Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!
Well, I have learned one thing, your Rule Book refers to MCB (Manned crossing with barriers) and OD (Barrier crossing with obstacle detection). It doesn't refer to MCB -OD.
That's cleared that one up!
Carriageline, I really am not very good at explaining myself am I.
Currently, anyone standing on the highway is protected from passing trains by a heavy duty gate. I merely said if you were a young mum with a baby in a buggy, would you prefer to be protected by a set of gates or face the...
Philip Phlopp, Signal T645 needs to be moved by a couple of metres. That means, the platform will be a couple of metres shorter, which in turn means slightly less than 7 and half carriages will be on the platform as oppose to the full 7 and half carriages at the moment (12 carriage trains stop...
OxtedL, I am rapidly learning that the Railway is extremely complicated!
I still think Network Rail are being disingenuous by saying the crossing is manually operated. Surely a Manually Operated crossing is one where a signaller lowers the barriers him/herself when they are assured the...
Yabbadabba, I take your point. However a quick 'Google' shows that 'Stowmarket Control' appears to be used quite widely on the Network. I guess therefore the Standard needs to catch up with the actuality, otherwise what is the point of a Standard?
Yabbadabba I never said anything of the sort! My point was, if there is a Standard that says where a signal shall be located, why is it acceptable to deviate from that Standard? A Standard is a Standard is it not? Or maybe the Standard needs re-writing?
Can you help me out on this MCB (OD)...
Some people posting on here clearly think the Railway has a God given right to do what it likes, others are far more reasonable. Do you not think it is incumbent on Network Rail to present an entirely accurate, honest, even handed and best possibile case?
It has now occurred to me that the...
Tomnick, you provide some very well explained answers. As an outsider though, I find a lot of what appear to be innacuracies in some of the information put forward by Network Rail. I stumbled across the application for a deviation from the standard and even that seems to include factually...
DarloRich, surely if you have to wait until the next Ice Age for product testing, acceptance etc, the Railway must be at a standstill re progress?
OxtedL, I thought it had been established in an earlier post that there will be some circumstances due to failure where it will be possible for a...
I have learned some facts that could make useful headlines for the 'anti brigade' e.g 'Trains can pass through crossing with barriers raised', "Network Rail has non standard signal protecting crossing', 'Passengers can alight while train held at signal' etc. None of these statements would be...
In my 'Black and White' world I find it odd that a deviation from a prescribed standard can be portrayed as a benefit?
Yabbadabba, in the London bound direction, the new signal is approximately 150 metres (my estimate) before the platform. Should I be worried about a train being held there and...
Merely inquisitive - I am an engineer and like to understand things. I have worked out that the protecting signal cannot be located in the correct place (well it can, but NR can save circa £400k by not doing so) and therefore NR have sought a deviation from the relevant standard. The bit that...
We are aware of an issue with emails from the Forum to Microsoft-based email accounts (hotmail/outlook/live.com email addresses). This is being looked into currently, thanks for your patience meanwhile.