tbtc
Veteran Member
How dare the modern railway change things to make them more understandable to everyday passengers?
It seems to be common on threads to bemoan attempts to be customer friendly, which often sound like "why do TOCs keep announcing things that I already know" from regular travellers on here who don't appreciate that infrequent passengers joining at each station may need reminders/ explanations of things that seasoned enthusiasts take for granted
All the 'inclusive' liveries and the like count for nothing if we don't also 'include' the 50% of population with below average intelligence (or the 90% of British people who never or rarely use trains)
I want the railway to work. I don't care whether we refer to the "rail station" or the "train station". If that feels symbolic of some kind of national decline in people's eyes then fair enough but I'm personally more bothered about what works. If people understand "divides" better than "separates" (or the other way round) then so be it
This is the railway we're talking about though, which seems wedded to various things for traditions' sakes
(Just an aside but there seem to be an increasing number of thread titles that seem rather one sided, instead of people arguing their point - words like "disaster"/"fiasco" and now "sad dumbification")
It seems to be common on threads to bemoan attempts to be customer friendly, which often sound like "why do TOCs keep announcing things that I already know" from regular travellers on here who don't appreciate that infrequent passengers joining at each station may need reminders/ explanations of things that seasoned enthusiasts take for granted
All the 'inclusive' liveries and the like count for nothing if we don't also 'include' the 50% of population with below average intelligence (or the 90% of British people who never or rarely use trains)
I want the railway to work. I don't care whether we refer to the "rail station" or the "train station". If that feels symbolic of some kind of national decline in people's eyes then fair enough but I'm personally more bothered about what works. If people understand "divides" better than "separates" (or the other way round) then so be it
This is the railway we're talking about though, which seems wedded to various things for traditions' sakes
(Just an aside but there seem to be an increasing number of thread titles that seem rather one sided, instead of people arguing their point - words like "disaster"/"fiasco" and now "sad dumbification")