• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why are certain tube lines noticeably warmer and vice versa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,543
I'm also convinced that the Victoria line is now the hottest, admittedly, I've not been on the central for months to compare that but have done some high mileage on the baker. Baker Lou in the last 12 months and even on hot days have not found it quite as unbearable on there.
 

Crithylum

Member
Joined
21 May 2024
Messages
356
Location
London Borough of Ealing
Today I did a journey from Blackhorse Road to Earl’s Court. My goodness, the Victoria line platform at Blackhorse Road was hot. However, once on the train, it felt fine. I felt (marginally) less hot on the Victoria than the Piccadilly, despite the temperature being quite a bit higher on the Victoria. I suspect that the window reducing ventilation ducts were giving a more consistent and uniform (covering my whole body) airflow. Maybe it was due to my water running out just before reaching Green Park.

I was sitting in the seat closest to the front of the carriage, with the window fully open on both, so seating position was not a factor.
 

Statto

Established Member
Joined
8 Feb 2011
Messages
4,107
Location
At home or at the pub
I'm also convinced that the Victoria line is now the hottest, admittedly, I've not been on the central for months to compare that but have done some high mileage on the baker. Baker Lou in the last 12 months and even on hot days have not found it quite as unbearable on there.

Agreed, i paid a visit to London a few weeks ago, caught the Victoria Line from Euston to Walthamstow around midnight even at that hour it was so hot & unbearable i was persparating like mad, so glad when i got off at Walthamstow, & this was only a 15, 20 minute journey, feel for the staff who have to work in full uniform on that line all day.
 

Recessio

Established Member
Joined
4 Aug 2019
Messages
1,541
Location
London
Are you sure about the car bit?

There might not be selectable settings for the control of humidity, but it's inherent to the operation of air conditioning.
I was quoting a TfL FOI here, from https://tfl.gov.uk/corporate/transp.../foi-request-detail?referenceId=FOI-1441-2324
1. Do the trains have "air conditioning" (using typical refrigeration and air extraction) and/or "air cooling systems"?

Answer: The system uses vapour-compression refrigeration with temperature control but without the humidity control that is typically provided in buildings. Strictly speaking this is an “air cooling” system, however this type of system is widely referred to as an “air conditioning” system when referring to trains and other mobile applications such as cars.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top