Hi everyone,
I’m looking for some advice regarding a serious issue I’m currently facing with South Western Railway (SWR).
Back in April 2025, I was stopped by a revenue protection officer at London Waterloo. I had a ticket from Vauxhall to Waterloo, but I had actually travelled from London Road (Guildford). When questioned, I panicked and said I had come from Clandon instead — one station closer — which I now realise only made things worse.
The officer took my ID, scanned my ticket, asked some questions, and said that because I hadn’t done anything like this before apparently, I’d just receive a letter. That was it — no fine or penalty notice at the time.
However, yesterday I received an email from SWR saying they’re investigating not only that incident, but also 82 other journeys over the past 1.5 years that they believe may have involved deliberate fare evasion. Unfortunately, they’re right. I didn’t always buy the correct tickets for my full journeys.
They’ve attached a spreadsheet with the journeys in question and asked me to explain each one. There’s also 1 incident of the same kind that happened after I had already been stopped which is displayed in the table. I’ve been told to respond within 7 days.
I truly regret what I did and I’m terrified this could go to court.
Is it possible to settle this out of court? Any advice would be massively appreciated. I have attached the email below.
Thank you in advance.
I’m looking for some advice regarding a serious issue I’m currently facing with South Western Railway (SWR).
Back in April 2025, I was stopped by a revenue protection officer at London Waterloo. I had a ticket from Vauxhall to Waterloo, but I had actually travelled from London Road (Guildford). When questioned, I panicked and said I had come from Clandon instead — one station closer — which I now realise only made things worse.
The officer took my ID, scanned my ticket, asked some questions, and said that because I hadn’t done anything like this before apparently, I’d just receive a letter. That was it — no fine or penalty notice at the time.
However, yesterday I received an email from SWR saying they’re investigating not only that incident, but also 82 other journeys over the past 1.5 years that they believe may have involved deliberate fare evasion. Unfortunately, they’re right. I didn’t always buy the correct tickets for my full journeys.
They’ve attached a spreadsheet with the journeys in question and asked me to explain each one. There’s also 1 incident of the same kind that happened after I had already been stopped which is displayed in the table. I’ve been told to respond within 7 days.
I truly regret what I did and I’m terrified this could go to court.
Is it possible to settle this out of court? Any advice would be massively appreciated. I have attached the email below.
Thank you in advance.