• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WCML Passenger Services after HS2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halwynd

Member
Joined
11 Sep 2021
Messages
568
Location
North West
Reading the thread about the future of HS2, I was wondering what passenger services are planned to run on the WCML after HS2 opens (to either Birmingham or Crewe) especially for those travelling from/to north of Crewe. Is a direct service still planned to run from say Preston, Wigan and Warrington to Euston via Rugby?

Apologies if this is a daft question to those more knowledgeable; I haven't really been following HS2 developments in any great depth.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Some guy

Member
Joined
6 Feb 2022
Messages
508
Location
Preston
Reading the thread about the future of HS2, I was wondering what passenger services are planned to run on the WCML after HS2 opens (to either Birmingham or Crewe) especially for those travelling from/to north of Crewe. Is a direct service still planned to run from say Preston, Wigan and Warrington to Euston via Rugby?

Apologies if this is a daft question to those more knowledgeable; I haven't really been following HS2 developments in any great depth.
There still will be last time I heard it was going to be 2 trains from Preston via hs2 and a service which will go the mainline route
 

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Joined
22 Feb 2011
Messages
21,944
Location
Mold, Clwyd
I think the answer is: nobody knows.
The classic railway and HS2 are still being managed in their separate silos, and there is no clarity at all about how services will complement each other.
The WCML operator (currently Avanti) is also supposed to operate early HS2 services, and to be part of the team which is planning them.
But it may be several years before real proposals are made public.

The axing of the Golborne link from the HS2 plan means that HS2 services will be more limited north of Crewe than indicated in earlier plans.
HS2 trains can be 200m or 400m.
The 400m trains will only be able to call at Crewe, Preston and Carlisle where platforms are due to be lengthened, and where trains can be split/combined.
But this is something else which is now subject to review.

Avanti's and TPE's travails in delivering any kind of normal service at the moment, is another huge concern playing into the long-term situation.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,783
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
There is no certainty, but the proposals I have seen are all themed roughly thus:

1tph Euston-Chester/N Wales
1tph Euston-Manchester via Stockport
2tph Euston-Birmingham, with one of the two continuing to Scotland

All would call at MKC, 2 at Rugby and 2 at Watford. Nothing via the Trent Valley to the north WCML.

There would also be a considerable increase in south WCML local services, but I've seen lots of versions of this, including some downright silly ones making MKC look like the Northern Line.
 

Halwynd

Member
Joined
11 Sep 2021
Messages
568
Location
North West
OK, thanks for those replies. I wasn't sure if anything had yet been decided, but from my own point of view I'd really regret losing the opportunity of travelling from the north west on a direct WCML service.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top