• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

UK trains that have been exported to other countries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MarcVD

Established Member
Joined
23 Aug 2016
Messages
1,246
Regarding the 8Fs and Mk2 cars that went to the middle East, Interested People should read the books of Paul Cotterell about railways in Palestine and Israël.

Envoyé de mon GT-I9505 en utilisant Tapatalk
 

Groningen

Established Member
Joined
14 Jan 2015
Messages
2,866
The reason that Class 66 run in the Netherlands is because Bombardier locomotives have trouble with the securitysystems. That is what i read in a dutch railwaymagazine. It is also so that these locomotives are already 15 years in the Netherlands.

Nico Split has an thread about your locomotives: http://www.nicospilt.com/index_class66.htm
 

coppercapped

Established Member
Joined
13 Sep 2015
Messages
3,334
Location
Reading
"Der Adler", built by Robert Stephenson for the Nürnburg - Fürth Railway, delivered 26 October 1835.
 
Joined
9 Apr 2016
Messages
1,909
Thank you for all the extra info. I have added them to my list.

I have just found this very interesting video which shows the class 109 trains in Trinidad & Tobago and has a lot of information about them.

https://youtu.be/Vt8RMr0Wj-Q

Between 16:18 and 22:53 is the part about the class 109 trains.
 

Groningen

Established Member
Joined
14 Jan 2015
Messages
2,866
Netherlands - class 141 - Two class 141 units (141 106 / 141 112) were exported to Netherlands (i believe to Moerdijk). I am not sure what they were used for or what their current status is?

Never been in the Netherlands. Someone has photoshopped this train for Arriva in the Netherlands. You can find it with: Arriva, Netherlands: Class 141 Railbus (fiction)
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,373
Location
Yorkshire
Thank you for all the extra info. I have added them to my list.

I have just found this very interesting video which shows the class 109 trains in Trinidad & Tobago and has a lot of information about them.

https://youtu.be/Vt8RMr0Wj-Q

Between 16:18 and 22:53 is the part about the class 109 trains.

The restoration of the sole surviving 109 is quite a remarkable story, it is available online somewhere.
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,373
Location
Yorkshire
Never been in the Netherlands. Someone has photoshopped this train for Arriva in the Netherlands. You can find it with: Arriva, Netherlands: Class 141 Railbus (fiction)

They were once visible on Google Earth, stored in a massive dockyard somewhere in The Netherlands. The mock-up in Arriva livery was indeed a falsehood though.
 

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Joined
13 Jun 2015
Messages
4,089
I am currently trying to make a list of all UK trains that have been exported to other countries. So far i have found these ones.
.........

Also are there any other trains that have been exported to any other countries that i have missed out from this list?

You have missed out thousands, probably tens of thousands, of "trains" exported, because in steam days, Britain was a major exporter of steam locomotives and, i suspect, of passenger and goods rolling stock.

Locomotives went to all parts of the empire and beyond, eg railways in the Argentine were largely British investments.

Private builders like Dick Kerr and North British Locomotive co were prominent, eg from what i've been told, the railways of Malaya were built by a man trained at Swindon, and had 'very' Swindon characteristics, with locos including copper capped chimneys and lower quadrant signals.

So, you have a big job on your hands if you want to include steam.

I think you need to be very clear what you want, eg split locomotives built for export and locos built for BR, but then sold abroad.

and split those away from passenger rolling stock.

And beware confusing locomotives which were 'similar designs to, but not actually the same class as' confusion - see my notes on Portugal.

A few clarifications i think I can add to your list:

France - had scores of locos built by UK firms in WW1 - most notably some of the LNER J36? 0-6-0s.

Ireland

Took a whole load of Mk 2 air-con carriages built for export from Derby built c 1971-72. i think around 56 - but someone will know.

Of course, the bogies were Irish gauge.


N Ireland - if you count that as export - had a bunch of LMS type locos because the LMS owned NIR.



• Israel - mk2 coaching stock - Some mk2 coaching stock was exported to Israel.

Dunno about the Mk 1s, but they definitely had a Mk2 - or some. There was a non-air con Mk2 in the 3 or 4 coach set that used to trundle back and forwards Haifa to Jerusalem in the 1983-84 period. It might have been a BSO.



• Palestine - class 8F - Some class 8F steam locomotives were exported to Palestine.

These probably ended up in the Israel fleet after the end of the British mandate. Some may have ended up in Lebanon or Egypt.


• Portugal - class 20 - Some class 20 locomotives were built for and exported to Portugal.

I do not think so. There were some locomotives built to a very similar design to the Class 20 - but they were never owned by BR.


• Portugal - class 50 - Some class 50 locomotives were built for and exported to Portugal.

Same comments for Cl 20 above. These were never BR Cl 50s.


• Turkey - Class 8F - Some class 8F steam locomotives were exported to Turkey.

Yes. But I don't know if they were ever LMS stock. They were WD locos, I think.

They were one of the least attractive locomotive classes of the TCD, which had some fabulous locomotives in the early-mid 70s - from ageing Prussian 4-8-4Ts and 0-10-0s to to Czech/German built 2-10-0s.

Good luck. You've got yourself a job for life - if the wife allows you the time :)
 
Joined
9 Apr 2016
Messages
1,909
You have missed out thousands, probably tens of thousands, of "trains" exported, because in steam days, Britain was a major exporter of steam locomotives and, i suspect, of passenger and goods rolling stock.

Locomotives went to all parts of the empire and beyond, eg railways in the Argentine were largely British investments.

Private builders like Dick Kerr and North British Locomotive co were prominent, eg from what i've been told, the railways of Malaya were built by a man trained at Swindon, and had 'very' Swindon characteristics, with locos including copper capped chimneys and lower quadrant signals.

So, you have a big job on your hands if you want to include steam.

I think you need to be very clear what you want, eg split locomotives built for export and locos built for BR, but then sold abroad.

and split those away from passenger rolling stock.

And beware confusing locomotives which were 'similar designs to, but not actually the same class as' confusion - see my notes on Portugal.

A few clarifications i think I can add to your list:

France - had scores of locos built by UK firms in WW1 - most notably some of the LNER J36? 0-6-0s.

Ireland

Took a whole load of Mk 2 air-con carriages built for export from Derby built c 1971-72. i think around 56 - but someone will know.

Of course, the bogies were Irish gauge.


N Ireland - if you count that as export - had a bunch of LMS type locos because the LMS owned NIR.



• Israel - mk2 coaching stock - Some mk2 coaching stock was exported to Israel.

Dunno about the Mk 1s, but they definitely had a Mk2 - or some. There was a non-air con Mk2 in the 3 or 4 coach set that used to trundle back and forwards Haifa to Jerusalem in the 1983-84 period. It might have been a BSO.



• Palestine - class 8F - Some class 8F steam locomotives were exported to Palestine.

These probably ended up in the Israel fleet after the end of the British mandate. Some may have ended up in Lebanon or Egypt.


• Portugal - class 20 - Some class 20 locomotives were built for and exported to Portugal.

I do not think so. There were some locomotives built to a very similar design to the Class 20 - but they were never owned by BR.


• Portugal - class 50 - Some class 50 locomotives were built for and exported to Portugal.

Same comments for Cl 20 above. These were never BR Cl 50s.


• Turkey - Class 8F - Some class 8F steam locomotives were exported to Turkey.

Yes. But I don't know if they were ever LMS stock. They were WD locos, I think.

They were one of the least attractive locomotive classes of the TCD, which had some fabulous locomotives in the early-mid 70s - from ageing Prussian 4-8-4Ts and 0-10-0s to to Czech/German built 2-10-0s.

Good luck. You've got yourself a job for life - if the wife allows you the time :)

Thanks for the info. I didnt realise quite how complicating it is and how many trains have been exported! I guess i am looking for both trains that were used in the UK and exported and also UK designed trains that were built for other countries. I probably wont manage to make a full list but i will try!
 

Gordon

Member
Joined
11 Feb 2011
Messages
1,145
Location
Surrey
Thanks for the info. I didnt realise quite how complicating it is and how many trains have been exported!

Good luck!

You can add Paraguay...

The last time I saw active genuine revenue earning standard gauge steam was in 1991 when the last active train I saw running on my South American trip was a 2-6-0 hauling an Asuncion - Encarnacion freight through Sapucay... hauled by number 152, built by Yorkshire Engine Company in 1953...

Other locos built by North British, and a works at Sapucay full of steam driven maintenance equipment proudly stamped 'Made in Manchester, England' - 'Birmingham, England' etc








.
 

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Joined
13 Jun 2015
Messages
4,089
I have just remembered a detail on France.

France had what the LNER called 04 2-8-0s - based on the Great Central heavy goods loco designed by Robinson.

I think the French designation was 140D.

I don't know if these were built for the GC/LNER or were built for the War Department directly. Or possibly both types existed.

Interestingly a) these locos were used as WD locos in both WW1 and WW2

b) I believe SNCF's last two working classes of steam loco were 141Rs and the 140Ds - the first an American build, the second, British.

(This is not to knock the French, who were leaders in steam loco design - just ironic that it should be so, and a tribute to the ruggedness and relatively cheap operability of the 04s and 141Rs).

BTW, SWT class 450 - I tried to hint yesterday, calling everything 'trains' does not sound very 'professional'. Words matter, and you need to be clear on what you are talking about. Much better,and clearer - and more likely to get you answers - to talk about locomotives and rolling stock, DMUs and EMUs etc.
 

Gordon

Member
Joined
11 Feb 2011
Messages
1,145
Location
Surrey
I have just remembered a detail on France.

France had what the LNER called 04 2-8-0s - based on the Great Central heavy goods loco designed by Robinson.

I think the French designation was 140D.

Interestingly a) these locos were used as WD locos in both WW1 and WW2

b) I believe SNCF's last two working classes of steam loco were 141Rs and the 140Ds - the first an American build, the second, British.

.



No, there's something not right here I'm afraid.

I think the SNCF 140D were American ROD locos (aka Pershing). The LNER O4 type I think only served in the 1st WW and then came home.

The last steam locomotive to operate a revenue train in France was a North British Built 140C in 1975. The 140Cs also date from the 1st WW so there longevity was remarkable.



.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top