• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Tube stations with lift access only

Status
Not open for further replies.

transmanche

Established Member
Joined
27 Feb 2011
Messages
6,021
Can you get into trouble for using the "Emergency Exit Only" stairs when there is no emergency?
Some bylaw or something, or is it just a courtesy thing?
TfL Railway Bylaws:

[Quote="TfL Railway Bylaw 9 (4)]... No person shall enter or leave by an emergency exit except in an emergency or when directed to do so by an authorised person.[/QUOTE]
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

user15681

Established Member
Joined
3 Jun 2012
Messages
1,354
Russell Squares sign is 175 steps or 15 floors, so I waited for the lift to be fixed!! the other week

I'm reliably told it's actually 171 steps... but that's me being pedantic. I've done it plenty of times, but never counted.
 

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
13,773
Location
Yorkshire
I'm reliably told it's actually 171 steps... but that's me being pedantic. I've done it plenty of times, but never counted.

I went down yesterday but lost count around half way down - and I wasn't going to return to the top to restart!
 

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
7 Aug 2005
Messages
21,194
Location
0035
Can you get into trouble for using the "Emergency Exit Only" stairs when there is no emergency?
Some bylaw or something, or is it just a courtesy thing?
TfL Railway Bylaws:

[Quote="TfL Railway Bylaw 9 (4)]... No person shall enter or leave by an emergency exit except in an emergency or when directed to do so by an authorised person.
[/QUOTE]
It depends on the signage - there is an 'Emergency exit' sign at Kings + on the Subsurface platforms that says this, but you are allowed to walk that way because it's the signed route to the Tube lines. The sign is implying that you can exit that way but only in an emergency - not that you aren't allowed to use that staircase.
 

fsmr

Member
Joined
11 Feb 2009
Messages
659
I'm reliably told it's actually 171 steps... but that's me being pedantic. I've done it plenty of times, but never counted.

That is the TFL warning sign at the bottom of the stairs i took a pic of it while waiting for the lift to be mended 175 steps 15 floors
 

transmanche

Established Member
Joined
27 Feb 2011
Messages
6,021
is that an obscure bylaw I wonder?
Oh haha, very funny. :roll:

I made no comment about the obscurity or otherwise of the bylaws; I was merely trying to be helpful by answering Lockwood's question.
 

moogal

Member
Joined
18 Oct 2012
Messages
264
Location
Milton Keynes
I used to work near Holloway Road station and the stairs were usually very busy - helped by it being a relatively short staircase, with some rather old slow lifts. Usually plenty of people using the stairs in both directions.

(The thing that used to drive me nuts was the staircase to the platforms, signposted with "Walk on the left", but people coming up would walk on the right anyway)
 

PeterY

Established Member
Joined
2 Apr 2013
Messages
1,363
:DHow about this for a new tube challenge. Visit every tube station with lifts only and do the stairs only (Upwards of course.) :o

How many steps at Hampstead?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top