• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Work Experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

43021HST

Established Member
Joined
11 Sep 2008
Messages
1,565
Location
Taunton
How do you apply for work expierience with companys such as network rail, SWT ,DB schenker, Frieghtliner or FGW or any other company as a matter of fact.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

the sniper

Established Member
Joined
4 Sep 2007
Messages
3,498
Write to them.

This is what I did, try and address it to their Human Resources department, the addresses can often be found on the TOC's websites. Some TOC's are open to work experience'ers, some will write back and say sorry but no, others will ignore you.

As 37401 says, I doubt you'll get any FOC's or anything decent at Network Rail as you obviously won't be able to go anywhere where PTS is required.

The experience is great if you can get in. I enjoyed it so much I did it twice! :D

Good luck. ;)
 

LondonLarry

Member
Joined
20 Jul 2009
Messages
275
Location
Wherever I lay my hat, that's my home
This is what I did, try and address it to their Human Resources department, the addresses can often be found on the TOC's websites. Some TOC's are open to work experience'ers, some will write back and say sorry but no, others will ignore you.

As 37401 says, I doubt you'll get any FOC's or anything decent at Network Rail as you obviously won't be able to go anywhere where PTS is required.

The experience is great if you can get in. I enjoyed it so much I did it twice! :D

Good luck. ;)

Any decent TOC will offer a work experience placement - depends on what you want to try your hand at!
 

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2005
Messages
1,975
When DBS was EWS, I asked the area manager at Newport if it would be possible, they said yes shouldn't be a problem, just write to us and we'll sort it out. Then they turned around and said No. :-\
 

43021HST

Established Member
Joined
11 Sep 2008
Messages
1,565
Location
Taunton
Guess what I phoned First Great Western They told me to go and speak to the manager of Reading Station tomorrow I hope I get somewhere all I need him/her to do is just sign a few things and get his permission.
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
Guess what I phoned First Great Western They told me to go and speak to the manager of Reading Station tomorrow I hope I get somewhere all I need him/her to do is just sign a few things and get his permission.

WARNING! Work experience at Reading station may put you off railways for life :lol:
 

43021HST

Established Member
Joined
11 Sep 2008
Messages
1,565
Location
Taunton
Why?

anyway I hope to work at the depot but according to FGW the manager at Reading needs to send the depot the paperwork.
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
Just a tongue in cheek comment really! I was at Uni in Reading so I used the station a lot and didn't like it much, especially the ticket office and shoppin mall! The Thames Valley commuters always seemed to have the place overrun!

I hope it works out for you.
 

CCF23

Member
Joined
12 Dec 2008
Messages
381
Location
London
Sounds good i inquired with SWT who don't do it anymore, then went and then went and good a fantastic placement with London Underground on the Metropolitan Line doing lots of things include A Stock cab rides :D
 

43021HST

Established Member
Joined
11 Sep 2008
Messages
1,565
Location
Taunton
Just a tongue in cheek comment really! I was at Uni in Reading so I used the station a lot and didn't like it much, especially the ticket office and shoppin mall! The Thames Valley commuters always seemed to have the place overrun!

I hope it works out for you.

I,m used to it and I,m usually one of those Thames Valley Commuters! I wish they would put the old building back into service
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top