• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Use of horns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krokodil

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2023
Messages
6,595
Location
Wales
More likely for setting back/propelling moves. It was also commonplace for locos to 'run round' without the driver changing ends but of course that practice is frowned upon today and rightly so given the number of collisions that happened 'back in the day' caused by drivers not being in the leading cab.
True. Back in the day DMUs used to come off of Bath Road shed and be propelled back into the platform with the guard in the now-leading cab
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

william.martin

On Moderation
Joined
18 Oct 2022
Messages
857
Location
Telford
We have over excitable guards at the back that like to do that.
I've had that in the midlands, the guard did a treble tone on the horrifically loud class 350.

Does anybody know if the horn rules have changed going through Barmouth? 6 years ago when I was there every weekend, they would sound the horn at every bridge turn and crossing going straight through the town. When I go there now, they hardly sound the horn, sometimes not even at the W signs. (This is all during daytime hours)
 

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Joined
23 Mar 2013
Messages
6,489
Location
Powys
I don't for most stations but I always do it at Smethwick Galton Bridge on the down - it's a very busy and narrow platform, on a curve with the view obstructed by a bridge at the start of the platform. I feel better giving a bit of a warning just in case.

I've done it with my manager sitting beside me! He did point out it's been out of the rule book for a long time, but I prefer to do it as part of the processes I follow in that scenario. I also found it very helpful as a guard when the driver did it, so I could work out why the train stopped and then proceeded without bothering the driver at a difficult time - and it was also reassuring if I could see we were going past a red to know it was ok!

Besides, if you're getting talked past a red, there's a pretty good chance there's some S&T staff somewhere nearby....

On an AB line, where the Red is only just in sight, I used to like the "toot" to know that the driver had set off after our conversation.
 

Merle Haggard

Established Member
Joined
20 Oct 2019
Messages
3,969
Location
Northampton
More likely for setting back/propelling moves. It was also commonplace for locos to 'run round' without the driver changing ends but of course that practice is frowned upon today and rightly so given the number of collisions that happened 'back in the day' caused by drivers not being in the leading cab.

After a number of mishaps the L.M.R. about 1970 made it a disciplinary offence to drive from the rear cab. One of my colleagues wrote out a few No2/No 1 forms for the (at the first stage, alleged) offence, not just if they resulted in mishaps but if observed. Applied to locos as well as m.u..
It seems to have lapsed but shunting incidents resulting in collision damage resulting from driving from the rear cab still occur - I've heard that there was one at King's Heath fairly recently.
 

dk1

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Oct 2009
Messages
19,874
Location
East Anglia
After a number of mishaps the L.M.R. about 1970 made it a disciplinary offence to drive from the rear cab. One of my colleagues wrote out a few No2/No 1 forms for the (at the first stage, alleged) offence, not just if they resulted in mishaps but if observed. Applied to locos as well as m.u..
It seems to have lapsed but shunting incidents resulting in collision damage resulting from driving from the rear cab still occur - I've heard that there was one at King's Heath fairly recently.

Although always told to drive from the leading cab whenever possible it wasn’t until OTMR was fitted that it became the norm.
 

12LDA28C

Established Member
Joined
14 Oct 2022
Messages
5,058
After a number of mishaps the L.M.R. about 1970 made it a disciplinary offence to drive from the rear cab. One of my colleagues wrote out a few No2/No 1 forms for the (at the first stage, alleged) offence, not just if they resulted in mishaps but if observed. Applied to locos as well as m.u..
It seems to have lapsed but shunting incidents resulting in collision damage resulting from driving from the rear cab still occur - I've heard that there was one at King's Heath fairly recently.

Not changing ends whilst running round / shunting was still common after that, indeed 47461 was written off at Liverpool Lime Street circa 1990 in exactly such an incident and there are other examples.
 

DJ_K666

Member
Joined
5 May 2009
Messages
918
Location
Way too far north of 75A
I've actually noticed modellers using DCC Sound to use the horns much more than the 12"/ft scale ones do. Although loco drivers do seem to use them more as they're more used to having workers around them.
 

Babybirdrobin

Member
Joined
3 Mar 2022
Messages
221
Location
The Crouch Valley
Never blow for the horn for anyone doing the idiotic horn hand gesture. Maybe they’ll stop it at some point.
Irrelevant by now but I wave (as a spotter) but that on my case it’s more as respect and acknowledgement to the staff than wishing for the horn to be blown although I certainly used to use the annoying horn gesture until I realised a few years ago that is stupid + pointless
 

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
Joined
21 Oct 2009
Messages
3,905
It seems pretty obvious why it was there in the first place - so that any P-way staff working on the line, aware that the protecting signal is maintained at danger are warned of an approaching train. The removal of that rule seems to make the railway less safe, IMO.
There shouldn't be any p-way on the track with a train authorised to pass a signal at danger
 

12LDA28C

Established Member
Joined
14 Oct 2022
Messages
5,058
There shouldn't be any p-way on the track with a train authorised to pass a signal at danger

They don’t need to be ‘on the track’. P-way could quite legitimately be attempting or about to attempt to fix a track circuit failure which is preventing the signal from being cleared. They may well be ‘near the line’ and be appreciative of the warning provided by a driver sounding the horn when passing the signal.
 

JAWZ

Member
Joined
29 May 2023
Messages
63
Location
Bath
Props to the driver of 70 007 on today's 4O57 as he gave me a toot when passing while I taking photos at Corston rugby ground :D
 

43066

Veteran Member
Joined
24 Nov 2019
Messages
12,089
Location
London
Props to the driver of 70 007 on today's 4O57 as he gave me a toot when passing while I taking photos at Corston rugby ground :D

Maybe it was @dk1 .

I’ve been doing this for years and am still yet to get a mention on here :).

EDIT: just re read this. It wouldn’t have been @dk1 unless he’s migrated to the dark side.
 
Last edited:

dk1

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Oct 2009
Messages
19,874
Location
East Anglia
I thought you senior top table ex BR men did a bit of everything. :D

Haha that would be nice wouldn’t it? Apart from the depot drivers my depot is the biggest on GA yet we only sign one traction now. Different world to what it was a few years ago when we signed up to thirteen.
 

43066

Veteran Member
Joined
24 Nov 2019
Messages
12,089
Location
London
Haha that would be nice wouldn’t it? Apart from the depot drivers my depot is the biggest on GA yet we only sign one traction now. Different world to what it was a few years ago when we signed up to thirteen.

Must admit I’m lucky to always have signed more than one traction type, which I prefer for the variety. Never as many as thirteen, though! Three max at any one time in my case.

That said, these days I’m never happy when I’m asked to drive a class 360. :(
 

Lurcheroo

Established Member
Joined
21 Sep 2021
Messages
1,241
Location
Wales
Haha that would be nice wouldn’t it? Apart from the depot drivers my depot is the biggest on GA yet we only sign one traction now. Different world to what it was a few years ago when we signed up to thirteen.
THIRTEEN!! mad!
We’re a 1 traction depot also, and just 2 routes + a maintenance depot (no depot specific drivers). I often think it would be nice to have a little more variety in both traction and routes but it’s a lovely depot to work at so can’t complain too much.
 

dk1

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Oct 2009
Messages
19,874
Location
East Anglia
THIRTEEN!! mad!
We’re a 1 traction depot also, and just 2 routes + a maintenance depot (no depot specific drivers). I often think it would be nice to have a little more variety in both traction and routes but it’s a lovely depot to work at so can’t complain too much.

I’m glad I did most of them but wouldn’t change now. The new order works in just about every respect. That’s what you need in your day job.
 

InkyScrolls

On Moderation
Joined
20 Jul 2022
Messages
1,460
Location
North of England
THIRTEEN!! mad!
We’re a 1 traction depot also, and just 2 routes + a maintenance depot (no depot specific drivers). I often think it would be nice to have a little more variety in both traction and routes but it’s a lovely depot to work at so can’t complain too much.
Leeds Northern crews used to sign, for a brief period in 2020, 14! (142, 144, 150/1, 150/2, 153, 155, 156, 158, 170, 195, 321, 322, 331, 333)
 

Krokodil

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2023
Messages
6,595
Location
Wales
Leeds Northern crews used to sign, for a brief period in 2020, 14! (142, 144, 150/1, 150/2, 153, 155, 156, 158, 170, 195, 321, 322, 331, 333)
Though some of those only differ in very small ways from each other. Which reminds me that once you signed one class of blue square DMMU, you signed the lot.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top