• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What is so attractive about the back seat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fowler9

Established Member
Joined
29 Oct 2013
Messages
8,380
Location
Liverpool
It is not just on school buses where the back seat is somewhat attractive, look at any city bus and see who's sat on the (top deck) back seat. When I was in the final year of college I used to sit there with my friends, but I'd probably avoid it now on a public bus if travelling alone.

Nah, I still sit there and make an effort to make the cool kids look sad. I just pretend to be their dad.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Martin1988

Member
Joined
17 Jul 2012
Messages
1,014
Location
Bristol
I have noticed that the back seat seems to be a popular choice of seat. In particular on longer bus and coach services.

On a large number of the cross country National Express journeys I've done I've found that upon boarding, the seats at the back of the coach have already been occupied by passengers who boarded the route at a previous stops.

I was rather unimpressed with the 'back seat passengers' on the Megabus journey I undertook on the weekend I moved up to uni. I was traveling from Bristol to Leeds on the service which starts at Cardiff and goes all the way to Newcastle. A youngish couple who had boarded the coach at Cardiff(and were going the whole way to Newcastle) occupied all 5 back seats and placed their belongings on two of the seats in front. Although the coach wasn't full, I did feel this was rather unfair that they got away with having that many seats to themselves when other passengers would no doubt have been expected to clear the seat next to us if someone wanted to sit there. Does anyone else think that they were unfair to do this?

On most of the Megabus trips I've been on I've been required to sit next to another passenger. Especially on the trips where I've sat on the back seat I've been required to share it with at least one other person.


I've also been on several bus and coach journeys where I've sat on the back seat and another passenger has boarded and also chosen to sat there, despite the fact there are plenty of vacant seats. This actually happened to me last week. The service had a double decker bus, I boarded first and chose the seat on the top deck at the back and the only other passenger who boarded followed me there. Has anyone else experienced this sort of passenger behaviour ?
 

fowler9

Established Member
Joined
29 Oct 2013
Messages
8,380
Location
Liverpool
Oddly enough sitting at the back of a long distance bus in South America is less popular, possibly because the toilet is there and on a 24 hour or longer journey in a hot country it really starts to stink. I always tried to sit at the front, mainly for the view but also to avoid the smell. Ha ha. The problem with sitting at the front is if the scheduled double decker is replaced with a single decker you end up with no leg room and a view of a wall and a locked door leading to the drivers compartment.
 

Martin1988

Member
Joined
17 Jul 2012
Messages
1,014
Location
Bristol
Long distance coaches here in the UK are similar. If the toilet is located there it can get rather smelly. It can also be a bit more confining there and rather uncomfortable on a hot day.
 

fowler9

Established Member
Joined
29 Oct 2013
Messages
8,380
Location
Liverpool
Long distance coaches here in the UK are similar. If the toilet is located there it can get rather smelly. It can also be a bit more confining there and rather uncomfortable on a hot day.

Even more oddly enough the long distance buses in South America are much nicer than the ones provided by Megabus or National Express
 
Joined
10 Mar 2013
Messages
1,010
speaking of toilet locations and choice of seating on a Uk / european coach with a 'mid mounted' toilet module the seat immediately ahaed is usually a poor choice ( limited recline - even if it does have extra legroom ) and the seat immediately after the steps down to the loo/ emergency door depend on their location in relation to half bulkhead ...
 

34D

Established Member
Joined
9 Feb 2011
Messages
6,048
Location
Yorkshire
I remember once picking up a girlfriend (term used loosely) in a B10m coach, then parking up and closing the curtains at the back.
 

ECML180

Member
Joined
28 Oct 2013
Messages
518
Location
Doncaster
I remember once picking up a girlfriend (term used loosely) in a B10m coach, then parking up and closing the curtains at the back.

Sounds like a decent ride to me...oh and the girlfriend too :lol:
 
Last edited:

Zamracene749

Member
Joined
11 Dec 2005
Messages
919
Location
East Durham
As a kid in the early 80s, doing 12 to 16 hour explorer ticket bashes on mostly NBC vehicles, the attraction was simple-heat!

Anybody that regularly used Bristol VRs, early Leyland Olympians and Nationals knew to sit near the back by the the engine and well away from the front doors if you wanted to stay thawed out for the 8 cooler months of the year.
ECW Olympians in particular often used to have lovely blast of warm (if sometimes somewhat sooty) blast of air coming out of the gap between the nearside rear armrest and back seat cushion. Very cosy on a winters day :)

On many VRs the only source of downstairs heating was through a grille at foot level below the back seat- toasty toes guaranteed but sometimes spoilt by the draughts from the emergency exit.

If you got an RE or an LH and the month had more than 4 letters in it you had no hope- even for a youngster they were freezing cold in winter- it must have been horrendous for the elderly etc!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top