• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR - Fare evasion PLEASE HELP AND ADVICE

Status
Not open for further replies.

saismee

Established Member
Joined
20 Oct 2023
Messages
1,741
Location
UK
They're asking you to link the tickets to the  actual journeys you completed each day, in columns N and O. Be truthful when filling it out.

Obviously the Egham to Staines and Clapham Junction to London Waterloo tickets are all fraudulent, but what about the others? And why do you have a lot of duplicate tickets on the same days?

Does the red highlight on some of the journeys have any significance? Are they the ones that SWR think are suspicious?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,969
Location
Airedale
Does the red highlight on some of the journeys have any significance? Are they the ones that SWR think are suspicious?
May just be the way the spreadsheet is formatted for easier reading? All (bar the first) look equally suspicious to me :)
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,263
I have a valid railcard and the other columns include personal details
The first column in the picture is ticket refunded (so yes or no), then day of travel, departure, origin fare leg name, destination fare leg name, total price and ticket type
I've looked over your s- sheet as uploaded and your thread

I have to say that it looks to me like you have been engaging in prolonged and deliberate fare evasion involving short tickets, doughnutting etc.

Frankly if this sort of thing does not get prosecuted in court you have to wonder what you would need to do before they would prosecute you...

But - it doesn't matter much what I think as I don't work for their prosecution department - but I do think you need to seriously co-operate with the investigation, and persuade them you are telling the truth now, and persuade them you will not be fare evading again

Completing the spreadsheet honestly is the best way you can do this, and make it clear you will be prepared to pay them what you owe them

so I would suggest:

- For a row that you know or are pretty sure relates to tickets for only part of the journey you took, you should enter words like 'I did not hold a ticket for my full journey between A and B' in that row for every row this applies

- for a row where you took a journey and held a ticket for all of the journey then enter in that row 'This is the journey I took and I had a ticket for the complete journey' (be prepared for them to ask you about that travel if they don't believe you - eg what was the reason you went to that destination for example - you might need to provide some plausible evidence if they do ask for it.)

- for a row where you can not recall what happened in terms of if you ticket was valid then enter 'I am unable to recall the details of this journey' - this is at least an honest response

- if you had a railcard it would be a good idea to send some proof of that so they can see it (a purchase receipt / e-mal copy of purchase confirmation or a copy of the railcard itself if you have it)

Do not lie in what you state under any circumstances. If you are not sure of the truth leave it blank or state you can not recall as I suggest above.

Hopefully you can resolve this and convince them you have changed your ways. It should be possible.
 

wonderingcat

Member
Joined
20 Apr 2026
Messages
13
Location
waterloo
They're asking you to link the tickets to the  actual journeys you completed each day, in columns N and O. Be truthful when filling it out.

Obviously the Egham to Staines and Clapham Junction to London Waterloo tickets are all fraudulent, but what about the others? And why do you have a lot of duplicate tickets on the same days?

Does the red highlight on some of the journeys have any significance? Are they the ones that SWR think are suspicious?

I’m not sure why there is a lot of duplicate tickets I may have brought them on accident but I didn’t refund them
There’s also tickets that I brought say I got Egham to Staines and Clapham to Waterloo but I also brought Waterloo to Egham because genuinely plans have changed and I had to make the whole journey

The red ones are the journeys they’ve asked me to provide origin and destination
 

saismee

Established Member
Joined
20 Oct 2023
Messages
1,741
Location
UK
I’m not sure why there is a lot of duplicate tickets I may have brought them on accident but I didn’t refund them
There’s also tickets that I brought say I got Egham to Staines and Clapham to Waterloo but I also brought Waterloo to Egham because genuinely plans have changed and I had to make the whole journey

The red ones are the journeys they’ve asked me to provide origin and destination
Unless you can give a reason why you were travelling only one stop in two different places, on the same line mind you, they won't believe this in the slightest. Evidence your innocence or admit guilt, else I suspect the TOC may decide to prosecute - they are giving you an opportunity to be honest, so lying is spitting in their face.
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,263
I’m not sure why there is a lot of duplicate tickets I may have brought them on accident but I didn’t refund them
There’s also tickets that I brought say I got Egham to Staines and Clapham to Waterloo but I also brought Waterloo to Egham because genuinely plans have changed and I had to make the whole journey

The red ones are the journeys they’ve asked me to provide origin and destination
You may need to take the hit for fares that you can’t give plausible explanations for.
Consider that a price to pay to avoid being prosecuted in court

That’s the problem with being a fare evader when caught. You are over a barrel.
If you don’t evade fares you don’t end up with prosecutions teams going over your digital fingerprints with a detailed check looking for other dodgy behaviour.

Tell them the truth or state you don’t know.

Sorry if this sounds harsh.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top