• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

0-60 time of a 185

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,124
Location
Redcar
Oh come on guys 185s are heavy sods but their not that slow after all they do have 2250bhp on tap (yes I know there is more to acceleration than that ;))! Personally I would suspect 0-60 in perfect conditions is probably in the region of a minute or so.
 

BestWestern

Established Member
Joined
6 Feb 2011
Messages
6,736
LOL These things were built for quick acceleration (2200hp for a three car set?) so I would imagine they would be quicker than 4 minutes! :)

Apologies, I've just noticed my imaginary 185 seems to have a 150 attached to the back :D
 

BestWestern

Established Member
Joined
6 Feb 2011
Messages
6,736
That would be quite the tie up seeing as they have incompatible couplers!

TPE knows no bounds ;)

- Slight confession, I read '185' as '175' hence there being a 150 involved!! I realise that, even in these times of deep desperation, TransPennine have not resorted to running 150s!! Yet :o

- In view of this clarity, I ammend my original guesstimate to 2 minutes. Thank you :)
 

317653

Member
Joined
20 Aug 2010
Messages
61
I would say 1-2 mins
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
When I was at York it there was one and it must have reached 40 within 30 secs
 

Donny Dave

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2005
Messages
5,394
Location
Doncaster
Oh come on guys 185s are heavy sods but their not that slow after all they do have 2250bhp on tap (yes I know there is more to acceleration than that ;))! Personally I would suspect 0-60 in perfect conditions is probably in the region of a minute or so.

I'm guessing around 50-52 seconds. The reason ....

Brigg Road is 48 seconds East of Scunthorpe station. A 185 been given the full monty will be powering down and cruising at the 55mph line speed a second or 2 before that.
 

Lampshade

Established Member
Joined
3 Sep 2009
Messages
3,778
Location
South London
Best place to time it would probably be out of Stockport or Bolton, a station where it can just go rather than navigate points.
 

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Joined
23 Jul 2010
Messages
9,671
From what i experience they are the fastest accelerating DMU's. Definitely faster than any other diesel i have rode. Voyagers.... maybe
 

daikilo

Established Member
Joined
2 Feb 2010
Messages
1,623
I'm guessing around 50-52 seconds. The reason ....

Brigg Road is 48 seconds East of Scunthorpe station. A 185 been given the full monty will be powering down and cruising at the 55mph line speed a second or 2 before that.

That is what I consider a reasoned answer if facts are not available.

Just as well, as noone has yet provided anythig resembling facts!
 

notadriver

Established Member
Joined
1 Oct 2010
Messages
3,737
Some logs I've seen suggest it takes about a minute. They are described as having 'electric train' like acceleration.
 

Pumbaa

Established Member
Joined
19 Feb 2008
Messages
5,022
A driver on another forum (Montybazbaz if anyone knows him) reckons they get like for like seconds to speed all the way up to 100 on full blast. They are ridiculously overpowered. Incidentally, the top two notches are locked off until 10mph by the TMS, so you can never get the 'full beans' from a standing start.

Coming out of Edge Hill, they can achieve a speed increase of 45mph in just under 30 seconds (I think the line speed through Mossley Hill is 85, Driver9000 will confirm/change as applicable).
 

MCR247

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2008
Messages
10,292
A driver on another forum (Montybazbaz if anyone knows him) reckons they get like for like seconds to speed all the way up to 100 on full blast. They are ridiculously overpowered. Incidentally, the top two notches are locked off until 10mph by the TMS, so you can never get the 'full beans' from a standing start.

Coming out of Edge Hill, they can achieve a speed increase of 45mph in just under 30 seconds (I think the line speed through Mossley Hill is 85, Driver9000 will confirm/change as applicable).

Is the top notch not locked OOU completely?
 

Pumbaa

Established Member
Joined
19 Feb 2008
Messages
5,022
Yes I think so, I was referring to the top two notches that were still available for use.
 

Fincra5

Established Member
Joined
6 Jun 2009
Messages
2,636
185s are very overpowered, so I don't know where you got them having slow acceleration from....

Was just a joke mate. To me DMUs seem to take forever unlike our fancy pantcy EMUs :)
 

MCR247

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2008
Messages
10,292
Well they would do if your only experience was 171s ;)


Feel sorry for you :lol:
 

Fincra5

Established Member
Joined
6 Jun 2009
Messages
2,636
Indeed :) Just had a quick look up. 422hp per car, that's it...
 

MCR247

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2008
Messages
10,292
Fincra5 works with 377s for Southern IIRC :)

They have:

P1 P2 P3 P4 P5 P6 P7
 

Pumbaa

Established Member
Joined
19 Feb 2008
Messages
5,022
Fairly sure P2 was re-enabled with the advent of Eco-Mode to make cruising easier. But yes, 7 in total.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top