grw_moody
Member
Hi all!
If you are reading this i hope you are very well. I have received a TFL Verification Letter, dated Thursday 9th January 2025 for an incident on Wednesday 8th 2025, which I have only received today. I only have 3 days left to respond, so any quick responses would be much appreciated.
I was stopped by a TFL Revenue Officer at London Bridge Underground station as I had just tapped in the gates to board the Jubilee line to attend a new work event, for a job that I had just started this a few days before. I had tapped in using my fathers Oyster card (which is a 60+ card, which I have learnt is called a 'Freedom Pass) as my debit card was overdrawn, and I had no means of topping the card up until my first pay day which is later on this month. Note that I had used the card to travel from another station in the London Zones (National Rail) to London Bridge initially. Please note that I have not used my fathers oyster card, or any other individuals oyster card ever in my history prior to this incident, and have never had an issue with TfL/the police or any other prior conviction in my life.
I have actually just come back from living abroad for two years, so not all familiar with the terms and conditions, not that that is an excuse - just more context for the reader. When I was stopped with the officer, I was compliant and courteous with him, though I did not give much detail apart from stating that I had just moved back to the UK a week prior.
I am particularly concerned as:
a) there tight timeline to respond to the letter (3 days remaining);
b) I hold an ICAEW Charted Accountancy qualification and work at a big professional services firm that take things like this very seriously; and
c) I also plan to return back to the US for work within the year, and am deeply concerned that this can impact the Visa process
I've attached the letter I have received from TFL, blacked out personal info for privacy reason. My ask of you is to please provide me with any advice on how to move forward; from my online research, given that I used a Freedom pass and TfL is notoriously difficult to , I am best off soliciting legal advice, which I have emailed a few firms to do so. But if any of you have any tips or tricks or even have experienced a similar situation where you had a positive resolution (i.e. not a criminal conviction), please do respond.
I want to end this by saying thank you, and that this is NOT something I have taken lightly at all - my carelessness in understanding the impact of my action is my responsibility which I fully understand and will now hold myself accountable going forward.
View attachment 172855
View attachment 172856
If you are reading this i hope you are very well. I have received a TFL Verification Letter, dated Thursday 9th January 2025 for an incident on Wednesday 8th 2025, which I have only received today. I only have 3 days left to respond, so any quick responses would be much appreciated.
I was stopped by a TFL Revenue Officer at London Bridge Underground station as I had just tapped in the gates to board the Jubilee line to attend a new work event, for a job that I had just started this a few days before. I had tapped in using my fathers Oyster card (which is a 60+ card, which I have learnt is called a 'Freedom Pass) as my debit card was overdrawn, and I had no means of topping the card up until my first pay day which is later on this month. Note that I had used the card to travel from another station in the London Zones (National Rail) to London Bridge initially. Please note that I have not used my fathers oyster card, or any other individuals oyster card ever in my history prior to this incident, and have never had an issue with TfL/the police or any other prior conviction in my life.
I have actually just come back from living abroad for two years, so not all familiar with the terms and conditions, not that that is an excuse - just more context for the reader. When I was stopped with the officer, I was compliant and courteous with him, though I did not give much detail apart from stating that I had just moved back to the UK a week prior.
I am particularly concerned as:
a) there tight timeline to respond to the letter (3 days remaining);
b) I hold an ICAEW Charted Accountancy qualification and work at a big professional services firm that take things like this very seriously; and
c) I also plan to return back to the US for work within the year, and am deeply concerned that this can impact the Visa process
I've attached the letter I have received from TFL, blacked out personal info for privacy reason. My ask of you is to please provide me with any advice on how to move forward; from my online research, given that I used a Freedom pass and TfL is notoriously difficult to , I am best off soliciting legal advice, which I have emailed a few firms to do so. But if any of you have any tips or tricks or even have experienced a similar situation where you had a positive resolution (i.e. not a criminal conviction), please do respond.
I want to end this by saying thank you, and that this is NOT something I have taken lightly at all - my carelessness in understanding the impact of my action is my responsibility which I fully understand and will now hold myself accountable going forward.
View attachment 172855
View attachment 172856