• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

‘Any Permitted Route’

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobber

New Member
Joined
12 May 2026
Messages
4
Location
Sheffield
Hi everyone,

im wondering if anyone can advise me regarding ‘Any Permitted Route‘ tickets?

without going into the nuances of my situation, I normally get a train from my local staton Creswell (Derbyshire) to Nottingham each week. I’m wondering if i purchsed this ticket - would it be possible for me to say take a route that actually saw me get a train from Chesterfield to Derby/Nottingham?

hope that makes sense. Any help appreciated.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bobber

New Member
Joined
12 May 2026
Messages
4
Location
Sheffield
No, that’s not allowed either.
Curious. I once purchased a ticket for Creswell to Sheffield by accident when I actually wanted Creswell to Nottingham. I explained what I’d done to the lady checking tickets and the gist of what she said was: ‘Oh it’s fine, you’ve got away with it because of this bit *pointing to ANY ROUTE*, you can take any permitted route’ ‍♂️

Where are you getting your information @jfollows ?
 

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,147
Location
Wilmslow

But if you can get a journey planner to generate a route, that’s also valid.

Creswell to Sheffield is not valid via Nottingham because this fails the fare check rule. Essentially Nottingham to Sheffield is more expensive than Creswell to Sheffield, so can’t be valid with the cheaper ticket.

As you probably know, “any permitted” means “any route permitted by the routeing guide” rather than “any route you feel like using”.
 

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,147
Location
Wilmslow
And Sheffield to Nottingham is only valid via Chesterfield, unless the route via Creswell is the shortest route or not more than 3 miles longer than the shortest route, which I don’t think it is.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top