Hi everyone,
I’d really appreciate some advice as I’m feeling quite overwhelmed.
I’m a university student and between September and 23 November, I was travelling back and forth between Birmingham and Leeds, mainly using CrossCountry. During this period, I was booking tickets using the wrong railcard.
I want to be completely honest and take full responsibility. I was on a very tight student budget and, wrongly, thought I might get away with it. I fully accept that this was dishonest and I’m not trying to excuse my actions.
On 23 November, I was stopped by a ticket inspector. I immediately admitted what I’d done and cooperated fully. Shortly afterwards, on 4 December, I purchased the correct 16–25 Railcard, and since then I have only booked tickets using the correct railcard. I have been fully compliant ever since.
I’ve now received a letter from ITAL on behalf of CrossCountry asking for £2,783.10. As a student with no savings and no financial support from family, I simply cannot afford anything close to this amount. I’m also extremely anxious about the possibility of prosecution.
I’m planning to send a mitigation letter apologising and explaining my circumstances, but I’d really appreciate advice on:
How likely prosecution is in cases like this
Whether settlement or payment arrangements are ever considered
Anything I should avoid saying in my response
If anyone has experience with ITAL or CrossCountry cases, I’d be very grateful for your guidance.
Thank you.
I’d really appreciate some advice as I’m feeling quite overwhelmed.
I’m a university student and between September and 23 November, I was travelling back and forth between Birmingham and Leeds, mainly using CrossCountry. During this period, I was booking tickets using the wrong railcard.
I want to be completely honest and take full responsibility. I was on a very tight student budget and, wrongly, thought I might get away with it. I fully accept that this was dishonest and I’m not trying to excuse my actions.
On 23 November, I was stopped by a ticket inspector. I immediately admitted what I’d done and cooperated fully. Shortly afterwards, on 4 December, I purchased the correct 16–25 Railcard, and since then I have only booked tickets using the correct railcard. I have been fully compliant ever since.
I’ve now received a letter from ITAL on behalf of CrossCountry asking for £2,783.10. As a student with no savings and no financial support from family, I simply cannot afford anything close to this amount. I’m also extremely anxious about the possibility of prosecution.
I’m planning to send a mitigation letter apologising and explaining my circumstances, but I’d really appreciate advice on:
How likely prosecution is in cases like this
Whether settlement or payment arrangements are ever considered
Anything I should avoid saying in my response
If anyone has experience with ITAL or CrossCountry cases, I’d be very grateful for your guidance.
Thank you.