• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

071 Class Railtour - Ireland 03rd Oct 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drimnagh Road

Member
Joined
13 Mar 2009
Messages
688
Location
Dublin
Anybody fancy a day trip over to my land for some quality traction? Railway Preservation Society of Ireland are running a trip on Sunday 3rd of October.

This will be a diesel-hauled train featuring an 071 (requested) and the Dublin heritage set.


The itinerary will be:

Dublin Connolly 09:20
Arklow 12:30
Dublin Connolly 14:19
Mullingar 17:40
Dublin Connolly 19:25

(Approx 200 miles 071 haulage)

Tickets (Adult €30, Concession €15) available from:

RPSI Tickets
Docklands Innovation Park
128-130 East Wall Road
Dublin 3

www.rpsi-online.org website yet to be updated but booking form should appear imminently.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

4SRKT

Established Member
Joined
9 Jan 2009
Messages
4,409
Love to, but it's too short notice for me. I've probably had as much action as I can get away with for a very long time TBF. The only plan for the rest of the year is the tractors from York to the Blyth and Tyne with Spitfire on 20th November. Only £20! How do they do it?

Funny agenda for the GM tho, with a bit of two lines. Not much good for any red pen merchants (I haven't been to Sligo for example, so just going to Mullingar would be a bit frustrating).

Is there any major tour planned for next year, like the MRSI jaunt to Tralee in May? Preferably starting in Belfast to get the last summer of thumpers in as well. I enjoyed this so much in May that I'd plan my entire bashing year around something similar if it's on. It was easily the high spot of this year by miles, although TBF the Catholic church forced me to flag the Capital Deltic (confirming finally and with no further doubt my commitment to atheism), and the class 40 jaunt to Cambridge turned into the largest bout of involuntary skip bashing in living memory, so the rest of the year has been riddled with disappointment :(
 
Last edited:

Drimnagh Road

Member
Joined
13 Mar 2009
Messages
688
Location
Dublin
RPSI aren't really into Red Pen 4SRKT, more cater for the "day out" market. ITG, IRRS, MRSI would be into that sort of thing. RPSI don't even request loco changes, which is fair enough as that's not their specialty.

Seems to be some campaign over on Irish Railway News to get a silenced 201 on the tour for some ridiculous reason.

I'll be damned if I'm going a railtour worked by what is essentially a 66 on 40mph stock. The thing wouldn't get out of notch 1, at least the 071s are slightly underpowered - and unsilenced - so you'll get thrash, even if not in notch 8.

Hopefully sense will prevail and they stick with the 071.


As regards 2011, well the date for the annual 5 day kettle event is confirmed as 5th-10th May. usually there does be a diesel outing on the Friday of these events, however I am not saying there will be in 2011, hopefully there will.

MRSI usually run an event around second last weekend of May, however after May's farce with the "alcohol free" train, you could well see the RPSI just run a tour around this time instead, especially as they are now finally beginning to see that there is a market for a few diesel trips a year.
 
Last edited:

87015

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2006
Messages
5,078
Location
GEML/WCML/SR
Too hard or political to get 171 out as it still works?

Not as though the bully boys have been short of tours this year is it.
 

Thewanderer

Established Member
Joined
15 Nov 2007
Messages
1,450
Location
Ireland
We've all had 071's to Arklow and Mullingar. All the tours this year (except the RPSI 141 trip) have been 071's.

A 201 on the RPSI vintage set would be far more interesting plus over lines that 201's rarely (only on the very odd occasion) operated passenger services over. After the end of the 2010 operating season the Vintage set is the be withdrawn.
 

4SRKT

Established Member
Joined
9 Jan 2009
Messages
4,409
Won't be able to do the 5 day steam tour as it would essentially involve a week away from home and certain divorce. Although this would obviously remove future restrictions on bashing, on reflection it probably isn't worth the immediate-term aggravation! I wouldn't really want to do it either TBF, as it's a fairly pedestrian affair, and although the RPSI are lovely people (including some of my oldest friends), 5 days hanging around with kettle veg is too much for me.

A big high mileage 111/071 tour is what I want, or maybe some action with the two 141s. I also need an excuse to get to Belfast for the thumper swansong, although if I can contrive to get on the Steam Enterprise I'll spend the day after it on the Larne line (in tears most probably :().

I wouldn't get out of bed for a 201. Easily the most boring loco I've ever seen or [not] heard. I'd even rather have a duff or a peak by a country mile.
 

Thewanderer

Established Member
Joined
15 Nov 2007
Messages
1,450
Location
Ireland
They must be bad then :lol:

For what they lack in engine thrash they make up for it in traction motor thrash. Many happy memories of being behind a 201 on the Cork line at full pelt with the motors doing a very good impression of a 5WES unit.
 

I T S

Member
Joined
3 Jul 2010
Messages
576
We've all had 071's to Arklow and Mullingar. All the tours this year (except the RPSI 141 trip) have been 071's.

A 201 on the RPSI vintage set would be far more interesting plus over lines that 201's rarely (only on the very odd occasion) operated passenger services over. After the end of the 2010 operating season the Vintage set is the be withdrawn.


071s have been on all tours this year (except 141 tour with rpsi) but I can see where driminagh road is coming from as to my knowledge he's a mileage crank and wants 071 miles etc like many other cranks out there.

where as there is clearly people who want a day out with unusual traction and an 071 isnt unusual as its been to sligo/rosslare/waterford etc this year on tours. However, I think I'll be lineside for this trip as 40mph would drive me bloody bonkers (aka sligo trip)
 

irish whistle

Member
Joined
16 Jun 2010
Messages
8
I think we should all be grateful to get any loco hauled trains we can. I get the novelty of the 201 but sure any loco is better than a railcar all the same. The RPSI has decent comfortable rolling stock, the heritage and cravens sets are unique and make a nice change from the mk2s all over the UK. And by buying a ticket and travelling you're helping keep these sets on the rails and furthering the chances of further such tours in Ireland, diesel or steam.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,839
Location
Nowhere Heath
I'll be damned if I'm going a railtour worked by what is essentially a 66 on 40mph stock.

I nearly cancelled my plans to attend the Shackerstone diesel gala tomorrow when I saw this thread, in a bid to find the cheapest way possible to Dublin. Then I read the above quoted text. Immediately I was put off.

40mph stock? Good grief, that's got to be a horrible ol' drag! I'll most definitely pass!

As for the other chap who said "We've all had 071s to Sligo", say hello to one person who has never had an 071! There's another forum member, heart-of-wessex, who's in the same boat as me. A very good friend of ours has never even left these shores, so not had an 071 either. So that's 3 bashers who have never had an 071! :p
 

irish whistle

Member
Joined
16 Jun 2010
Messages
8
I nearly cancelled my plans to attend the Shackerstone diesel gala tomorrow when I saw this thread, in a bid to find the cheapest way possible to Dublin. Then I read the above quoted text. Immediately I was put off.

40mph stock? Good grief, that's got to be a horrible ol' drag! I'll most definitely pass!

As for the other chap who said "We've all had 071s to Sligo", say hello to one person who has never had an 071! There's another forum member, heart-of-wessex, who's in the same boat as me. A very good friend of ours has never even left these shores, so not had an 071 either. So that's 3 bashers who have never had an 071! :p

I think the 66 reference was to a 201, but it is an 071 is that is advertised for the tour. Don't be put off by the 40mph. There's always a good atmosphere on the RPSI trips, they have a bar serving draught Guinness and whatever else you fancy. The run down to Arklow is pretty scenic too, along the sea all the way to Wicklow and then then you're on the twisty and quite graded section through Rathrum to Arklow. Most of their carriages are CIÉ built 1950s stock which take advantage of the Irish loading guage which makes for nice wide comfy seats, you appreciate the difference over the oul mk2 stock.
 

GM078

Member
Joined
17 Sep 2010
Messages
432
Location
Leinster
Indeed, you can get a 201 on a Cork or Belfast train any day you want, its been 4 months since the last 071 hauled passenger (the MRSI Tralee tour). The 201s will be around for years to come, makes sense to use an 071 while they're around, just like years ago when 141s where commonly used on such trips.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Too hard or political to get 171 out as it still works?

Not as though the bully boys have been short of tours this year is it.

Given that engine has been restricted to the Dublin area this year it's probably best not to take it out on a railtour. Imagine if it failed down in Arklow or Mullingar, miles from a rescue loco! There's no other certified 141s to pair it up with which increases the risk. No, using an 071 and playing it safe makes sense.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
After the end of the 2010 operating season the Vintage set is the be withdrawn.

The heritage set is being swapped for the Cravens next year, as they did last year, but it may well come back the year after. So as far as I know it's not gone for good, thankfully.
 
Last edited:

4SRKT

Established Member
Joined
9 Jan 2009
Messages
4,409
The whole notion of using a 201 on a tour because 071s are more common on tours is frankly ridiculous, and a bit like saying it'd be better to have a 158 operate a tour instead of a 37 because 158s never do tours.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,839
Location
Nowhere Heath
The whole notion of using a 201 on a tour because 071s are more common on tours is frankly ridiculous, and a bit like saying it'd be better to have a 158 operate a tour instead of a 37 because 158s never do tours.

I wholly agree. Not that I'm able to do the tour as it is now, a check of finances and fares means I'd be lucky to get even part the way to Holyhead, never mind Ireland!
 

4SRKT

Established Member
Joined
9 Jan 2009
Messages
4,409
I wholly agree. Not that I'm able to do the tour as it is now, a check of finances and fares means I'd be lucky to get even part the way to Holyhead, never mind Ireland!

You need a new job my friend! You have big, admirable bashing aspirations, but seem to get thwarted by financial considerations too often :(
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,839
Location
Nowhere Heath
You are totally right. Desperate for a decent paying job :(

I ain't done too bad this year though for mileage though, although not a patch on 2008 :(
 

Drimnagh Road

Member
Joined
13 Mar 2009
Messages
688
Location
Dublin
Just back from a great day out! Luckily sense prevailed and 073 worked the tour faultlessly throughout.

Highlight of the day was undoubtedly the unexpected routing on the Newcommon Junction-Glasnevin Junction line on the outbound Mullingar leg. The driver also treated us to the first notch 8 of the day through the tunnel before Glasnevin Junction. The re-start out of Ashtown was also pretty decent.

And, most of the 201 campaigners joined the train for the Connolly-Mullingar run, which I was glad to see. Having campaigned for the RPSI to enter the diesel market over the past few years, my attitude is use it or lose it. A 201 on the heritage set may have looked good on websites perhaps, but won't generate any revenue for the RPSI, get on-board and support railtours in Ireland.

The bar done a roaring trade throughout the day and the four piece band played non-stop.
 

GM078

Member
Joined
17 Sep 2010
Messages
432
Location
Leinster
Just back from a great day out! Luckily sense prevailed and 073 worked the tour faultlessly throughout.

Highlight of the day was undoubtedly the unexpected routing on the Newcommon Junction-Glasnevin Junction line on the outbound Mullingar leg. The driver also treated us to the first notch 8 of the day through the tunnel before Glasnevin Junction. The re-start out of Ashtown was also pretty decent.

And, most of the 201 campaigners joined the train for the Connolly-Mullingar run, which I was glad to see. Having campaigned for the RPSI to enter the diesel market over the past few years, my attitude is use it or lose it. A 201 on the heritage set may have looked good on websites perhaps, but won't generate any revenue for the RPSI, get on-board and support railtours in Ireland.

The bar done a roaring trade throughout the day and the four piece band played non-stop.

+1. A 201 might attract photographers but the thing is photography from the lineside doesn't support the running of tours.

A great day out indeed, the 6 green coaches make a fine sight no matter what is pulling them.
 

4SRKT

Established Member
Joined
9 Jan 2009
Messages
4,409
Just back from a great day out! Luckily sense prevailed and 073 worked the tour faultlessly throughout.

Highlight of the day was undoubtedly the unexpected routing on the Newcommon Junction-Glasnevin Junction line on the outbound Mullingar leg. The driver also treated us to the first notch 8 of the day through the tunnel before Glasnevin Junction. The re-start out of Ashtown was also pretty decent.

And, most of the 201 campaigners joined the train for the Connolly-Mullingar run, which I was glad to see. Having campaigned for the RPSI to enter the diesel market over the past few years, my attitude is use it or lose it. A 201 on the heritage set may have looked good on websites perhaps, but won't generate any revenue for the RPSI, get on-board and support railtours in Ireland.

The bar done a roaring trade throughout the day and the four piece band played non-stop.


Sounds good. Shame I couldn't do it but I'm all bashed out this year and have used up all available credits from the wife for some time to come :(

I love Irish GMs (real ones that is), and want to get as much action as poss before it's too late. Any word on a big do like May's Twelve Counties? I'm getting excited just thinking about the possibility!


Who are these 201 fans anyway?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top