• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What's going with the Starbucks at St. Pancras?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,947
Location
UK
I like the Betjemen Arms, and it was fairly well hidden when it first opened.

I am guessing that it is not such a nice secret find anymore, given the opening of the hotel and the side entrance being clearly marked from street level.

I've been there a few times and only had one bad experience in the restaurant, on a Sunday, when they appeared to be short staffed and the service was poor. I honestly can't say I'd know if I paid differing amounts for the same beer - as I've either had just one (and not noted the price) or had a few and, well, not remembered much at all!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DarkestDreams

Member
Joined
30 Jun 2011
Messages
58
Location
London
Several months ago there were boards around that area with a message saying it was being refurbished. It opened a little later. Yesterday I went there and there are boards around it again with the same message.

At the moment, both Costa and Starbucks are refreshing their UK operations. The Costa in StP was refurbed a few months ago (sadly, it's not a great example of their new global visual language, but never mind) - one would assume that Starbucks is introducing its new look - dark wood, mismatched tables and fake bookcases and the like.
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,947
Location
UK
I am not sure I like the new Starbucks interior, but I think the rather more upright chairs are to stop people lounging around for too long. Drink your coffee and **** off - don't sit down watching a movie on your iPad for 3 hours sipping a £2 latte...

The one in Welwyn Garden City has still kept some comfy chairs, but with really hard armrests and a mix of tables that would be more suited to a greasy spoon.

Whatever you thought about the coffee (and I don't mind it), they were always great places to stop off and do some work in. One coffee for free Wi-Fi and a nice chair (possibly a socket to recharge your laptop too) seemed like a good reason to go. If that ends, I'll stop going full stop.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top