• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wensleydale Railway extensions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Joined
23 Feb 2010
Messages
6,906
Location
Richmond, London
G'day,

Just curious to know whether there are any plans to extend the railway to Hawes and ultimately Garsdale? To my knowledge the track bed between Hawes and Garsdale is intact and Hawes is very popular with tourists. Any information on this would be very much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Richmond Commuter!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John Webb

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2010
Messages
3,780
Location
St Albans
G'day,

Just curious to know whether there are any plans to extend the railway to Hawes and ultimately Garsdale? To my knowledge the track bed between Hawes and Garsdale is intact and Hawes is very popular with tourists. Any information on this would be very much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Richmond Commuter!

Indeed there are - but their first priority is to get a link back to Northallerton that can be used by their trains. This gives them a connection for passengers to the main railway system. (Currently only freight moves can be made from Northallerton.)

Have a look at their website http://www.wensleydalerailway.com for more detailed information.
 

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Joined
31 Jul 2010
Messages
4,001
G'day,

Just curious to know whether there are any plans to extend the railway to Hawes and ultimately Garsdale? To my knowledge the track bed between Hawes and Garsdale is intact and Hawes is very popular with tourists. Any information on this would be very much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Richmond Commuter!

As mentioned here, they are planning to extend to Hawes and Garsdale after getting to Northallerton first.

I travelled on the Wensleydale line a couple of years ago, there was a vintage bus service that picked up passengers at the present end of the line at Redmire, it goes to Hawes and sometimes to Garsdale too. I got off at Hawes which is a delightful little town, it's station is is still there and well preserved with an old, static steam loco. I then went back to Redmire and had a lovely lunch in the pub there before returning on the steam train towards Northallerton. It was a great day out. There are the occasional through workings to that line, but they have to do some shunting to the north of Northallerton. I Think RTC may be doing one next month to the Wensleydale and maybe the Weardale Railway too.
 

harri2626

Member
Joined
22 Aug 2012
Messages
43
I'm going to ride the line on Friday (5th October). Anyone know what might be in service on that day? Will it be a dmu or loco hauled?
 

harri2626

Member
Joined
22 Aug 2012
Messages
43
In case anyone's interested, I rang them up to check and was told it would be a DMU. However, when I got there it was a three coach steam!
 

lancastrian

Member
Joined
2 Jan 2010
Messages
537
Location
Bolton, Lancashire
G'day,

Just curious to know whether there are any plans to extend the railway to Hawes and ultimately Garsdale? To my knowledge the track bed between Hawes and Garsdale is intact and Hawes is very popular with tourists. Any information on this would be very much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Richmond Commuter!

Their intention is to reopen all the way from Northallerton through to Garsdale. I have traveled on the line from Leeming Bar to Redmire a few times now and really enjoy the ride and I have been pleased to see the improvements each time I have visited. I would really enjoy traveling the whole route someday, but as I am almost 60, then I wonder if they will get to Garsdale in time. I expect them to be through to Northallerton within the next five years.
 

harri2626

Member
Joined
22 Aug 2012
Messages
43
The plan to reopen the south curve back into Northallerton station is estimated to cost £6m, which makes it a long-term aspiration. However, the railway intends to open a "halt" at Springwell Lane on the north loop (used by freight and charters), expected to cost £250k and funds are being sought by share issue. It is hoped to finish it by June 2013 to coincide with their 10th anniversary, but will only be used by occasional special trains.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top