Hello everyone, I'm currently sat in Harwich International ferry terminal waiting to board the ferry to Hoek Van Holland in The Netherlands. I've booked various trains, ferries and coaches taking me across Europe for the next two weeks. I won't tell you where I'm going just yet, you'll have to carry on reading.
We'll start with day one then shall we...
I started the day at work on the night shift, I finished at 0800 and home by 0830 and had an initial plan of going to the terminal from London via Leicester, Peterborough, Ely and Ipswich as I needed the line via Corby to Leicester and EMT were diverting that way today. I also needed the line via Bury St Edmunds. I ended up going to sleep instead and awoke at 1300. I packed my bag and checked I had everything with me and left home at 1450. I took the bus to Richmond station which was surprisingly quiet but I discovered that there were no South West Trains trains running through the station, luckily I wasn't aiming to catch them so I jumped on a District line train to Hammersmith. At Hammersmith I swapped platforms and got on to the waiting Piccadilly line train to take me to Kings Cross St Pancras arriving at 1600.
I'm at Kings Cross because there are no direct trains from Liverpool Street, I would have had to taken the Central Line to Newbury Park, bus to Ingatestone and train onwards from there which I really didn't fancy, especially with the station staff strike looming. Stena did call me and tell me that there would be a replacement coach from Liverpool Street direct to Harwich but I didn't fancy that either. I check the boards for the next Ely train, which was at 1615. I bought my ticket for £19.80 and a meal deal from WH Smith's and head over to platform 6 to be greeted by 3 x Class 365s joined together. I jump on the leading unit as this one is the only one going on towards Ely and Kings Lynn and have the coach to myself. We depart on time (with the driver announcing it as a "Great Northern Mainline service" which confused me slightly as surely all Great Northern trains use the mainline?) and take the "new" flyover at Hitchin which I hadn't done yet and arrive into Cambridge on time and the train fills up considerably, we carry on up to Ely and almost everyone got off when we arrived on time at 1721.
I had a long wait here at Ely for the 1829 service to Colchester via Bury St Edmunds, this being new track up to Stowmarket and jump ship at Manningtree where we arrived one minute early at 1934, giving me plenty of time to catch the 1936 to Harwich International. I was planning to stay on till Harwich Town to finish off the line as it was required but I decided against doing so as I only had the Rail & Sail ticket which presumably wouldn't be valid. I also remembered about the curve going to Ipswich which was needed so knew I would have to come back and finish it off at some point anyways.
I walk over the bridge and into the terminal and sit and watch Antiques roadshow on the television. The staff open the check in at 2030 and I was the second one through out of about 10 of us. Very quick bag scan and passport check and I collect my cabin card, breakfast voucher and rail ticket for any station in the Netherlands and take another seat and carrying on waiting. Hopefully we'll board soon so I can get some water and dinner before getting some Zzzz's...
We'll start with day one then shall we...
I started the day at work on the night shift, I finished at 0800 and home by 0830 and had an initial plan of going to the terminal from London via Leicester, Peterborough, Ely and Ipswich as I needed the line via Corby to Leicester and EMT were diverting that way today. I also needed the line via Bury St Edmunds. I ended up going to sleep instead and awoke at 1300. I packed my bag and checked I had everything with me and left home at 1450. I took the bus to Richmond station which was surprisingly quiet but I discovered that there were no South West Trains trains running through the station, luckily I wasn't aiming to catch them so I jumped on a District line train to Hammersmith. At Hammersmith I swapped platforms and got on to the waiting Piccadilly line train to take me to Kings Cross St Pancras arriving at 1600.
I'm at Kings Cross because there are no direct trains from Liverpool Street, I would have had to taken the Central Line to Newbury Park, bus to Ingatestone and train onwards from there which I really didn't fancy, especially with the station staff strike looming. Stena did call me and tell me that there would be a replacement coach from Liverpool Street direct to Harwich but I didn't fancy that either. I check the boards for the next Ely train, which was at 1615. I bought my ticket for £19.80 and a meal deal from WH Smith's and head over to platform 6 to be greeted by 3 x Class 365s joined together. I jump on the leading unit as this one is the only one going on towards Ely and Kings Lynn and have the coach to myself. We depart on time (with the driver announcing it as a "Great Northern Mainline service" which confused me slightly as surely all Great Northern trains use the mainline?) and take the "new" flyover at Hitchin which I hadn't done yet and arrive into Cambridge on time and the train fills up considerably, we carry on up to Ely and almost everyone got off when we arrived on time at 1721.
I had a long wait here at Ely for the 1829 service to Colchester via Bury St Edmunds, this being new track up to Stowmarket and jump ship at Manningtree where we arrived one minute early at 1934, giving me plenty of time to catch the 1936 to Harwich International. I was planning to stay on till Harwich Town to finish off the line as it was required but I decided against doing so as I only had the Rail & Sail ticket which presumably wouldn't be valid. I also remembered about the curve going to Ipswich which was needed so knew I would have to come back and finish it off at some point anyways.
I walk over the bridge and into the terminal and sit and watch Antiques roadshow on the television. The staff open the check in at 2030 and I was the second one through out of about 10 of us. Very quick bag scan and passport check and I collect my cabin card, breakfast voucher and rail ticket for any station in the Netherlands and take another seat and carrying on waiting. Hopefully we'll board soon so I can get some water and dinner before getting some Zzzz's...
