• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Westbury Coal Workings

Status
Not open for further replies.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2005
Messages
3,087
Location
Trowbridge
Hi all,

I am asking about the general coal workings in Westbury, apart from the Westbury Cement workings which I know about. Ive noticed /other workings though that don't make sense, such as Tower Colliery - Westbury Up Yard or from Cwm whatever its called to the upyard, loaded coal. But thats it, what the hell does it do then?? Theres no sort of coal plant at Westbury that I know of, just thought it was a yard and a Virtual Quarry..?


Cheers,
James.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dennis

Established Member
Joined
8 Aug 2005
Messages
2,676
Location
Trowbridge
It's very rare to see a coal train in Westbury yard - only ever seen it a couple of times, I guess the daily train to the cement works might get put in the yard if access to the works is not possible for some reason.

Can anyone confirm where the Westbury cement works coal train comes from? I think they took imported coal from Portbury for a while but South Wales is now the origin.
 

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2005
Messages
3,087
Location
Trowbridge
i've not seen a coal train in the yard myself, but i've seen diagrams from the yard to llanwern etc and that is along with the cement workings.
so surely they don't need that much coal.
 

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2005
Messages
3,087
Location
Trowbridge
Right can end this thread now,

I got muddled up with thier TT. I've discovered the Tower - Westbury are meant to be EWS construction which would suggest its the Hanson stone set, as Tower Colliery is a coal and stone terminal.

Thats cleared that up,

Thanks for the replies,
James.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top