• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tottenham Court Road has been moved on the tube map!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel

Established Member
Joined
5 Oct 2005
Messages
2,568
Location
London
Of course the new March 2011 Tube map shows it as a normal interchange.

The March 2011 ones didn't, the April 2011 issue don't.


(Yes, there is a new issue of Tube Maps 1 month after the previous one).
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,950
Location
UK
Really? Google says it's a 20 minute walk (approx.), whereas the Northern Line took less than 5 minutes, plus another 5 minutes walk to the museum.

Gower Street and Tavistock Square/Woburn Place are both fairly long roads! :)

I didn't mean it was right outside, but it saves going down and waiting for a tube train (then the exiting at the other end).

There are many places in Z1 where it's almost as quick to walk - and often quicker as walking usually takes the same amount of time no matter what. In the summer, I prefer walking wherever possible!

I've often walked from Oxford Street and TCR to King's Cross, via Euston Road or cutting through via Bloomsbury/Russel Square, and from TCR it's about 25 minutes to KGX, so I'd say Google is being fairly conservative.
 

All Line Rover

Established Member
Joined
17 Feb 2011
Messages
5,270
I didn't mean it was right outside, but it saves going down and waiting for a tube train (then the exiting at the other end).

There are many places in Z1 where it's almost as quick to walk - and often quicker as walking usually takes the same amount of time no matter what. In the summer, I prefer walking wherever possible!

I've often walked from Oxford Street and TCR to King's Cross, via Euston Road or cutting through via Bloomsbury/Russel Square, and from TCR it's about 25 minutes to KGX, so I'd say Google is being fairly conservative.

Why would you walk from Oxford Street to King's Cross since you could just take the Victoria line? :)

I know that there are many journeys in Zone 1 which are quicker to walk, such as Oxford Circus to Tottenham Court Road, Bond Street to Oxford Circus/Marble Arch, Euston to King's Cross/Great Portland Street, Leicester Square to Covent Garden, etc., but when you have a Travelcard or an Oyster card which is bound to reach the Off-Peak price cap, you don't mind taking the bus or tube whenever it is quicker.
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,950
Location
UK
Why would you walk from Oxford Street to King's Cross since you could just take the Victoria line? :)

I know that there are many journeys in Zone 1 which are quicker to walk, such as Oxford Circus to Tottenham Court Road, Bond Street to Oxford Circus/Marble Arch, Euston to King's Cross/Great Portland Street, Leicester Square to Covent Garden, etc., but when you have a Travelcard or an Oyster card which is bound to reach the Off-Peak price cap, you don't mind taking the bus or tube whenever it is quicker.

I have a season ticket, but enjoy walking and if it isn't raining then a walk is nice. I don't feel compelled to use it whenever possible to get my money's worth! If I'm in a rush, it's different.

Also the Victoria Line is always hot and sticky - even the new trains. The air blown out is powerful but it's warm, and the equipment gives off lots of heat - and makes the seats feel like they're heated! I've been the only person on a 09 stock carriage and it's STILL hot!

There's also the option of taking a bus, but they're usually very busy.
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,950
Location
UK
They seem to be going fine then you go into Euston and it takes ages to get back onto Euston Road. Missed many trains because of this!
 

causton

Established Member
Joined
4 Aug 2010
Messages
5,504
Location
Somewhere between WY372 and MV7
And they often take AGES!

Indeed I have caught a bus from TCR to places northwards to catch trains (either at specific times, or to connect to buses going towards home which are at specific times) and I often wonder how often the drivers actually manage to keep to their schedules, seeing how much time the journeys are supposed to take on the London Bus Routes site... (one thing I forget about buses in London is that people will get on/off at just about every stop, unlike in Hertfordshire where you can go about 5/6 stops before people board/alight again!)
 

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
7 Aug 2005
Messages
21,194
Location
0035
Indeed I have caught a bus from TCR to places northwards to catch trains (either at specific times, or to connect to buses going towards home which are at specific times) and I often wonder how often the drivers actually manage to keep to their schedules, seeing how much time the journeys are supposed to take on the London Bus Routes site... (one thing I forget about buses in London is that people will get on/off at just about every stop, unlike in Hertfordshire where you can go about 5/6 stops before people board/alight again!)
It's worse in places like Oxford where lots of people use omibuses so they stop a lot, but there lots of the services are run with single-door vehicles, AND the driver has to faff around with money and ticket machines.
 

causton

Established Member
Joined
4 Aug 2010
Messages
5,504
Location
Somewhere between WY372 and MV7
It's worse in places like Oxford where lots of people use omibuses so they stop a lot, but there lots of the services are run with single-door vehicles, AND the driver has to faff around with money and ticket machines.
Yes, after going out to London for the day I really miss double doors here. I think here the timing breaks about even as you spend a lot of time on the move as apart from key corridors, patronage isn't that high, but at stops you spend so long dealing with the different fares, ticket validity, checking passes etc. - it has taken literally ten minutes in St Albans one time (a bus was starting service there and almost a whole busload of passengers were waiting for it!)

What annoys me is when operators around here have double doors on vehicles and then the driver doesn't open them! I didn't want to stop the bus and just stare outside at the trees from this middle door, y'know...
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,950
Location
UK
London has very few people paying cash now, so boarding and alighting is incredibly quick unless the bus is very full. Even then, it's quicker than perhaps just one or two people boarding a normal bus in any other town.

Ironically, buses out of town are irregular and have to try and run to a timetable, so if the route isn't busy - the bus ends up early. Many drivers won't wait, so the bus can wind up passing a stop five or ten minutes early (so people miss it, but don't even know they have). In London, many buses are just set to run 'every 5-7 minutes' as an approximation to account for traffic, with a service so frequent that people don't need to worry.

Oh, and they often have screens that say when the buses are due too.

Londoners get it pretty good I think, and I much prefer taking buses there.
 

bicbasher

Established Member
Joined
14 May 2010
Messages
1,839
Location
London
I know that there are many journeys in Zone 1 which are quicker to walk, such as Oxford Circus to Tottenham Court Road, Bond Street to Oxford Circus/Marble Arch, Euston to King's Cross/Great Portland Street, Leicester Square to Covent Garden, etc., but when you have a Travelcard or an Oyster card which is bound to reach the Off-Peak price cap, you don't mind taking the bus or tube whenever it is quicker.

Using Charing Cross as a starting point, you can walk to Piccadilly Circus, Leicester Square and Covent Garden within 5/10 mins without the need of using the tube. Westminster is 10 mins walking along Whitehall. Tottenham Court Road is 10/15 mins walking along Charing Cross Road, same for Holborn if you know the back streets along Covent Garden. (Embankment is 30 secs to 2 mins walk too!)

Waterloo is 10/15 mins from Charing Cross walking along Hungerford Bridge & the South Bank complex. Victoria, easily 20/25 mins.
 

tripleseis

Member
Joined
7 Sep 2008
Messages
208
If you wanted Waterloo/South Bank area and arrived at Charing Cross via mainline train then you'd be better off leaving the train at Waterloo East! But you already knew that! :D

BTW - you can see the Embankment station entrance from the Villiers Street exit of Charing Cross tube station.
 

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
13,774
Location
Yorkshire
London has very few people paying cash now, so boarding and alighting is incredibly quick unless the bus is very full. Even then, it's quicker than perhaps just one or two people boarding a normal bus in any other town.

Ironically, buses out of town are irregular and have to try and run to a timetable, so if the route isn't busy - the bus ends up early. Many drivers won't wait, so the bus can wind up passing a stop five or ten minutes early (so people miss it, but don't even know they have). In London, many buses are just set to run 'every 5-7 minutes' as an approximation to account for traffic, with a service so frequent that people don't need to worry.

Oh, and they often have screens that say when the buses are due too.

And going from 1800 to 2500 Countdown signs in London (at one time was going to be 4000 but there's been a few budget cuts...) - and SMS/web access to predictions coming soon too.
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,950
Location
UK
We have screens in Hertfordshire, but they simply show a fixed timetable that serve no more purpose than printed timetables on a bus stop!

If they could display when buses are late (or highlight when a bus ran early) then they'd be like London, but the buses aren't fitted with the technology. Herts County Council must have spent a lot of money installing the screens for no benefit at all.
 

N Levers

Member
Joined
22 Dec 2010
Messages
308
We have screens in Hertfordshire, but they simply show a fixed timetable that serve no more purpose than printed timetables on a bus stop!

If they could display when buses are late (or highlight when a bus ran early) then they'd be like London, but the buses aren't fitted with the technology. Herts County Council must have spent a lot of money installing the screens for no benefit at all.

It's like that in Brighton. The buses are fitted with Tech for estimated timings but half the time the screens just say "check timetable for next bus" or something similar.
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,950
Location
UK
At least some of the info is 'live'. None of the buses (Arriva, Uno, Sullivan etc) have any tech to track their position or provide information to passengers 'next stop is...'.

HCC said they were going to invest in this, but it never happened. Same reason my bus stop has no tarmac, a huge hole where the electrics will one day go for lighting (it's been over 3 years now) and string to presumably pull down the wiring for the day we get an LCD panel to display pointless information!

Given how Uno drivers regularly run early, GPS would make it a lot easier to prove what they're doing, so I doubt the bus companies are very keen on getting the new tech any more than HCC are on spending money on it.
 

causton

Established Member
Joined
4 Aug 2010
Messages
5,504
Location
Somewhere between WY372 and MV7
At least some of the info is 'live'. None of the buses (Arriva, Uno, Sullivan etc) have any tech to track their position or provide information to passengers 'next stop is...'.

HCC said they were going to invest in this, but it never happened. Same reason my bus stop has no tarmac, a huge hole where the electrics will one day go for lighting (it's been over 3 years now) and string to presumably pull down the wiring for the day we get an LCD panel to display pointless information!

Given how Uno drivers regularly run early, GPS would make it a lot easier to prove what they're doing, so I doubt the bus companies are very keen on getting the new tech any more than HCC are on spending money on it.

I have heard trials are going to take place (already taking place?) on some buses, IIRC it was Watford's arriva garage and Uno, maybe a few others. I'll look a bit deeper as I forgot where I read the news from, not a very useful trial as nothing will be shown to the public, just logged/monitored by HCC staff as far as I know...

Edit: some information is available on http://www.hertsdirect.org/docs/pdf/i/intalinkcons.pdf and it says they will "deliver customer benefits [for the Automatic Vehicle Location and real-time bus times] by mid-2011" ... apparently!
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,950
Location
UK
Thanks for that. I hadn't been to the HCC site for a while, so that document must be relatively new.

I do hope they invest in this and get it up and running. Only tonight I missed my bus as it went early - as I was still crossing the bridge to get out of Hatfield station.

Drivers really do hate waiting around to pick up passengers, so the HCC live system should make it easy to detect those drivers and get someone to have a word with them - at least the HCC sponsored ones. I guess the others will do what they like.
 

causton

Established Member
Joined
4 Aug 2010
Messages
5,504
Location
Somewhere between WY372 and MV7
I do hope they invest in this and get it up and running. Only tonight I missed my bus as it went early - as I was still crossing the bridge to get out of Hatfield station.

Drivers really do hate waiting around to pick up passengers, so the HCC live system should make it easy to detect those drivers and get someone to have a word with them - at least the HCC sponsored ones. I guess the others will do what they like.

Some idiot designed the Uno timetable to have the 602s leaving at 15 and 45 past at night when the slow trains coming from London come at 16 and 46! So I know how you feel, having a 29 minute wait lots of nights...

I think the document I linked to is just a proposed one, up for public questioning, but I assume they are still aiming to have the AVL up by at least the end of the year in some places. Of course, you see the signs have been upgraded to a slightly different software (although the Hatfield Rail Station has had some template left on there, as I always see a 'Next Bus to Rail Station due at 23:59') ... I am going to email Intalink to see how the project is going and report back, as they are usually very friendly!
 

Dstock7080

Established Member
Joined
17 Feb 2010
Messages
3,539
Location
West London
Never any consistency with LU regarding maps!

As has been said, the March 2011 had Tottenham Court Road as an interchange with no sign of the future works. Then (3weeks later) appeared the April 2011 with the Northern station omitted.

Blackfriars, has been show with a red line through it since March 2009.

Latimer Road has been closed until April 2011, with NO mention on the 'Tube' maps at all!
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,950
Location
UK
Go to Old Street station, FCC platforms, and you can probably find a tube map that shows Tottenham Court Road as under construction, the first time around!
 

causton

Established Member
Joined
4 Aug 2010
Messages
5,504
Location
Somewhere between WY372 and MV7
Never any consistency with LU regarding maps!

As has been said, the March 2011 had Tottenham Court Road as an interchange with no sign of the future works. Then (3weeks later) appeared the April 2011 with the Northern station omitted.

Blackfriars, has been show with a red line through it since March 2009.

Latimer Road has been closed until April 2011, with NO mention on the 'Tube' maps at all!

I think it was because:

a) Blackfriars has no tube service at all, therefore it is effectively closed.
b) TCR is still open to Central line services, so obviously no cross. Perhaps a crossed out interchange symbol would have been better than acting like there never was a Northern line stop here!
c) Latimer Road wasn't included because I think it was just going to be a short closure of a couple of weeks but they realised the platform needed a lot more work.

Maybe... :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top