Intercity110
On Moderation
On this forum I see constant references to the ‘rule book’. What is it and how could I get one, and is that even possible?
On this forum I see constant references to the ‘rule book’. What is it and how could I get one, and is that even possible?
On this forum I see constant references to the ‘rule book’. What is it and how could I get one, and is that even possible?

Still get good old fashioned paper modules in a ring binder type folder issued at Transport for Wales (for now).An example of one particular module (there are obviously many others) when the ‘Rule Book‘ was issued as a hard copy (can you still get issued hard copies?)
Now all modules and handbooks are available online (and app) via the RSSB. I don’t think anybody can just register, you would need a railway industry email.
View attachment 137691 View attachment 137692
The modern one requires a login to the RSSB which I'm fairly sure has to come from a relevant company email (or with some other proof of need for it). Old ones pop up on Ebay every now and again though, but be aware a 1960s one (or even a 1980s one) is a very different document from what is contained in the rulebook today.What is it and how could I get one, and is that even possible?
You can buy modules here. https://www.willsonshop.com/shop/rule-booksYou used to be able to download the PDFs freely until a couple of years ago. Possibly google will still find relatively recent ones if you look for them.
![]()
The Rule Book
The Rule Book is a series of documents that contain direct instructions for railway staff. They are termed as National Operations Publications within the Group Standards Code.www.rssb.co.uk
It is a collection of documents which details how operations should be carried out in a safe and standardised way.
An example of one particular module (there are obviously many others) when the ‘Rule Book‘ was issued as a hard copy (can you still get issued hard copies?)
Now all modules and handbooks are available online (and app) via the RSSB. I don’t think anybody can just register, you would need a railway industry email.
View attachment 137691 View attachment 137692
Thanks everyone, just made an account and I am astonished by the amount of detail.Anybody can sign up for an RSSB account and download the various modules for free. Just head to the Standards area and search 'Rule Book'.
On this forum I see constant references to the ‘rule book’. What is it and how could I get one, and is that even possible?
because it intrigues me.Why would you need one if you don't work on the railway?
Why would you need one if you don't work on the railway?
yes, and that tooBedtime reading![]()
- General interest
- Booked onto trainee driver course and want to get a headstart
- Witnessed an incident and interested to know how it was dealt with
- Plays Train Sim and wants to do it as realistically as possible
- Bedtime reading
The Rule Book appears to be much more fascinating to those outside the industry than to those who have to adhere to it every day at work. It's really not that interesting.
Quite! I've been a 'railway enthusiast' since I was 16months old and met up with a steam loco on an unknown S Wales branch line while we were visiting an aunt in 1947! As I grew up and started loco-spotting and developing a library of railway books, on occasions I've purchased old rule books. When I started my involvement with the preservation of the St Albans South box I collected a few more to better understand how signalling fitted in. That included buying copies of the 2003 edition modules on sale from a preserved railway - they all assist me and others to explain to our visitors how the 'Rules' have changed over time commonly as the result of accidents.The Rule Book appears to be much more fascinating to those outside the industry than to those who have to adhere to it every day at work. It's really not that interesting.