
I first watched it when it was broadcast on BBC some years ago, late at night. Sat in front of a roaring fire, it is a great memory of mine. Scary, no; I'd agree with you there, but it does have a certain charm. The reason for the red light against the tunnel, I can't say - but if it's an artistic choice it falls in line with the inconsistent use of the block bells. That said, it doesn't spoil my enjoyment of it. Well acted and effective imagery.Yes,I watched this and admit I fell asleep halfway through. Watched it again and found it doesn't really have a scary story even though it's meant to be a classic.
Why is there a permanent red lantern outside the tunnel? I suppose the signalmen waves his red flag at passing trains as he has no signals. A very strange programme!
I'd love to see a modern version of this set in a ROC![]()