• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin Shop Offer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,471
So the real reason for this offer is that they can no longer sell them because the onboard system no longer works. :lol:

Does anyone know from when? I never really used it apart from when the pendos/voyagers first came into service
 

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,856
Does anyone know from when?

If you mean the onboard entertainment system, it was turned off about 18 months ago, right before they started installing Wi-Fi onboard the Pendolinos, I don't know whether the two would have interfered with each other in some way, but I don't think it was ever well used anyway.
 

scotsman

Established Member
Joined
6 Jul 2010
Messages
3,252
So the real reason for this offer is that they can no longer sell them because the onboard system no longer works. :lol:

Does anyone know from when? I never really used it apart from when the pendos/voyagers first came into service

I think it was sometime in 2009 some time - it was too much to pay for licenses for them!
 

Lampshade

Established Member
Joined
3 Sep 2009
Messages
3,778
Location
South London
Ooo, nice one! I need some new headphones, I keep losing the rubber caps :oops:
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Pumbaa

Established Member
Joined
19 Feb 2008
Messages
5,022
I think it was sometime in 2009 some time - it was too much to pay for licenses for them!

Incorrect - it was abandoned in favour of WiFi. The control systems needed some channels clearing, and it was decided that the ents system was binned to make way for it.
 

scotsman

Established Member
Joined
6 Jul 2010
Messages
3,252
Incorrect - it was abandoned in favour of WiFi. The control systems needed some channels clearing, and it was decided that the ents system was binned to make way for it.

Oh, I was told by VT staff that it was because of the licenses....
 

Lampshade

Established Member
Joined
3 Sep 2009
Messages
3,778
Location
South London
That could be a factor, ATW, GC and HT don't have it working on the 175s and 180s do they? :?
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Lampshade

Established Member
Joined
3 Sep 2009
Messages
3,778
Location
South London
Ooo, nice one! I need some new headphones, I keep losing the rubber caps :oops:
 
Last edited by a moderator:

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,856
I remember whoever held the old GW franchise before the current FGW; their Adelantes had Coach E as an Entertainment Coach. I never used it properly, but I remember just randomly hitting buttons entertained me from Castle Cary-Taunton! This may be around 2004/05 I am thinking of. It definitely doesn't work on the current Northern or GCWR 180s though. Shame, it was a good idea!
 

Pumbaa

Established Member
Joined
19 Feb 2008
Messages
5,022
175s and 180s also had it fitted to at least one car (C 175s, E 180s) but the cost outweighed any possible benefit.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
In the end 180s used a variety of pre-recorded material for playback.
 

WillPS

Established Member
Joined
18 Nov 2008
Messages
2,431
Location
Nottingham
To be honest, people who want to listen to music will have an iPod with them, people who arent bothered wont bother...
 

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
13,774
Location
Yorkshire
To be honest, people who want to listen to music will have an iPod with them, people who arent bothered wont bother...

What is annoying is just how bad radio reception is on modern trains - I did like being able to plug into radio 4 on Virgin as if I used my portable radio I'd not hear 10% of the programme.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top