• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Oldest passenger unit class with all examples still in service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neptune

Established Member
Joined
29 May 2018
Messages
2,626
Location
Yorkshire
That is a good question considering that EMR services are frequently short formed. If they could get all the units out in service with the cuts to the service they wouldnt need them on the current timetable. But if EMR could operate their full timetable these units would be needed.

In answer to the question I would go for the 150/0 or 150/1
Surely it can’t be split into sub classes. A 150 is a 150 whether it is a /0, /1 or /2. A bit like a 47. Many sub classes but they are still 47’s.

I’ll go with 318 on this or if 484 is allowed then I shall go with class 69. Isn’t the earliest one from 1976 ;)
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Joined
24 Mar 2020
Messages
5,788
Location
SW London
Class 69 is not, as far as I am aware, in use on passenger service!
Have any 1972 mk2 stock units been withdrawn? I know theyve been augmented with some Mark 1 cars.
 

bramling

Veteran Member
Joined
5 Mar 2012
Messages
20,411
Location
Hertfordshire / Teesdale
Class 69 is not, as far as I am aware, in use on passenger service!
Have any 1972 mk2 stock units been withdrawn? I know theyve been augmented with some Mark 1 cars.

Five cars of 72Mk2 stock have been withdrawn.

3539 & 4539 went through the buffer stops at Harrow & Wealdstone siding

3249 & 4249 derailed at Piccadilly Circus

3257 in a separate derailment at Piccadilly Circus

All five cars were scrapped in the 1990s, though other cars from all three units remain in service in units 3266 and 3299.

The Piccadilly fleet has lost a fair few vehicles too
888 - fire damage Wood Green/Bounds Green
314 - never entered service
204-604-404 - robbed for spares off the back of minor collision damage
166-566-366 - 7/7

So for LU the oldest fully intact fleet is currently the 92 stock. The District Line’s D stock fleet did manage to survive fully intact until fleet withdrawal started, however I think the mainline class 313 achieved longer as they entered service earlier and the first withdrawal was some years later.
 
Last edited:

Sunil_P

On Moderation
Joined
31 Oct 2022
Messages
526
Location
Ilford
I'd imagine not many 1973 stock vehicles on the Piccadilly line have been withdrawn over the years.
 

CR165022

Established Member
Joined
12 Nov 2019
Messages
1,430
Location
Buckinghamshire
The 165s are quite old, definitely not the oldest though, however one was scrapped so they don't really count!
 

D7666

Member
Joined
12 Aug 2013
Messages
998
The two locomotives on the Hythe Pier Tramway were built in 1917, so 102 years old!
But fail as a complete class of the question asked; they are ex WW1 battery munitions locos of which there were dozens.
 

xotGD

Established Member
Joined
4 Feb 2017
Messages
7,881
Class 8P.

Only one built, 71000 Duke of Gloucester, in 1954. Still in service. Well, it will be again next year.
 

fgwrich

Established Member
Joined
15 Apr 2009
Messages
10,644
Location
Hampshire
Pretty certain all class 156 units are still in service from 1987.

Some of the EMR class 156 units were stood down out of service at Barrow Hill, although not withdrawn. I dont know whether that is still the case.

I think the only 156s to be temporarily stood down at Barrow Hill were the ex Anglian /9s. However, at least 1 156 has been unofficially stood down and hasn’t seen service for a while - 156498 rings a bell, due to corrosion. It was lingering in its own road at Etches Park but has since been taken by road to Millennium for what’s believed to be an assessment.
 

Bikeman78

Established Member
Joined
26 Apr 2018
Messages
6,188
I think the only 156s to be temporarily stood down at Barrow Hill were the ex Anglian /9s. However, at least 1 156 has been unofficially stood down and hasn’t seen service for a while - 156498 rings a bell, due to corrosion. It was lingering in its own road at Etches Park but has since been taken by road to Millennium for what’s believed to be an assessment.
Recently I read that the Scottish 156 that ran through flood water (156478?) has been stood down.
 

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2019
Messages
4,483
Yes I remember that but it's off lease again. Not sure why. I'd forgotten how deep that flood was. How did people get out?

Bluntly because Scotrail don’t need it with the post covid reduction in demand. It’s an oddball unit which was on its own lease from a separate company so brings lots of efficiencies not leasing it.
 

Bikeman78

Established Member
Joined
26 Apr 2018
Messages
6,188
Bluntly because Scotrail don’t need it with the post covid reduction in demand. It’s an oddball unit which was on its own lease from a separate company so brings lots of efficiencies not leasing it.
Seems a bit wasteful to have it doing nothing when other TOCs are cancelling trains owing to lack of stock. I wonder if Brodie has tried to sell it to a ROSCO.
 

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2019
Messages
4,483
Seems a bit wasteful to have it doing nothing when other TOCs are cancelling trains owing to lack of stock. I wonder if Brodie has tried to sell it to a ROSCO.

Which TOCs which have 156 competency are cancelling trains on a daily basis due to lack of stock? Nobody else is going to want a single 156!

Or are you referring to trains which haven’t run since Covid-19 that are no longer part of the timetable?
 

Bikeman78

Established Member
Joined
26 Apr 2018
Messages
6,188
Which TOCs which have 156 competency are cancelling trains on a daily basis due to lack of stock? Nobody else is going to want a single 156!

Or are you referring to trains which haven’t run since Covid-19 that are no longer part of the timetable?
I thought EMR were short of stock but perhaps I have got the wrong end of the stick. One option I had in mind was Northern use the 156 and release another 150 to TfW.
 

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2019
Messages
4,483
I thought EMR were short of stock but perhaps I have got the wrong end of the stick. One option I had in mind was Northern use the 156 and release another 150 to TfW.

I don’t believe EMR are short of stock, yes they are waiting for the 170s to replace the 156s but that’s entirely separate.

Northern have already released two 150s to help TfW out, some of the services 150s work on aren’t practical to be worked by 156s instead.
 

Maude673

Member
Joined
10 Apr 2018
Messages
28
Yes I remember that but it's off lease again. Not sure why. I'd forgotten how deep that flood was. How did people get out?
Sorry I miss read your original post. I wasn’t aware it was now surplus and off lease.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top