• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Recent content by Santababy

  1. S

    Nursing to train driving, career change, advice please...

    Thank you, that’s interesting to know that if the 2 staff that left, one has returned. Speaks volumes about the job / railway!
  2. S

    Nursing to train driving, career change, advice please...

    Thank you for your very real and considered reply. I appreciate it. How do you find it to keep up with the constant alterations to the rules and regulations / works on the rail leading to temporary speed restrictions and driving rules etc? Do you get informed or do you have to hunt that...
  3. S

    Nursing to train driving, career change, advice please...

    Very good point. Money is not the be all and end all. I’ve spent a lot of my career to this point thinking this, maybe more to make myself feel better about my wages, but it’s a very valid point, especially when it’s not just me to consider. The thought of the actual train driving and learning...
  4. S

    Nursing to train driving, career change, advice please...

    Wow, getting your leave in must be as stressful as trying to get tickets to your favourite but very popular band, eek! Yes the unpredictability of the shifts and the perceived isolation / boredom are worries of mine. One of the reasons I posted on this is to hear other people’s thoughts and...
  5. S

    Nursing to train driving, career change, advice please...

    Thanks for your reply. We are similar in that you can only have a certain amount of staff off at once, and names get drawn out of a hat for 1st and 2nd choice of a/l at busy times (summer holidays, Xmas). However we can book up to 2,5 years in advance. That being said, with train driving it...
  6. S

    Nursing to train driving, career change, advice please...

    Thanks for your reply. There does seem to be lots more ex-police than ex-NHS people on this forum, but it’s still nice to see you wouldn’t be the only one from your profession. It’s also nice to hear their perspective. Good luck with your application.
  7. S

    Nursing to train driving, career change, advice please...

    Suppose at least if I’m bored with my work now I can still have good banter with my colleagues. In a cab you’d be stuck with no company so I can see your point, thank you. How do your colleagues manage the boredom out of interest?
  8. S

    Nursing to train driving, career change, advice please...

    Thanks for your reply. A train driver a first but wouldn’t say no to being a manager once I had been in the profession long enough to know what I was doing so I could become an effective manager, maybe 10 years or so... I do have more to learn in my profession, but to do so would be a massive...
  9. S

    Nursing to train driving, career change, advice please...

    I’ve been in 15 years and paid into the pension all that time. Don’t think I can transfer in my pension so it would freeze. Not spoken to a financial advisor, good route to go down so thanks for that advice! Jumping ship or protecting myself from all the problems that I’ve been fighting so hard...
  10. S

    Nursing to train driving, career change, advice please...

    I am struggling to understand how 7 days on shift on the bounce would work for me, but I am applying my knowledge of 12 hour shifts to that- 3-4x12 hour shifts in a row are enough for me, think 7 would kill me! But if you as a driver get shorter shifts and breaks then that will certainly help...
  11. S

    Nursing to train driving, career change, advice please...

    That's good to know, so a family wedding at a time when you weren't on a period of fixed annual leave could easily be still attended by using floating A/L. Thank you
  12. S

    Nursing to train driving, career change, advice please...

    variety of reasons... I am bored where I am, with no real progression due to cuts for any advancement of career, I like shift work and nights, I will still get time off with the kids, I like some time on my own, I want to learn more things- I am bored where I am, I am a perfectionist who likes...
  13. S

    Nursing to train driving, career change, advice please...

    thank you, that's good to know. what about things like annual leave though? Where I work we have to book leave up to 2 1/2 years in advance, especially to get 2 weeks off in the summer school holidays! Very far in advance which is difficult, but also good because you know where you are for...
  14. S

    Nursing to train driving, career change, advice please...

    thank you for your reply. Do you happen to know what type of shifts depot drivers do? I'm guessing they do more evenings / nights due to the fact most trains are out in use during the daytimes.
  15. S

    Nursing to train driving, career change, advice please...

    I was wondering if anyone on this forum is / was a nurse before changing to a train driving career? It appears some of the main pros for train driving (from reading many of the threads on here) are; -4 day working week -strong union -5 days off together every few weeks -obviously the pay In my...

Top