• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

“Omnibus” Telephones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bogallan

Member
Joined
1 Jul 2014
Messages
39
A recent discussion regarding railway communication led me to being reminded of “Omnibus’ telephones on the railway. They were a box on the wall of an office or signalbox with 4? buttons on them and a handset. I remember there were certainly black and red and white? buttons and perhaps, one other colour. From memory, you pressed the black button and rang a morse code signal down the line, say, 2 short, 2 long presses for Thetford box For instance. The trouble was, the signal passed down the telephone wires adjacent to the track and rang in all offices and signalboxes on the circuit, so if you were nosey you could listen in to the conversation being held, and the more people that listened in, the poorer the signal became!

A little funny story to finish on. I started off my railway career in Norwich, i was a relief clerk and was sometimes posted to compile the signalman‘s/crossing keeper‘s rosters. To say I was not very good at it was an understatement, I was dreadful. I did not (and still do not) have a brain “wired’ to compile rosters. After i had gone home, the Norwich Thorpe station supervisor was responsible for ad-hoc rostering and one day, i arrived for work, all bright and breezy and as I passed through the Supervisor’s office, he bellowed my name out, and said “Come here!” “What’s up? said I. “WHAT’S UP? I’ll tell you what’s up - you’ve just delayed “The London” by an hour - you sent 3 crossing keepers to one crossing and none to 2 others!” Oops. Not my finest hour- I didn’t do many more shifts in the roster office after that, luckily for the railway (and me).

I don’t suppose anybody has a picture of the old faithful Omnibus telephone do they?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,992
Location
Airedale
The KWVR has a complete Omnibus circuit (little used) and I imagine is not unique.
 

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,050
Location
Up the creek
My recollection on the Western Region was that some of the omnibus ’phones only had a single button: lift the handset off its hook and then give the appropriate number of rings. The ones with four buttons weren’t used much: I think that at least one of the buttons had originally gone directly to the exchange, but these had been phased out by my time due to the spread of the dialer. The one box that I can definitely remember having a four-button one didn’t have a dialer, but we were right at the far end of everything and most of the ‘phone circuits, including the Control ‘phone, were thoroughly unreliable; the box to box was the only one that did work properly. Where several omnibus circuits met or overlapped they did seem to try and arrange for the code rings to be the same for each location on all circuits. Oddly, most of mine were five in a row.

The WR box to box circuits and others such as box to auxiliary token instrument also only had a single button on the front: one long ring on that was all that was needed. Some of these only rang one way and the instrument at the other end had no buttons on it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top