• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

1030 train from Kings Cross to Dundee

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorEast

Member
Joined
20 Jul 2018
Messages
68
There's a 1030 train from Kings Cross to Edinburgh on weekdays. LNER's reservation system lets me reserve a seat on this train and the connecting train in Edinburgh - gets me to Waverley 1508 and there's a 1530 connection to Dundee. However, LNER and other ticketing sites won't sell me a ticket on this train - only offering the Limo service at 1045 instead.

Can I get on the 1030 train from Kings Cross to Edinburgh using a super off-peak single from London to Dundee? And would I still be eligible for Delay Repay if my journey is delayed because my first train arrives late and I miss the Edinburgh connection? I can't see any reason why not, but it seems an odd quirk of ticketing sites.

I'd prefer LNER over Lumo as I'd like to buy an upgrade to 1st via Seatfrog
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,547
Location
LBK
What do you mean by "super advance single"? There is no such ticket type.
 

NorEast

Member
Joined
20 Jul 2018
Messages
68
Sorry - I meant super off-peak single. Apologies - been a very long day! I'll edit my first post to correct - thanks for pointing out my mistake
 

anothertyke

Member
Joined
23 Jun 2023
Messages
381
Location
Leeds
If you go to the LNER site and apply the filters LNER train and change Edinburgh, it comes up with 1030/1640 with a super off peak single fare (£105 the day I looked).
 

NorEast

Member
Joined
20 Jul 2018
Messages
68
That works - thanks for solving my problem!

Anyone got any hints for working out what bid is needed for an 'instant win' on Seatfrog? :)
 

kkong

Member
Joined
8 Sep 2008
Messages
1,169
Anyone got any hints for working out what bid is needed for an 'instant win' on Seatfrog? :)

No, but on LNER "off peak" trains, you can upgrade on board for a fixed price of £45 between London and Dundee (or indeed any other station north of York).
 

NorEast

Member
Joined
20 Jul 2018
Messages
68
Thanks! You just go to the train manager before it leaves Kings Cross and ask? Looks like it's subject to availability - so I wouldn't be sure of availability until the day?
 

kkong

Member
Joined
8 Sep 2008
Messages
1,169
Thanks! You just go to the train manager before it leaves Kings Cross and ask? Looks like it's subject to availability - so I wouldn't be sure of availability until the day?

If there is an unreserved seat in First Class, just sit in it and request the £45 off peak upgrade when the train manager comes round.
 

NorEast

Member
Joined
20 Jul 2018
Messages
68
Thanks. The manager on LNER services wouldn't complain about me sitting in 1st without having a ticket first?

Sorry about the slow reply - I missed the notification
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,455
Location
Yorkshire
Thanks. The manager on LNER services wouldn't complain about me sitting in 1st without having a ticket first?
They would ask you to pay the upgrade; they'd only 'complain' if you refused to pay!

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

There's a 1030 train from Kings Cross to Edinburgh on weekdays. LNER's reservation system lets me reserve a seat on this train and the connecting train in Edinburgh - gets me to Waverley 1508 and there's a 1530 connection to Dundee. However, LNER and other ticketing sites won't sell me a ticket on this train - only offering the Limo service at 1045 instead.
The forum's site allows you to exclude Lumo from searches (alternatively, you could specify additional interchange time)
Can I get on the 1030 train from Kings Cross to Edinburgh using a super off-peak single from London to Dundee?
Yes; our site will sell such a ticket for this itinerary.
And would I still be eligible for Delay Repay if my journey is delayed because my first train arrives late and I miss the Edinburgh connection? I can't see any reason why not, but it seems an odd quirk of ticketing sites.
You can claim Delay Repay, providing you don't do anything to incur a delay. For example, if you had an itinerary for the 1045, and it was on time, and you saw the 1030 was going to be 30 minutes late departing, it would be very difficult to justify a claim if you chose not to board the 1045.

I'd recommend obtaining an itinerary for the actual trains you want to catch; the forum's ticketing site has many advanced options, so it should almost always be possible to achieve that.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top