can access it, but its a convoluted shunt. From Birmingham you would need to go into the turnback sidings behind Kidderminster box, then you cross over to the Stourbridge bound line, from there you change ends again and get onto the Severn Valley. Lord knows how long it would take or how disruptive it would be to other traffic. Your chances of being able to do it in the peak have to be almost zero.
 

Scud

Member
Joined
7 Jan 2011
Messages
49
Location
Worcestershire / West Mids
Also, the little spur between Network Rail & the SVR's main line is not suitable for regular traffic - it's a bit rickety & twisty and is 5mph, so would need relaying. In addition, the move over that spur is only controlled by ground signals in either direction which I think would prevent the movement of passengers.
 

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
20 Mar 2011
Messages
3,894
Location
West Country
Particularly 150001; I wouldn't be surprised if that one ends up preserved on the Severn Valley eventually!
Well at least it will be at home in the midlands. I wouldn't be surprised if 150002 joined it too ;)
How did he get the camera out of the window?
I was thinking that also, I presume he was leaning out the cab door or window, probably not the door as it's not a slam door like on the 150/1s, unless he can control the door on it's own
 

BestWestern

Established Member
Joined
6 Feb 2011
Messages
6,736
Well at least it will be at home in the midlands. I wouldn't be surprised if 150002 joined it too ;)
I was thinking that also, I presume he was leaning out the cab door or window, probably not the door as it's not a slam door like on the 150/1s, unless he can control the door on it's own

Would have been the droplight cab window, as the sliding crew door would interlock as the main doors would. I was intrigued to see it isn't a slam door on 150/0 units, I'd have guessed it would be since it is on the later 150/1 sets. A bit of backwards progress obviously crept in there!
 

biggyn

Member
Joined
17 Jan 2011
Messages
40
Location
BHM
Had many years working this in the west midlands. . . Kind of miss 001 now!

150 001 is still running thankfully, as I saw her at about ten past eight a couple of Wednesday mornings ago, coupled to a 2-car 150/1. I noticed that it said on the SVR website previously to the event that it had been withdrawn prior to the event, but, as I said, she's still running in normal service, as is 002 and both seem to be performing as well as the rest of the 150s under London Midland ownership.

I agree that there ought to be a Class 150 Preservation Society to keep 001 and 002. I'd certainly join it!

Oh, and also, it does look like the driver's cab window that is being filmed out of, seeing as the prototypes had the sliding local doors, rather than the hinged ones. I wonder why the 150/1s had hinged doors, when the prototypes had sliding doors, which carried on to the 150/2s?
 
Last edited:

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
20 Mar 2011
Messages
3,894
Location
West Country
150 001 is still running thankfully, as I saw her at about ten past eight a couple of Wednesday mornings ago, coupled to a 2-car 150/1. I noticed that it said on the SVR website previously to the event that it had been withdrawn prior to the event, but, as I said, she's still running in normal service, as is 002 and both seem to be performing as well as the rest of the 150s under London Midland ownership.
Yes, both 150001 and 002 work perfectly fine still, I travel on one of them at least once a week. There's no need to go yet.

Even though LM are receiving a load of 172s, I would like the two prototypes to remain on the Snow Hill lines, as a quirky bit of heritage :) After all, they've spent their whole lives in the midlands (and most likely the Snow Hill lines), so why should they be moved. Also, out of all the 150s, they are the most suited for that purpose as they have the greatest seating capacity, by not having a driving unit as their centre carriage.

I agree that there ought to be a Class 150 Preservation Society to keep 001 and 002. I'd certainly join it!
Good idea, I'm for it :)
 

sprinterguy

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Mar 2010
Messages
11,578
Location
Macclesfield
Yes, both 150001 and 002 work perfectly fine still, I travel on one of them at least once a week. There's no need to go yet.

Even though LM are receiving a load of 172s, I would like the two prototypes to remain on the Snow Hill lines, as a quirky bit of heritage :) After all, they've spent their whole lives in the midlands (and most likely the Snow Hill lines), so why should they be moved. Also, out of all the 150s, they are the most suited for that purpose as they have the greatest seating capacity, by not having a driving unit as their centre carriage.
Well, they were very well travelled in the first five years of their life before they settled down on the Snow Hill lines. They even made it to Scotland for passenger trials, as well as extensive use on the Matlock branch due to it's proximity to Derby.

150001 and 150002 are oddballs when it comes to cascading them anywhere, as they are the only two permanent three cariage 150s, which would surely complicate the diagramming a little in a two-car DMU ruled world. So yeah I wouldn't mind seeing those two retained in the West Midlands, although that would make them rather non-standard.
 

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
20 Mar 2011
Messages
3,894
Location
West Country
Well, they were very well travelled in the first five years of their life before they settled down on the Snow Hill lines. They even made it to Scotland for passenger trials, as well as extensive use on the Matlock branch due to it's proximity to Derby.
weren't the 151s tested there also
150001 and 150002 are oddballs when it comes to cascading them anywhere, as they are the only two permanent three cariage 150s, which would surely complicate the diagramming a little in a two-car DMU ruled world. So yeah I wouldn't mind seeing those two retained in the West Midlands, although that would make them rather non-standard.
  • They could be retained as spare units in case any 172s are unavailable.
  • Or they could be used like 153s, to dramatically lengthen any service
  • Or they could be coupled together and then run around as a 6 car train
 

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2008
Messages
12,774
This might seem a tad wasteful of the centre cars, but if the only home possible for them was running nothing but two-car units, surely the centre cars could be taken out?
Or, if possible- take the centre out of 002, stick it in 001? Leaving 002 as a two-car, and 001 as a four for use on double-two car diagrams? Technically feasible?
 

newtownmgr

On Moderation
Joined
2 Jan 2011
Messages
738
Latest we have been told at work is 3 2 Car 150's are staying.
1 for Bed/Bletchley.
1 for New St/Hfd.
1 Spare.

The reason for 1 on New st/hfd is to enable Worcester Drivers to retain
traction knowledge as they are involved in swapping the Bletchley unit over
to/from Tyseley on a Fridaynight. Also 4 153's staying. 2 at Bletchley (1
working, 1 spare), 1 New st/Hfd (with 150), 1 Spare.
 

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
20 Mar 2011
Messages
3,894
Location
West Country
I thought 150s weren't allowed on the Lickey Incline as they were underpowered.

Why can't LM keep the 150 prototypes? :(
 

newtownmgr

On Moderation
Joined
2 Jan 2011
Messages
738
150's have always had diagrams up the Lickey. They are not underpowered
and a good 150 will outperform a 170 away from Bromsgrove. Don't know
where this rubbish about being banned from the Lickey has come from (have
seen it mentioned on a great western forum) they have 350hp engines same
as 156's and 153's also NOT banned & more powerful engines than pacers
also NOT banned.

150's are booked on Saturdays & Sundays up & down via Bromsgrove. They
also cover for shortages of 170's occasionally.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Prototype 150's are a maintenance nightmare. To many nonstandard and
obsolete parts & hated by traincrew. Known as scud 1 & 2 in reference to
the Iraqi missiles of gulf war fame ( i.e. You aim them in the general
direction of where you want to go & hope they get there!!)
 

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
20 Mar 2011
Messages
3,894
Location
West Country
150's have always had diagrams up the Lickey. They are not underpowered
and a good 150 will outperform a 170 away from Bromsgrove. Don't know
where this rubbish about being banned from the Lickey has come from (have
seen it mentioned on a great western forum) they have 350hp engines same
as 156's and 153's also NOT banned & more powerful engines than pacers
also NOT banned.

150's are booked on Saturdays & Sundays up & down via Bromsgrove. They
also cover for shortages of 170's occasionally.
I did think that was odd when I saw a 150 going to New St depart Droitwich. Don't trust what wiki says either :lol:
 

sprinterguy

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Mar 2010
Messages
11,578
Location
Macclesfield
AFAIK, it is only the 158s that have higher rated 350hp engines. The other Sprinter classes (150, 153 and 156) have 285hp engines.

Out of curiosity, what's going to cover the Coventry-Nuneaton shuttle: Surely it isn't getting an upgrade to a 172 unit?
 

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
20 Mar 2011
Messages
3,894
Location
West Country
Out of curiosity, what's going to cover the Coventry-Nuneaton shuttle: Surely it isn't getting an upgrade to a 172 unit?
I don't know, it's operated by a 153 insn't it? Why would they replace that? LM only ordered equal numbers of 172s to 150s (at the moment ;)) so surely there isn't enough?
 

sprinterguy

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Mar 2010
Messages
11,578
Location
Macclesfield
I don't know, it's operated by a 153 insn't it? Why would they replace that? LM only ordered equal numbers of 172s to 150s (at the moment ;)) so surely there isn't enough?
Exactly, but it isn't incuded in newtownmgrs list of services that 153s are being retained for, which is why I'm curious.
 

newtownmgr

On Moderation
Joined
2 Jan 2011
Messages
738
AFAIK, it is only the 158s that have higher rated 350hp engines. The other Sprinter classes (150, 153 and 156) have 285hp engines.

Out of curiosity, what's going to cover the Coventry-Nuneaton shuttle: Surely it isn't getting an upgrade to a 172 unit?


Oops! You are correct with engine sizes. My mistake.

As regards Cov - Nun possibly 170's but not heard anything.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top