• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

123mph speeding crash: "Insulting" prison sentence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lost property

On Moderation
Joined
2 Jun 2016
Messages
739
Given that this was a nonviolent offence, the same could have been achieved by a driving ban, with a much lower cost to the taxpayer.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


Surely that statement could be applied to anyone that has ever had an accident? I scratched my wing mirror against a wall last week, should I be banned for life?
I wouldn't call the sudden dissipation of kinetic energy involving xxx kgs of car travelling at 123 mph a non violent offence.

Your last statement is puerile, given you didn't actually kill anybody, which is the key point.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,546
Location
LBK
Well thats another issue.

He certainly should be disqualified from driving for life.
Seen it argued that a lifetime disqualification is unlikely to work - as people need to drive so much in this country it is severely limiting to one’s work and social prospects. I’m not entirely sold on lifetime bans myself but I would absolutely support speed limiting cars at NSL +10.
 

Yew

Established Member
Joined
12 Mar 2011
Messages
7,244
Location
UK
Er, how can killing two people by ploughing into their car at 123mph onthe M66 be considered non violent?
It was a road traffic accident, typically violence requires some form of intent. Reckless and dangerous certainly, but I struggle to see any evidence that it was malicious.

Some definitions would include manslaughter due to recklessness, but the person involved was not tried for that.
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,546
Location
LBK
I wouldn't call the sudden dissipation of kinetic energy involving xxx kgs of car travelling at 123 mph a non violent offence.

Your last statement is puerile, given you didn't actually kill anybody, which is the key point.
Indeed road accidents are violent and where aggravated by the extreme disregard the offender had here it is difficult to argue that it isn’t an offence of similar seriousness.

There is no way that a driving ban would have stopped someone like this from actually driving. He already had previous offences and would offend again. Hopelessly naive to suggest the punishment for this sort of accident - pulverising a woman to death with your car - is just to be told not to drive a car again.
 

duncanp

Established Member
Joined
16 Aug 2012
Messages
4,856
It was a road traffic accident, typically violence requires some form of intent. Reckless and dangerous certainly, but I struggle to see any evidence that it was malicious.

I don't think anyone is suggesting it was malicious, but nevertheless the two people killed suffered a violent death.

The offender was indulging in reckless and dangerous behaviour, and not for the first time either.

Therefore a prison sentence, and a long one at that, is entirely justified.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

There is no way that a driving ban would have stopped someone like this from actually driving.
Which is another reason why a prison sentence is justified, as it would give him some time to think about the consequences of his actions.
 

Yew

Established Member
Joined
12 Mar 2011
Messages
7,244
Location
UK
There is no way that a driving ban would have stopped someone like this from actually driving. He already had previous offences and would offend again. Hopelessly naive to suggest the punishment for this sort of accident - pulverising a woman to death with your car - is just to be told not to drive a car again.
And how exactly will locking him up materially improve the situation, and is any benefit worth the cost to the exchequer in both the cost of custody, and the opportunity cost of taxing his income?
Which is another reason why a prison sentence is justified, as it would give him some time to think about the consequences of his actions.
I had forgotten that humans were incapable of thinking about the consequences of their actions unless they were locked up...
 

Loppylugs

Member
Joined
26 Jul 2020
Messages
471
Location
In the doghouse
Surely that statement could be applied to anyone that has ever had an accident? I scratched my wing mirror against a wall last week, should I be banned for life?
Were you doing 123 mph at the time and filming yourself driving with one hand? No comparison is there?

My condolences to the wall.
 
Last edited:

skyhigh

Established Member
Joined
14 Sep 2014
Messages
6,888
Surely that statement could be applied to anyone that has ever had an accident? I scratched my wing mirror against a wall last week, should I be banned for life?
Did you do it while recklessly breaking several laws and kill somebody at the same time?
 

66701GBRF

Member
Joined
3 Jun 2017
Messages
913
And how exactly will locking him up materially improve the situation, and is any benefit worth the cost to the exchequer in both the cost of custody, and the opportunity cost of taxing his income?
Really? All your concerned about is costs??
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,546
Location
LBK
And how exactly will locking him up materially improve the situation, and is any benefit worth the cost to the exchequer in both the cost of custody, and the opportunity cost of taxing his income?
As you’re arguing against the status quo it’s up to you to provide an argument as to why your situation would be better. “The status quo is imperfect” isn’t by itself a reason to change. I agree it is very imperfect, but “criminals should actually just be allowed to be free, and work, straight after killing a woman and unborn child, so we can tax their income” is not exactly a great argument is it?

What consequences do you think Mr Iqbal should suffer for this frankly disgraceful crime - which in many jurisdictions would be tried as manslaughter? This bloke enjoys driving recklessly; he has done it repeatedly, has a previous conviction for a driving offence and a warning for street racing. The man needs to be punished and made to suffer consequences. So far we’ve got “ban him from driving” - because the interventions so far like “hello this is the police, please don’t race on the street you might kill someone” have been effective haven’t they? - what else?
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,804
Seen it argued that a lifetime disqualification is unlikely to work - as people need to drive so much in this country it is severely limiting to one’s work and social prospects. I’m not entirely sold on lifetime bans myself but I would absolutely support speed limiting cars at NSL +10.
It's a poor argument against lifetime bans though - if driving is that important to 'life' perhaps we shouldn't bother with a driving test. The reality is that to obtain a licence you have to prove a level of competence to drive, so why shouldn't those who prove they cannot drive responsibly and competently lose their licence?
 
Last edited:

birchesgreen

Established Member
Joined
18 Aug 2015
Messages
7,678
Location
Solihull
It's a poor argument against lifetime bans though - if driving is that important to 'life' perhaps we shouldn't bother with a driving test. The reality is the to obtain a licence you have to prove a level of competence to drive, so why shouldn't those who prove they cannot drive responsibly and competently lose their licence?
Yeah plenty of people manage to survive without driving. And if it inconveniences someone who causes a bad accident, then tough.
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,546
Location
LBK
Yeah plenty of people manage to survive without driving. And if it inconveniences someone who causes a bad accident, then tough.
It’s not going to actually work though. It’s a crime which is almost impossible to detect as long as the vehicle is insured by someone. I have never ever been stopped and asked for my driving licence by a copper in 16 years of driving. Not once!
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,804
It’s a crime which is almost impossible to detect as long as the vehicle is insured by someone.
What? Dangerous driving, in the case under discussion, was detected. And insurance isn't relevant to quality of driving.
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,546
Location
LBK
What? Dangerous driving, in the case under discussion, was detected. And insurance isn't relevant to quality of driving.
I’m talking about driving while unlicensed or banned. You can’t detect that in practice unless they are also committing other road offences, so I can’t see how that is an effective deterrent or punishment in lieu of being jailed for brutally killing someone with your vehicle.
 

nw1

Established Member
Joined
9 Aug 2013
Messages
9,430
12 years is actually quite a long stretch for something which wasn't pre-meditated.

How exactly is it lenient?

It's not an unduly harsh sentence (indeed, it's probably fair), but on the other hand it's an incredibly hardline point of view to consider 12 years lenient.
 
Last edited:

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,804
I’m talking about driving while unlicensed or banned. You can’t detect that in practice unless they are also committing other road offences, so I can’t see how that is an effective deterrent or punishment in lieu of being jailed for brutally killing someone with your vehicle.
So, you are arguing that we shouldn't ban people from driving because it's too difficult to detect them defying that ban? Have I got that right?
 

Lost property

On Moderation
Joined
2 Jun 2016
Messages
739
I’m talking about driving while unlicensed or banned. You can’t detect that in practice unless they are also committing other road offences, so I can’t see how that is an effective deterrent or punishment in lieu of being jailed for brutally killing someone with your vehicle.
In theory, no they can't be detected, however, they tend to be so arrogant / thick, they do commit other road offences almost by default as the many police series would confirm.
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,546
Location
LBK
So, you are arguing that we shouldn't ban people from driving because it's too difficult to detect them defying that ban? Have I got that right?

No, you haven't. I have made no such argument in the thread. I am saying that the position of a poster who suggested:

- that *instead of jail*, a driving ban is an appropriate level of deterrence and punishment for someone who not only killed a person in the most appalling, most culpable way on the road, but also has a history of defying requirements to be insured, and defying warnings not to race on the public road...

is not defensible or realistic, because a driving ban is a relatively minor inconvenience. You simply drive someone else's (insured, taxed) car, and you won't be detected if you aren't committing any other offences.

Therefore, another punishment is required, above and beyond merely being banned from driving. And in any case it is worth wondering why lifetime bans aren't a thing and never have been given they would be politically popular.

Driving bans are not a useful punishment or deterrent to people who have committed repeated and seriously reckless road offences, and certainly not to someone who seemed to make it his "thing" to record himself driving very fast and very recklessly.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

In theory, no they can't be detected, however, they tend to be so arrogant / thick, they do commit other road offences almost by default as the many police series would confirm.
Indeed, and that banned drivers do drive again, frequently, and commit other road offences, frequently, should be quite enough to suggest that in this very egregious case it's not likely to be a good substitute for jail time.
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,804
is not defensible or realistic, because a driving ban is a relatively minor inconvenience. You simply drive someone else's (insured, taxed) car, and you won't be detected if you aren't committing any other offences.
That is clearly arguing that we shouldn't ban people because it is difficult to detect.
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,546
Location
LBK
That is clearly arguing that we shouldn't ban people because it is difficult to detect.
It is not, and despite making my argument clear you continue to wilfully misrepresent it by selectively quoting. I am not arguing, anywhere in the thread, that no person should be banned from driving ever.

It is not my position, I have not said it, and when you asked for clarification I clarified that was not my position, and yet you are still here, misrepresenting what has been said.
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,804
It is not, and despite making my argument clear you continue to wilfully misrepresent it by selectively quoting. I am not arguing, anywhere in the thread, that no person should be banned from driving ever.

It is not my position, I have not said it, and when you asked for clarification I clarified that was not my position, and yet you are still here, misrepresenting what has been said.
If anyone is misrepresenting your position, it is you - I am trying to get a clear understanding of your comments. All your comments appear to say that you think that driving bans can serve no useful purpose.
 

Loppylugs

Member
Joined
26 Jul 2020
Messages
471
Location
In the doghouse
12 years is actually quite a long stretch for something which wasn't pre-meditated.

How exactly is it lenient?

It's not an unduly harsh sentence (indeed, it's probably fair), but on the other hand it's an incredibly hardline point of view to consider 12 years lenient.
The sentence this offender handed down to the family of the deceased will last a life time, even the two boys will never return to anything like a normal life. This egotistic stupid prat will probably be out in six years , still in his twenties and still stupid. How anyone can believe his sentence is harsh is beyond comprehension. Good riddance (for six years at least).
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,546
Location
LBK
If anyone is misrepresenting your position, it is you - I am trying to get a clear understanding of your comments. All your comments appear to say that you think that driving bans can serve no useful purpose.
I have literally not said that, and I apologise for patronising you here, but I will now simply quote what I have said in thread, none of which relates to an opinion that "driving bans can serve no useful purpose" or that "nobody should ever be banned from driving".

Seen it argued that a lifetime disqualification is unlikely to work
My emphasis, making clear it is not my position, but have read it elsewhere. "Seen it argued" does not imply agreement. Relating to lifetime bans only.

There is no way that a driving ban would have stopped someone like this from actually driving. He already had previous offences and would offend again. Hopelessly naive to suggest the punishment for this sort of accident - pulverising a woman to death with your car - is just to be told not to drive a car again.
My emphasis, showing my comments are relating only to the very serious nature of the offending actually under discussion in the thread, and the "just" is in direct response to the tweet under discussion by @Yew who said

Given that this was a nonviolent offence, the same could have been achieved by a driving ban, with a much lower cost to the taxpayer.

- his comments relating specifically to this offence under discussion in this thread where he talks about how the justice system can ensure the offender wouldn't be a danger to the public if he was simply banned from driving.

I’m talking about driving while unlicensed or banned. You can’t detect that in practice unless they are also committing other road offences, so I can’t see how that is an effective deterrent or punishment in lieu of being jailed for brutally killing someone with your vehicle.


Here I am replying to you, and I specifically frame that a driving ban is not effective as a deterrent or punishment specifically for the offence and circumstances under discussion in the thread, and say it cannot be used as a deterrent or punishment in lieu of prison. (That bit is really important, do you see how I am not making any sort of general argument against driving bans or suggest they never have any use in the justice system whatsoever?)

No, you haven't. I have made no such argument in the thread.
This is where I'm replying to you saying I have never said made any general point about never "banning people from driving".

In fact, I have never even argued that Mr Iqbal shouldn't be banned; all of the discussion prior to this has been about how it can't be used, as @Yew suggests, as a deterrence and preventive measure in lieu of prison for this man who has committed this offence.

At no point did I make any general point that my opinion was nobody should ever be banned from driving, anywhere in the thread, yet you remain unsatisfied when I clarify my comments and remain convinced I am arguing a different point. I am not:

Driving bans are not a useful punishment or deterrent to people who have committed repeated and seriously reckless road offences, and certainly not to someone who seemed to make it his "thing" to record himself driving very fast and very recklessly.
This is part of my direct reply to you clarifying and I find it hard to believe you are unable to comprehend it, because you quoted selectively from this post to make a tedious sideline.

A few other select points where I take great care to lay out that I, again, with tedious repetition, am speaking against this man and this offence and in relation to the ban being a substitute for jail time, and not making a general point against driving bans:
- that *instead of jail*, a driving ban is an appropriate level of deterrence and punishment for someone who not only killed a person in the most appalling, most culpable way on the road, but also has a history of defying requirements to be insured, and defying warnings not to race on the public road...

is not defensible or realistic, because a driving ban is a relatively minor inconvenience. You simply drive someone else's (insured, taxed) car, and you won't be detected if you aren't committing any other offences.

Therefore, another punishment is required, above and beyond merely being banned from driving.

Indeed, and that banned drivers do drive again, frequently, and commit other road offences, frequently, should be quite enough to suggest that in this very egregious case it's not likely to be a good substitute for jail time.


Hopefully this English comprehension lesson has been useful and the "...instead of jail, for this man who committed this sort of offence" has managed to penetrate.
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,804
I hope you enjoyed that, because it still doesn't make your position clear. And I will not engage with you further on the subject.
 

PudseyBearHST

Member
Joined
28 Sep 2015
Messages
1,122
Location
South West
It’s besides the point though. Even if a driving ban is effective and he actually doesn’t operate a motor vehicle ever in his life again, that’s not proportionate to his actions. It’s absurd to suggest that someone who has committed 3rd degree murder is only given a driving ban which is a minor inconvenience at best.
 

birchesgreen

Established Member
Joined
18 Aug 2015
Messages
7,678
Location
Solihull
It’s besides the point though. Even if a driving ban is effective and he actually doesn’t operate a motor vehicle ever in his life again, that’s not proportionate to his actions. It’s absurd to suggest that someone who has committed 3rd degree murder is only given a driving ban which is a minor inconvenience at best.
Well it should be as part of a custodial sentence, and also enforced by a harsh penalty.
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,546
Location
LBK
I hope you enjoyed that, because it still doesn't make your position clear. And I will not engage with you further on the subject.
I never meant to state any position on whether I think driving bans are, in general, an acceptable tool for the justice system to have at its disposal because nobody ever asked and it was off topic.

It’s probably for the best that you don’t engage further!
 

LowLevel

Established Member
Joined
26 Oct 2013
Messages
8,925
*yawn*

The guy had been done before, on several occasions, including "polite" and seemingly inappropriate warnings for getting behind the wheel of a several ton weapon and using it in a potentially disastrous way in public.

He then did it again (and on the balance of probability, no doubt on other occasions where he wasn't caught) and killed innocent people. Using a motor vehicle in the way he did is potentially lethal and it's obvious.

Forget him, delete him, who cares. My right to be protected from him is more important than any attempt to correct him for whatever remains of his 3 score years and 10.

I hate people who behave like this. It is a big subject in our local area at the moment because one of our local racers who like to screech around residential roads and dual carriageways with impunity has just killed an innocent cyclist, and on doing so cleared off from the scene and then torched the car.

Predictably having been caught with their pants down for not having acted previously, albeit kudos to them for catching the perpetrator quickly despite their attempts to destroy the evidence, the police are now to be seen en masse in all locations in the town where this is an issue and are seizing motors left right and centre.

I don't *want* him to see the light of day again and it is far from keyboard warriorism - it makes me absolutely seethe.

It is all well and good for people like Tazi Hupefi to sniffily advise people that their views on criminal justice do not pass muster and they're wrong, but tough.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top