TrainTube
Member
- Joined
- 24 Sep 2018
- Messages
- 487
Hopefully the itenary doesn't change too much.Now postponed to run 2nd-5th September 2021.
Hopefully the itenary doesn't change too much.Now postponed to run 2nd-5th September 2021.
Following recent Covid-19 developments, we have decided it would be sensible to postpone GBRf-2021 from our planned April dates until later in the year. Whilst this is disappointing for us all, we are sure everyone will support us in this action.
On the positive side, tentative discussions with all the locomotive and rolling stock owners who we have been working with, have concluded that they can all supply us with their resources for a re-date of Thursday 2nd to Sunday 5th September 2021 and so we will be planning to run our 4-day tour back in the ‘traditional’ month of September. A check on provisional engineering work plans would suggest that we can run our tour as we advertised for April, albeit there will be one or two tweaks to the routing on Friday evening and Sunday afternoon.
We’ll update you on the tweaked route in the coming months and we also aim to release tickets on the traditional day of Good Friday. Please keep an eye on Forums, our website and Facebook posts for updates as things progress and we look forward to finally running this very personal tour and see you in September!
However, please don’t remove the April dates from your diaries just yet… there is still a hope that life will become “more normal” in the Spring/after Easter. Whilst we don’t want to guess, predict or debate what the next few months hold, we are optimistic people and have set ourselves a little challenge. If (and we appreciate it is a big if!) we are able to, we may insert a one-day fun charter into Saturday 17th April. We are not saying where we might go or what with yet, as things will be down to availability of traincrew, volunteer stewards and locomotives at the time – We know not everyone will want to travel on charters straight away, but it would get those that do, to get out and about again and raise that all important cash for charity. Any plans would be announced at short notice as/when/if we know we can run a tour, so could even be 2-3 weeks before we run it, but we’d rather keep the option open as we don’t know when ‘normal’ will be this year.
The Organising Team
About a year late then! Still, it does mean about 3 years between each trip they've done (2015, 2018, 2021). Fits my OCD...Now postponed to run 2nd-5th September 2021.
Except the first was in 2016, which will confuse your OCD.About a year late then! Still, it does mean about 3 years between each trip they've done (2015, 2018, 2021). Fits my OCD...
Was it? Oops!Except the first was in 2016, which will confuse your OCD.![]()
Good evening all!
Now that September looks to be a robust date for our tour and the target date of Good Friday to release the tickets is getting close, we have been tweaking the plan behind the scenes and updating the website.
We were recently made aware of many sporting events happening in Newcastle that weekend and potentially dire/expensive hotel issues, which would not have helped intending passengers or our stewards alike. As a result, we have amended the Saturday plan to head south a little earlier and finish in Carlisle instead of Newcastle. Whilst this makes Saturday a longer journey, it means hotel availability and rates will be better for those that need to book them and we do aim to have a slight lay-in on Sunday!
We've also tweaked the routing around Birmingham on Day N for various reasons, with the 73/1s planning to lead to Bromsgrove. This in part due to the length of the OHLE beyond the station and NR not thinking they could easily get the train down far enough to reverse the train with the signalling if an AC loco was leading.
Over the coming week or two, we will add the relevant booking T&Cs and at 10.00(ish) Good Friday we will remove the password from the Ticket Office page so you can purchase tickets. We'll issue some updates and info on booking before then.
I am pretty sure it will be possible to get off at Newcastle as there is an engine change scheduled. Whether it is possible to get to Carlisle in time for the day 4 departure around 10am might be a different matter. You would also miss out on some class 60 haulage.Will there still be an option to alight at Newcastle on day 3 or will the only option be to stay on the train to Carlisle?
Day 3 was the only day I was planning to do, so that's not an issue for me, I had just planned to go straight home upon arrival into Newcastle!I am pretty sure it will be possible to get off at Newcastle as there is an engine change scheduled. Whether it is possible to get to Carlisle in time for the day 4 departure around 10am might be a different matter. You would also miss out on some class 60 haulage.
Not to mention the fact that you have to stay in Carlisle rather than somewhere nearby - eg although hotel prices in Newcastle city centre are already quite expensive, it would have been feasible to stay in Sunderland or on the coast and still make it for day 4.In my experience hotels in Carlisle on Saturday nights tend to be more expensive than in Newcastle.
In this case though they are cheaper mainly due to events already planned for that date in Newcastle.In my experience hotels in Carlisle on Saturday nights tend to be more expensive than in Newcastle.
At least the ones where you can check in after 22:45.
Good luck for anybody trying for tickets, if it's like the last tour in 2018 it will be a laugh with some interesting locos over unusual lines.
In this case though they are cheaper mainly due to events already planned for that date in Newcastle.
My room was £50 for a family room at Travelodge.Depends if you were wise enough to book somewhere in Newcastle when the change of date got announced with free cancellation before everybody else did (and those other events got announced).
A random search on Booking Dot Com and looks like it's £50 for a guest house ~ 15 minutes walk from the station, but a few of the other options can be ruled out by having early check-in times, everything else seems to be £80+
I'm guessing it may be 401, as LSLs 101 is not in service at the moment, something do with a mechanical fault, but on the other hand it could be 86259, we may just have to wait a while until it's officially announced.What class 86 do people think will feature on the overnight leg? It's got to be one of 86101, 259 or 401 now that the freightliner ones are out of hours?
I'm hoping for 401 then as 259 is dud! Hopefully the 92s are ones that don't operate on the Mk5s.I'm guessing it may be 401, as LSLs 101 is not in service at the moment, something do with a mechanical fault, but on the other hand it could be 86259, we may just have to wait a while until it's officially announced.![]()
401 is a WCRC loco, has it seen any action since ownership change?I'm hoping for 401 then as 259 is dud! Hopefully the 92s are ones that don't operate on the Mk5s.
That I think is only 92032 and 92044, both of which operated the sleeper before the Mk5s. I suggest that taking either on a one way trip to Glasgow might be inefficient for their next working.Hopefully the 92s are ones that don't operate on the Mk5s.
Good Friday 2 April at around 10am has been mentionedReally sorry if this has already been answered, but does anyone know when tickets will be released please?
Nice one, thank youGood Friday 2 April at around 10am has been mentioned

401 is a WCRC loco, has it seen any action since ownership change?
I wouldn't rule either out, or even a DB 92.That I think is only 92032 and 92044, both of which operated the sleeper before the Mk5s. I suggest that taking either on a one way trip to Glasgow might be inefficient for their next working.
DB 92s aren't allowed to move on NR metals according to this post https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/caledonian-sleeper-discussion.118802/page-264#post-3626436.I wouldn't rule either out, or even a DB 92.
There isn't really much class 66 haulage scheduled. It isn't clear whether one class 66 does all three legs on Day 1 but it does seem possible. There are two 66s on Day 4, one with a very short stretch of use between Bescot and Soho) (although I assume it later takes the empty stock from Paddington to Eastleigh).Presumably GBRfs new Railfrieght liveried 66 (66793?) will feature at some point too.
Hmm maybe I should rule out a DB one! I wonder why that is?DB 92s aren't allowed to move on NR metals according to this post https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/caledonian-sleeper-discussion.118802/page-264#post-3626436.
There isn't really much class 66 haulage scheduled. It isn't clear whether one class 66 does all three legs on Day 1 but it does seem possible. There are two 66s on Day 4, one with a very short stretch of use between Bescot and Soho) (although I assume it later takes the empty stock from Paddington to Eastleigh).
It will need to be mainline certified which will narrow it down but presumably it is going to be sandwiched between 7 and 49 in any case. What is the status of the other 50 alliance locomotives at present?Day 4 states 50 alliance aim to provide three class 50’s so 7, 49 and ?????
Anyone know ?