CR165022
Established Member
Possibly EMR to replace 158889 which is going back to SWR?Indeed - the 23rd unit I believe is to go to a third operator as yet to be confirmed.
Possibly EMR to replace 158889 which is going back to SWR?Indeed - the 23rd unit I believe is to go to a third operator as yet to be confirmed.
It would make sense. Aside from requiring the cab modifications, a Perkins 158 wouldn’t be too far removed from the rest of the Perkins powered batch with EMR.Possibly EMR to replace 158889 which is going back to SWR?
Biggest issue is the provision of the PRM toilet - think the two undamaged/less damaged cars are the ones without the PRM facilities?It would make sense. Aside from requiring the cab modifications, a Perkins 158 wouldn’t be too far removed from the rest of the Perkins powered batch with EMR.
A quick look at the station usage change map by Tim Jupp shows why GWR needs them more than northern.Even that will be a major disappointment for Northern. The low availability of Classes 195 and 769 leaves short forming and cancellations as everyday events. The TfW 158s were the only hope for relieving the situation until new stock arrives by 2031 at best.
Similar interior too, which will avoid the extra refurbishment work that was planned for 158889 (though ETCS removal and other mods need to be made…)It would make sense. Aside from requiring the cab modifications, a Perkins 158 wouldn’t be too far removed from the rest of the Perkins powered batch with EMR.
Both of the undamaged ones are the 52 cars which have the PRM toilets in, I believeBiggest issue is the provision of the PRM toilet - think the two undamaged/less damaged cars are the ones without the PRM facilities?
I think after the recent announcement from TPE, that 2031 date for Northern is highly unlikely.Even that will be a major disappointment for Northern. The low availability of Classes 195 and 769 leaves short forming and cancellations as everyday events. The TfW 158s were the only hope for relieving the situation until new stock arrives by 2031 at best.
Apologies - yes you are correct.Both of the undamaged ones are the 52 cars which have the PRM toilets in, I believe
So if they're formed into a 23rd unit, it will have two accessible toilets and four wheelchair spaces, but no bicycle space? (I suppose they could redesignate one of the vehicles as a 'bicycle space' vehicle and replace its toilet with a bicycle storage area)Both of the undamaged ones are the 52 cars which have the PRM toilets in, I believe
Although if GWR is planning to use some as middle car of 3 car units (not confirmed) then they might just use these odd cars, and a 2car unit goes elsewhere.So if they're formed into a 23rd unit, it will have two accessible toilets and four wheelchair spaces, but no bicycle space? (I suppose they could redesignate one of the vehicles as a 'bicycle space' vehicle and replace its toilet with a bicycle storage area)