malc-c
Member
- Joined
- 1 Dec 2017
- Messages
- 997
I videoed the Northern Belmond Pullman excursion on the ECML this morning
And this got me wondering just what's involved in organising such a trip. Looking on their website it states that train can seat 252 people, and with an average cost of £300 per head (for example) a full train would gross £75,600. But what are the costs? I assume that Belmond don't have their own loco's as this was hauled by DRS 68's so I guess either Belmond contract them (or the tour operator?). Is there any charge from Network rail (sorry newbie, so don't know who owns the infrastructure ), Fuel, wages for the staff, etc
I presume that given the number of "specials" that now run on the main line (this train ran twice this weekend) this luxury travel is now a booming business?
And this got me wondering just what's involved in organising such a trip. Looking on their website it states that train can seat 252 people, and with an average cost of £300 per head (for example) a full train would gross £75,600. But what are the costs? I assume that Belmond don't have their own loco's as this was hauled by DRS 68's so I guess either Belmond contract them (or the tour operator?). Is there any charge from Network rail (sorry newbie, so don't know who owns the infrastructure ), Fuel, wages for the staff, etc
I presume that given the number of "specials" that now run on the main line (this train ran twice this weekend) this luxury travel is now a booming business?
Last edited by a moderator: