• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Recent content by Isisbridge

  1. I

    FGW trains idling at Oxford sidings overnight

    Thanks. Seems to be vindicating my argument. Links to my photos of the sidings: http://www.flickr.com/photos/61686932@N00/4601354879/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/61686932@N00/4601355629/
  2. I

    FGW trains idling at Oxford sidings overnight

    A lot of faults then? Every night for six months, two years running? As for the sign telling the drivers to SHUT DOWN, I think you'll find that it applies to night berthing! Because I do remember some time back our local councillor saying she wanted signs put up to remind the drivers to...
  3. I

    FGW trains idling at Oxford sidings overnight

    Why all this talk about HSTs? I think it's 165/166 units that are causing the problem. I've just noticed there's a prominent sign on the sidings which appears to say something like this: THINK ENVIRONMENT REDUCE ENGINE EMISSIONS AND NOISE LEVELS SHUT DOWN ENGINES ONCE UNITS ARE...
  4. I

    FGW trains idling at Oxford sidings overnight

    That's right. A 1980 building in the heart of a Victorian development. Nothing to do with these new developments on Network Rail land.
  5. I

    FGW trains idling at Oxford sidings overnight

    Not sure if that's true actually. Jericho is early Victorian.
  6. I

    FGW trains idling at Oxford sidings overnight

    "THE" new development? That's just one of them!
  7. I

    FGW trains idling at Oxford sidings overnight

    I think it may be the case that this noise nuisance was not in existence when these flats were built. The above poster says the engines were moved up here in 1992. I wasn't around then, but someone told me there were complaints from residents when it first started. It does not follow that...
  8. I

    FGW trains idling at Oxford sidings overnight

    I've no idea what type of trains they are. Perhaps you could look at this photo and let me know: http://www.flickr.com/photos/61686932@N00/4587464869/ --- old post above --- --- new post below --- I live EAST of the railway in a 1980 development.
  9. I

    FGW trains idling at Oxford sidings overnight

    Yep, south-westerly. I was just trying to simplify matters. You're lucky that you could block out the vibration from the generator. Some people can't. Particularly people with certains types of neurological disability. --- old post above --- --- new post below --- I agree there are a...
  10. I

    FGW trains idling at Oxford sidings overnight

    Nice to have a sympathetic response after all the flak! Vibration is indeed the key word and it's not something that I can demonstrate with video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPmSnYjBEHg My video recording is just picking up the higher pitch sounds, which can to some extent be shut out...
  11. I

    FGW trains idling at Oxford sidings overnight

    Like I said, freight trains are not passing every few minutes. Every thirty minutes, you're now saying. And that does not cause me any problem at all. Do the first trains go out at 4am? I thought it was more like 6am? And I haven't noticed it being particularly busy yard during the night...
  12. I

    FGW trains idling at Oxford sidings overnight

    The railway was there, but the sidings only started this ALL NIGHT idling of engines 18 months ago. So why did they suddenly "decide" it would be of "benefit" to do this?
  13. I

    FGW trains idling at Oxford sidings overnight

    According to the person who compiled the report on this matter (not me) there are at least 35 land-based power packs on this site, to enable functions whilst the train is not in use, but apparently the drivers don't bother to use them, preferring simply to leave the engines running.:cry...

Top