Only 31 of the existing 52 sets will be lengthened under the current proposal (62 new carriages in total) with 4 new 390s of 11 carriages in length (although the original tender says these will be delivered in 9 car form and upgraded which does not appear to have happened with 390054)
http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/+/http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/rail/pi/pendolinolengthening/tender/main.pdf
Virgin Trains also have the tender to comission the new 390s and extend the existing 31 as well from what I understand. They should all be extended in my opinion
Thanks Geezertronic - very interesting document. I have read as far as Page 8 so far but there are an awful lot of facts given-away/inferred in the Glossary of Terms (pages 5&6). The 31 units to be extended I dont dispute - I blame my memory for saying 32. Like you say - looks obvious that the extra four 390s were supposed to be delivered as 9-cars and the document even states the advantages of this on page 8 second paragraph after the bullet points.
Conjecture but perhaps Virgin have been put out by discovering that the extra 9-car 390s are turning up as 11-car 390s !. I wonder at what stage Virgin discovered this. I would have thought they would have been far more more use as 9-car 390s.
If it was me, my preferences (in order) would be :
1) Four extra standard length 9-car 390s.
2) Extension of the WHOLE of the existing of the fleet by 2-cars.
3) As per 2) and 1) PLUS extension of the extra four units.
4) Four new 9-car 390s and then extension of 60% of the rest of the fleet !. The new 390s could be put straight into service to cover other 390s being out of service. With no pressure to lengthen the older 390s quickly.
5) Four new 11-car 390s and then extension of 60% of the rest of the fleet !.
My guess is that the Dft realised the attractiveness of only accepting part 1 above and so "encouraged" Virgin to take on the extension of 60% of the existing 390s by making sure the extra four 390s started life as 11-car units !. The Dft probably underestimated Virgin's unwillingness (my conjecture) to take on the lengthening project let alone for only part of the fleet. So Virgin saw red.
In other words, like you (Geezertronic), and most of the rest of the sane world we want a standard set of units. I also noted year(s) ago that the Four new 11-car 390s require 44 coaches. This was exactly the right number of coaches to extend the remaining 40% of the fleet. Well until one was written of at Grayrigg. I doubt if this fact escaped Virgin !.