• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What is this line in Manchester used for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
23 Apr 2012
Messages
398
Location
Greater manchester.
Going back very many years, I am sure there was a Summer Saturdays train from Nottingh
Going back very many years, I am sure there was a Summer Saturdays train from Nottingham to Blackpool that used this particular line. Correct me if I am wrong.
There were
am to Blackpool that used this particular line. Correct me if I

Going back very many years, I am sure there was a Summer Saturdays train from Nottingham to Blackpool that used this particular line. Correct me if I am wrong.
I have a winter timetable from 86/87, That says 2 departures per day mon-Fri Blackpool to Harwich and Blackpool to Nottingham. The same for Saturdays.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Joined
31 Dec 2017
Messages
69
Pretty sure I was on a Christmas Markets steam special from Liverpool via Victoria and Sheffield to York which took this route a few years ago, Certainly remember going past the Etihad.
 

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,172
Location
Wilmslow
I have a winter timetable from 86/87, That says 2 departures per day mon-Fri Blackpool to Harwich and Blackpool to Nottingham. The same for Saturdays.
In 1986-87
1E86 07:20 Blackpool North - Harwich PQ
1M20 13:20 Harwich PQ - Blackpool North
both used Ashton Moss S-N curve rather than Philips Park in that timetable
because this enabled the services to call at Stockport and use the recently-opened Hazel Grove Chord.

A couple of years earlier, 1983-84,
1S85 07:17 Harwich-Glasgow
1S49 07:29 Nottingham-Glasgow
1M12 16:40 Nottingham-Barrow
1E87 11:20 Glasgow-Harwich
1M70 10:16 Barrow-Nottingham
1M87 15:20 Glasgow-Nottingham
used the line we're talking about here, Ashburys to Philips Park

PSUL (https://www.branchline.uk/PSULdocs.php) will have more information on specific years

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

In 1986-87, though,
1M87 15:20 Glasgow-Nottingham did use the Philips Park - Ashburys line. As did
1S49 07:15 Nottingham-Glasgow.

My best time using the line was a class 40 advertised excursion Stockport-York which went round the back curve at Miles Platting also and via Rochdale to York. We may have returned via Stalybridge, I can't recall.
EDIT Scrub that thought, because it wouldn't have been possible, we will have used the Ashton Moss curve as above to get to Miles Platting. So I probably only used the line once on something like 1S85 or 1S49 as above.
 
Last edited:
Joined
23 Apr 2012
Messages
398
Location
Greater manchester.
In 1986-87
1E86 07:20 Blackpool North - Harwich PQ
1M20 13:20 Harwich PQ - Blackpool North
both used Ashton Moss S-N curve rather than Philips Park in that timetable
because this enabled the services to call at Stockport and use the recently-opened Hazel Grove Chord.

A couple of years earlier, 1983-84,
1S85 07:17 Harwich-Glasgow
1S49 07:29 Nottingham-Glasgow
1M12 16:40 Nottingham-Barrow
1E87 11:20 Glasgow-Harwich
1M70 10:16 Barrow-Nottingham
1M87 15:20 Glasgow-Nottingham
used the line we're talking about here, Ashburys to Philips Park

PSUL (https://www.branchline.uk/PSULdocs.php) will have more information on specific years

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

In 1986-87, though,
1M87 15:20 Glasgow-Nottingham did use the Philips Park - Ashburys line. As did
1S49 07:15 Nottingham-Glasgow.

My best time using the line was a class 40 advertised excursion Stockport-York which went round the back curve at Miles Platting also and via Rochdale to York. We may have returned via Stalybridge, I can't recall.
EDIT Scrub that thought, because it wouldn't have been possible, we will have used the Ashton Moss curve as above to get to Miles Platting. So I probably only used the line once on something like 1S85 or 1S49 as above.
Thank you, I'm glad to be Corrected - I have travelled on both lines and I got mixed up.
 

tumbledown

Member
Joined
5 Nov 2024
Messages
287
Location
UK
There was indeed a Parliamentary service for a while over the line - one a week, Victoria to Ashburys only.
On the last occasion I used it, we were routed onto the non-platform line at Ashburys. The crew had to help me climb down (with bike!) and cross to the platform. I was the only passenger.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

...From my old PSULs it was 2010 SO when it last ran, and ceased 24th January 1994.
 
Last edited:

Leyland Bus

Established Member
Joined
20 May 2021
Messages
1,228
Location
York
Justifying building a station for normal 363 days a year a traffic is difficult enough. Justifying it on the basis of bringing in a couple of thousand (max) away fans each week is an absolute non starter. There's generally already a perfect mass transport solution for away fans, it's called the coach or minibus.

Cheers,
Slip
TfGM have recently started putting on several "football special" bus routes for City games so that probably is the answer for the most part.
 
Joined
23 Apr 2012
Messages
398
Location
Greater manchester.
There was indeed a Parliamentary service for a while over the line - one a week, Victoria to Ashburys only.
On the last occasion I used it, we were routed onto the non-platform line at Ashburys. The crew had to help me climb down (with bike!) and cross to the platform. I was the only passenger.

There was indeed a Parliamentary service for a while over the line - one a week, Victoria to Ashburys only.
On the last occasion I used it, we were routed onto the non-platform line at Ashburys. The crew had to help me climb down (with bike!) and cross to the platform. I was the only passenger.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

...From my old PSULs it was 2010 SO when it last ran, and ceased 24th January 1994.
I have the rail magazine that mentions that service from around 92/3. Sadly I never knew about it at the time. My mate was a signalman at Philips park no2 box on the line[It was next to the fire station], He used to let me pull levers for the ECS trains that passed through-Happy days.
 

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,172
Location
Wilmslow
There was indeed a Parliamentary service for a while over the line - one a week, Victoria to Ashburys only.
On the last occasion I used it, we were routed onto the non-platform line at Ashburys. The crew had to help me climb down (with bike!) and cross to the platform. I was the only passenger.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

...From my old PSULs it was 2010 SO when it last ran, and ceased 24th January 1994.
Oh yes, 2H60, which continued as 5J60 to Newton Heath by reversing at Guide Bridge and going back through Ashburys and Philips Park, then round the curve at Miles Platting.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top