Just a quick question: Who is it who makes the decision as to who the lead operator is for a given flow? I take it that once it has been decided it remains as so until another TOC challenges it (as XC did with various flows) and is not updated automatically.
For example, according to NFM07 Blackpool North to Edinburgh is still priced by Crosscountry, despite the route that most likely gave Crosscountry its position of lead operator having gone to Transpennine Express.
Another example, when I was at Keele I got a train from Stoke on Trent to Tamworth and was surprised to find a London Midland only fare given that London Midland operate virtually all passenger services between these two stations. It turns out that Virgin set the interavailable fare - presumably they used to operate between SOT and Tamworth quite frequently?
Surely wouldn't it make sense to use ORCATS revenue data to decide who has the most commercial interest in a flow and set the lead operator accordingly. I suppose that might mean flows changing hands more often, but that way it would always be with the right company.
And yes, I've just got my new toy, Avantix Traveller and have been looking up fares for longer than is healthy.
For example, according to NFM07 Blackpool North to Edinburgh is still priced by Crosscountry, despite the route that most likely gave Crosscountry its position of lead operator having gone to Transpennine Express.
Another example, when I was at Keele I got a train from Stoke on Trent to Tamworth and was surprised to find a London Midland only fare given that London Midland operate virtually all passenger services between these two stations. It turns out that Virgin set the interavailable fare - presumably they used to operate between SOT and Tamworth quite frequently?
Surely wouldn't it make sense to use ORCATS revenue data to decide who has the most commercial interest in a flow and set the lead operator accordingly. I suppose that might mean flows changing hands more often, but that way it would always be with the right company.
And yes, I've just got my new toy, Avantix Traveller and have been looking up fares for longer than is healthy.