• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Unusual Stabling Locations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crossover

Established Member
Joined
4 Jun 2009
Messages
9,493
Location
Yorkshire
Kept the topic broad so people can add their own sightings etc without being too off topic.

Just something me and a friend saw on Saturday evening at Stafford station. We arrived around 22:30 on Platform 4 and noticed a Pendolino in the next platform. Looking at the departure boards on the bridge, everything for the evening was due to depart platform 3 (which were all flashing as replatformed) and 4.

We went to investigate and there was Pendolino Decade of Progress (390 010) in platform 5, Virgin Lionheart (390 044) in platform 6 (fairly unusual to see much in there at all) and an unknown Pendo in the mail platform (never seen anything in there before!)

All of them were illuminated and had obviously been used in service and needed cleaning, there appeared to be no staff on any of them and (consequently) no driver - they all looked to be set for going northbound due to which panto was up and the lights at the departure end were the tail lights.

Anyone any idea why they were all put into Stafford? Seems most unusual! (Thought with the unit numbers someone may find an ECS working on the system somewhere)

Thunderbird Gordon Tracy was also stabled in the "platform" by the station building too - not seen the Thunderbirds here for ages!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
Tyne Yard has a few XC Voyagers overnight, I'm guessing perhaps due to a lack of room at Heaton. TPE sometimes have a unit at Heaton for the early morning service from Newcastle, and there is normally a 142 or two stabled at Darlington overnight.
 

Tomnick

Established Member
Joined
10 Jun 2005
Messages
5,933
I'm guessing the units stabled in Stafford were down to the Oxley resignalling?
 

GB

Established Member
Joined
16 Nov 2008
Messages
6,562
Location
Somewhere
Ive seen an intermodel train put in Whitemoor yard once during severe service disruption.
 

Eng274

Member
Joined
19 Aug 2010
Messages
796
Platform 0 at Haymarket usually has a TPE 185 stabled overnight, except Sat night/Sun morning.
 

Aictos

Established Member
Joined
28 Apr 2009
Messages
10,403
Peterborough can see trains stabled in the platforms although they tend to be FCC 365s when there's engineering works, although doesn't take a rocket scientist to realise that if there's been no power to the train all night then when the pantographs are first raised to power the train then it takes time for the air to build up to operate the doors, ;)
 

TDK

Established Member
Joined
19 Apr 2008
Messages
4,164
Location
Crewe
The through sidings at New Street have voyagers berthed there

Crewe bay platforms house the ATW units

Broome on the HOW has had 153's berthed there before and that must be the most unusual place I can think of
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,307
Tyne Yard has a few XC Voyagers overnight, I'm guessing perhaps due to a lack of room at Heaton.

More because it's EWS who have the contract for the overnight inspections, cleaning and refuelling etc. Looked at nationally, a fair proportion of EWS sites have looked after XC outberthing from way back.

Eastleigh TMD stables seven units overnight under EWS's auspices.
 

Ministry

Member
Joined
22 Nov 2010
Messages
57
Hi all!!

I use Redhill station on a reasonably frequent basis and I've noticed that, on occasion, a Southern 455 is stabled very late at night on the disused parcel sorting platform. The station isn't served by this type of train, yet there is presumably either a strategic gain or a necessity to store it there.

Does anyone know whether it forms a service to or from Redhill either at night or in the morning, or which service it forms?
 

Crossover

Established Member
Joined
4 Jun 2009
Messages
9,493
Location
Yorkshire
The through sidings at New Street have voyagers berthed there

Ah yes, I have seen them there on a few occasions - left running too (as from what I've read they have to do walk round checks when they start them up...tad difficult in the middle of New Street!

I would guess that they have to get permission to cross the lines for staff to board and alight these trains as I can't see a driver been sat on there all day waiting to be needed!
 

westcoaster

Established Member
Joined
4 Dec 2006
Messages
4,511
Location
DTOS A or B
Hi all!!

I use Redhill station on a reasonably frequent basis and I've noticed that, on occasion, a Southern 455 is stabled very late at night on the disused parcel sorting platform. The station isn't served by this type of train, yet there is presumably either a strategic gain or a necessity to store it there.

Does anyone know whether it forms a service to or from Redhill either at night or in the morning, or which service it forms?

You are correct it stables there daily, I've seen it once going London bound very early in the morning, I'm 100% sure it come ecs from caterham late at night.
 

Geezertronic

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2009
Messages
4,125
Location
Birmingham
I'm guessing the units stabled in Stafford were down to the Oxley resignalling?

Yes, the user Respite (a 390 driver) said on a previous thread that 390s will be stabled in "unusual" places during the resignalling and unavailability of access into Oxley
 

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,852
Location
Epsom
Ah yes, I have seen them there on a few occasions - left running too (as from what I've read they have to do walk round checks when they start them up...tad difficult in the middle of New Street!

I would guess that they have to get permission to cross the lines for staff to board and alight these trains as I can't see a driver been sat on there all day waiting to be needed!


The Voyager parked in the through road in the middle of New street is a hot spare; it is started up a couple of times during the day, but not for more than about ½ hour or so at a time. Unless, of course, it is required to be scrambled - though I have only ever seen it being scrambled on three occasions.

I have observed the driver accessing it via the walkway at the Wolverhampton end of the station, off the end of platform 6 / 7 and then leaving it by the same route. That's if it's parked at the north end of the road - if it's at the south end then I would guess there is a similar walkway at the other end - I must have a look next time I'm at New Street.
 

dooton

Member
Joined
18 Nov 2010
Messages
121
Cross Country also stable a few 170's during the day time, infact there has been one between platforms 9 & 10 for the last month or so. Guessing its only moved if its required.
 
Joined
9 Feb 2009
Messages
807
Yes, the user Respite (a 390 driver) said on a previous thread that 390s will be stabled in "unusual" places during the resignalling and unavailability of access into Oxley

Or you could ask my good self as I produced Respite's diagrams;)

During the blockade the stabling allocation has been thus (for weekday):

Wolverhampton - 2 sets
Edge Hill - 2 sets (above usual)
Longsight - 1 set
Euston - 2 sets (to relieve Wembley)
Preston - 1 set
Stafford - 4 sets - Platforms 4,5,6 & RES. Sets into platform 5 have to go through platform 3 and reverse at Stafford No. 5 box.
 

Crossover

Established Member
Joined
4 Jun 2009
Messages
9,493
Location
Yorkshire
Or you could ask my good self as I produced Respite's diagrams;)

During the blockade the stabling allocation has been thus (for weekday):

Wolverhampton - 2 sets
Edge Hill - 2 sets (above usual)
Longsight - 1 set
Euston - 2 sets (to relieve Wembley)
Preston - 1 set
Stafford - 4 sets - Platforms 4,5,6 & RES. Sets into platform 5 have to go through platform 3 and reverse at Stafford No. 5 box.

Great info - thanks Philip :)

Just out of interest, why do sets into Platform 5 have to go through 3 and reverse back? Sure I have seen Pendos in platform 5 before in service as well as 6.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top