• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Recent content by Pelawmain

  1. P

    Ogden's Lane signal box; Deptford, Sunderland

    That's seems the most plausible explanation. I'll have a look at that in a while. You've sorted out in ten minutes what I've pondered over foot at least two years!
  2. P

    Ogden's Lane signal box; Deptford, Sunderland

    Haha, very likely. The NER using a bit of artistic licence. There are many boxes with odd names but this one is so specific yet bears no relation to the road on which it stood.
  3. P

    Ogden's Lane signal box; Deptford, Sunderland

    Yes, l'd looked at the Echo article too. Tedious to say the least! Old Sunderland maps going back to the turn of the 20th Century refer only to Lisburn Terrace - I'm going to have another try this evening and see if I can find some really archaic map where Ogden gets a mention.
  4. P

    Ogden's Lane signal box; Deptford, Sunderland

    I don't think so. Ogden isn't even a name that has any big Sunderland connections - at least that I know of.
  5. P

    Ogden's Lane signal box; Deptford, Sunderland

    Hi Does anyone know how the former Ogden's Lane signal box got its name? I ask because it was actually located in Lisburn Terrace Deptford, and I've been unable to find any reference to an Ogden's Lane in old maps of the town.
  6. P

    North East coal traffic 1960/70s query

    Thanks but no - it was a very odd expression that was something like 'gambling roads' or 'grumbling doors'. It was such an unusual ( and I think localised) phrase, that I think only an ex South Dock driver or freight Guard would be able to recall it - and hopefully tell me what it meant! I...
  7. P

    North East coal traffic 1960/70s query

    No my friend, not trip workings but I imagine it was linked to the bonus working you describe. It was something very unique and ubiquitous to that traffic. I was reminded of the expression in the text of a photo on Flickr and thought at the time, 'I haven't heard that used for many years'...
  8. P

    North East coal traffic 1960/70s query

    Hi This is a tester for any you with knowledge/memories of the intense class 37 coal train workings in the Sunderland area about thirty odd years back. I'm trying to recall a two word expression that was used by train crews and operating staff to describe these 37 hauled class 9 workings. I...

Top