• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

“Showing someone up”

The exile

Established Member
Joined
31 Mar 2010
Messages
9,451
Location
Somerset
As I descend the stairs at Bristol Parkway, I currently often see an advert thanking the London Marathon for “showing up people with autism”. My understanding of the expression was that to “show someone up” was to highlight their failings or inadequacies (etc) with the intention of belittling or humiliating them.
So is this advert a) a trendy reversal of meaning that I’ve not otherwise noticed (or maybe an Americanism?) or b) a broadside attack dripping with sarcasm or c) copy writing that shows the need for sub-editing?
Or gave I read it wrong in some other way (it’s on the electronic screens so I never get enough time to study it fully).
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The exile

Established Member
Joined
31 Mar 2010
Messages
9,451
Location
Somerset
That’s possibly it, then and I’ve just missed the “for”. Seems in itself an odd usage to use in connection with an event organiser given the other established use of “show up” (= attend, turn up).
 

DelW

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2015
Messages
6,024
Perhaps similar to "showing off", which in my childhood was almost always pejorative ("stop showing off and behave properly"), but now seems to be used in the media as demonstrating or even flaunting, e.g. "celebrity X showing off her new tattoos".
 

The exile

Established Member
Joined
31 Mar 2010
Messages
9,451
Location
Somerset
Perhaps similar to "showing off", which in my childhood was almost always pejorative ("stop showing off and behave properly"), but now seems to be used in the media as demonstrating or even flaunting, e.g. "celebrity X showing off her new tattoos".
Though I think that has for a long time depended on whether or not an object is mentioned. It’s ok to show off something (you’re proud of) - within reason, whereas showing (yourself) off is pejorative. Note - I would also see “flaunting” as negative.
 

Top