• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What Makes You Proud to be British?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
Well thats your view. To me, they are "heroes", thats not just the generation we have now, but going back in history. For example, the inhumane trenches of WW1, the Dunkirk landings of WW2 and much much more besides.
Yes, they get paid, but not enough and your freedom and liberty and reletive peace you enjoy today has come from soldiers and other armed forces personnel who have lost their lives in passed conflicts and wars to make it so.
Therefore, I see them as "heroes".

There are differences. In WWI and WWII there were very large numbers of conscripts. They were fighting a war which was seen as morally right - this is pretty indisputable in the case of the Nazi's, but more problematic looking at the causes of the Great War.

Today we have professional armed forces, who choose to join and are attracted to the forces for many reasons. it can be an attractive career. My brother served for over 6 years before being medically retired, and served in Bosnia. His military service opened the doors to his current career. He knew the risks and accepted them. he wouldn't say he was a hero, he was just doing his job - but he would agree that the conscripts in the earlier wars were heroes. I haven't asked him, but I;'m sure he'd also agree that the APR wardens, the Home Guard, the coal miners and the munitions workers were also heroes in those earlire conflicts.

To a certain extent, I think the current description of heroes owes something to guilt over support for the operations in Afghanistan and the invasion of Iraq. Many who did support these actions have now changed their opinion. I think it entirely fair and logical that they now seek to ensure that everyone can see they support the men and women on the front lines, whilst not supporting the campaign itself, by calling service people 'heroes'. I understand and respect their sentiments, but I don't personally agree that it's necessary.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TrainBrain185

Member
Joined
2 Jun 2009
Messages
310
Location
County Durham
There are differences. In WWI and WWII there were very large numbers of conscripts. They were fighting a war which was seen as morally right - this is pretty indisputable in the case of the Nazi's, but more problematic looking at the causes of the Great War.

Today we have professional armed forces, who choose to join and are attracted to the forces for many reasons. it can be an attractive career. My brother served for over 6 years before being medically retired, and served in Bosnia. His military service opened the doors to his current career. He knew the risks and accepted them. he wouldn't say he was a hero, he was just doing his job - but he would agree that the conscripts in the earlier wars were heroes. I haven't asked him, but I;'m sure he'd also agree that the APR wardens, the Home Guard, the coal miners and the munitions workers were also heroes in those earlire conflicts.

To a certain extent, I think the current description of heroes owes something to guilt over support for the operations in Afghanistan and the invasion of Iraq. Many who did support these actions have now changed their opinion. I think it entirely fair and logical that they now seek to ensure that everyone can see they support the men and women on the front lines, whilst not supporting the campaign itself, by calling service people 'heroes'. I understand and respect their sentiments, but I don't personally agree that it's necessary.
Yes, very sound points indeed. As you say, many who serve in the forces would'nt say they would like to be seen as heroes and just seen as doing their job, but I have the highest of respect what these guys and girls do that many others would shy away from and I get a bit aggrivated when folk make comments about the difficult jobs they do.
Well done regards your brother, I have a daughter who served in Kosovo whilst serving in the RAF.
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
I have the highest respect for the individuals who have chosen to serve their country in this way. And for their families. I have seen at first hand the devastation that losing a loved one brings to their relatives.

I also think that families should be left in peace to grieve. It is a diffcult enough time for them without constant TV and press intrusion.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top