• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin Blockage buster - £18 Day return?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nedchester

Established Member
Joined
28 May 2008
Messages
2,093
There's a £18 Super Off Peak Day Return from Birmingham to London (route High Wycombe). I reckon that would be valid on Virgin's Birmingham to Euston services diverted via the Chilterns?

Discuss!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ascot

Established Member
Joined
26 Nov 2005
Messages
3,384
Location
Birmingham, UK
There's a £18 Super Off Peak Day Return from Birmingham to London (route High Wycombe). I reckon that would be valid on Virgin's Birmingham to Euston services diverted via the Chilterns?

Discuss!

It does, takes forever and a day to do though.
 

paul1609

Established Member
Joined
28 Jan 2006
Messages
7,992
Location
K
Yeah, but be careful of the restrictions which may be more onerous than you imagine:Walk-up fare (return within 30 days of purchase date) valid at quieter times of day: arrive in London after 13.45hrs on any day, leave london between 11.00hrs-15.30hrs or from 20.00hrs (Monday-Friday), after 1100hrs (Saturday-Sunday).
 

Coradia

Member
Joined
9 Aug 2008
Messages
97
Location
Manchester
I noticed the Super off Peak ticket is also valid for the London Midland 350 Liverpool-Euston, yet the ticket states the operator is for Chiltern.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,435
Location
Yorkshire
I noticed the Super off Peak ticket is also valid for the London Midland 350 Liverpool-Euston, yet the ticket states the operator is for Chiltern.
???

The Super Off Peak from Birmingham to London is routed High Wycombe. It's not valid on a London Midland 350 because none of them go via High Wycombe. It's not a TOC-specific ticket.
 

Coradia

Member
Joined
9 Aug 2008
Messages
97
Location
Manchester
This is what I thought considering the fact that the booking system (trainline) stated it was a Chiltern ticket, but the link posted by Paul makes sense of it, that is becoming a standard, and the booking systems need updating. Just to be more precise about the route, you can buy a Super Off Peak ticket for any section of that route, not from Brum to London making use of it (e.g. Crewe-Euston would be valid).
 

nedchester

Established Member
Joined
28 May 2008
Messages
2,093
Yeah, but be careful of the restrictions which may be more onerous than you imagine:Walk-up fare (return within 30 days of purchase date) valid at quieter times of day: arrive in London after 13.45hrs on any day, leave london between 11.00hrs-15.30hrs or from 20.00hrs (Monday-Friday), after 1100hrs (Saturday-Sunday).

Be all right for those living in London and perhaps wanting to do the 57 to Birmingham on Sunday.....................

Incidentally I am using this ticket next Tuesday on WSMR Tame Bridge Parkway to London 1243 off Tame then 2003 off Marylebone. Bargain!
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,835
Location
Nowhere Heath
So is this ticket actually valid on the VWC Blockade Runners? Route High Wycombe, yes they are indeed but the cheapest I could find that was quoted to be valid on the 221s was a Saver Single/Return...<(
 

nedchester

Established Member
Joined
28 May 2008
Messages
2,093
So is this ticket actually valid on the VWC Blockade Runners? Route High Wycombe, yes they are indeed but the cheapest I could find that was quoted to be valid on the 221s was a Saver Single/Return...<(

I suspect you would be 'quoted' the Saver but the conditions of the ticket point to it being valid (I'm not saying that you might have a little bit of a riot with a Virgin Gripper about it though!)
 

37412

Established Member
Joined
5 Dec 2007
Messages
1,253
Be all right for those living in London and perhaps wanting to do the 57 to Birmingham on Sunday.....................

Or on Tuesday the 26th......or maybe even the next Sunday it runs!

Wonder if they will get one of the now 'rare' non Dellner fitted machines out which normally sit on the log trains, could be a scratch for some people!
 

peteste

New Member
Joined
26 Aug 2008
Messages
2
A related question (and I apologise if I should have started a new thread) but I've just picked up a Chiltern ticket - Marylebone to Brum - because I couldn't get a cheap one via Virgin (hmmm, what happened to their really cheap fares I wonder...).

I've managed to get hold of a £20 return, but I'm sure I recollect that in the fairly recent past you could get a return for £10 on Chiltern - what happened to that fare? Were they leaned on by Virgin? If I'm not in a hurry (i.e. not travelling for work) I never get Virgin from Euston any more - just not worth paying double (or more) fare for a journey that's only 30 minutes shorter...
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,435
Location
Yorkshire
The cheapest fare was Just15, this was £9.95 with a railcard, so that may be what you recall? This fare is now Super Off Peak (customers can't understand Just15 apparently, it's too complicated) and is about £18 (the fare being discussed here), the return portion is valid for 1 month. Both portions are heavily restricted but there are posters up at Marylebone saying that these tickets are valid at "any time" on weekends.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top