• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Super Off Peak

Status
Not open for further replies.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
18 Dec 2009
Messages
6,615
Bit confused by this! Went down to buy a ticket for my journery tomorrow, with the following written down - as my intended trains:

07.00 HUL 09.45 KGX
20.30 KGX 23.11 HUL

I'd written next to that the cheapest fares I could find which were 2 singles at £35 and £42, and noted that I'd need a zone 6 travel card. However I've got a Super Offpeak Return from Hull to U1256 LONDN, which actually worked out cheaper that what I had found which was a nice surprise - but just been having a little look and that ticket type isnt coming up for the outbound train when I look online...

So I guess my question is what validity does a Super Offpeak Return have?

thanks
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

First class

Established Member
Joined
9 Aug 2008
Messages
2,731
Zone u1256 LONDN is NOT a travelcard. It allows a return journey between any two London Underground stations.
 

ChrisTheRef

Established Member
Joined
15 Apr 2009
Messages
1,432
Location
South Liverpool
Don't have Avantix at the moment, but guessing that an arrival into London at 09:45 is anything but Super Off Peak!
 

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
18 Dec 2009
Messages
6,615
Reading that back its probably not clear that I'd gone to a booking office for this!

Would going along to the booking office in Hull tomorrow morning and doing "hmm I bought these yesterday from X booking office, but it doesnt really look right now" be the best course of action?

Thanks for the info, with the LU bit would it allow me to go from KX to Kingston using LU and then SWT? As thats the journey I actually need!!
 

First class

Established Member
Joined
9 Aug 2008
Messages
2,731
Your ticket is not valid before 1117.

For that journey combination, you'd have to buy an Anytime Return route +Hull Trains Only priced at £145.00.

Outward Travel SOUTHBOUND_-
by any train scheduled to
ARRIVE at or after:

LONDON TERMINALS (except as
shown below) 1117

LONDON LIVERPOOL STREET 1000

LONDON ST PANCRAS 1129

LONDON EUSTON 1055

STEVENAGE 1100

LUTON 1129

LUTON AIRPORT PARKWAY 1129

BEDFORD 1129

WATFORD JUNCTION 1045

MILTON KEYNES CENTRAL 1030
 
Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,128
Location
Redcar
For that journey combination, you'd have to buy an Anytime Return route +Hull Trains Only priced at £145.00.

Forgive me if I'm reading you wrong but if that ticket is valid Hull Trains only then it still won't be valid as the 0700 to KGX is an East Coast service.
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,308
I also think you need to ask again for ticket to Kingston.

U1256 won't cover NR at all will it, just a single journey to an LU station in any zone and one return?
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,494
Location
Yorkshire
Hull-Peterborough SVR £59.00 Rte: Any Permitted
Peterborough-London Zones 1-6 £28.00 Rte: FCC Only (This is a Travelcard within London)
Total = £87.00

Get FCC between London & Peterborough. Arrive KGX 1022. Depart KGX 1922. OK, it's slower, but better than paying £150+
 

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2009
Messages
2,749
Bit confused by this! Went down to buy a ticket for my journery tomorrow, with the following written down - as my intended trains:

07.00 HUL 09.45 KGX
20.30 KGX 23.11 HUL

I'd written next to that the cheapest fares I could find which were 2 singles at £35 and £42, and noted that I'd need a zone 6 travel card. However I've got a Super Offpeak Return from Hull to U1256 LONDN, which actually worked out cheaper that what I had found which was a nice surprise - but just been having a little look and that ticket type isnt coming up for the outbound train when I look online...

So I guess my question is what validity does a Super Offpeak Return have?

thanks
Without having the restrictions or timetable to hand, but looking at other posts, the Super Off Peak ticket would not be valid for the journey you are making.

Can I ask which station you brought you ticket from? Was it Hull or elsewhere?

I fear you may end up having to pay a fairly huge excess to make your ticket valid, which would probably work out more than the (probably Advance) fares you were originally quoted on line.


 
Last edited:

RJ

Established Member
Joined
25 Jun 2005
Messages
8,828
Location
Back office
I always check and advise of restrictions on tickets, especially for those completely off patch. I once saw that somebody had sold some tourists a Groupsave London Terminals - Holyhead set of singles, expensive ching up indeed.
 
Last edited:

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
18 Dec 2009
Messages
6,615
It was a Northern ticket office. In order to get where I needed to be had to buy a £74 excess from a very surprised FTPE ticket office clerk. Although maybe the fact he'd run out of Northern complaint forms says it all...

And yes you were right the U1256 doesnt count as a travel card, had to buy another ticket for that too!

I feel a letter coming on!

Thanks for all your replies
 
Last edited:

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2009
Messages
2,749
It was a Northern ticket office. In order to get where I needed to be had to buy a £74 excess from a very surprised FTPE ticket office clerk. Although maybe the fact he'd run out of Northern complaint forms says it all...

And yes you were right the U1256 doesnt count as a travel card, had to buy another ticket for that too!

I feel a letter coming on!

Thanks for all your replies


The issue of travelcards is slightly less easy to complain about I think, as the smaller station offices some way from London may not sell many at all. It was always the case that the destination for the travelcard was "R1256", and it was that for years.↲This changed the other year to "London Zones 1-6" but was very poorly publicised internally so there may have been some confusion in that regard.
 

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
13,772
Location
Yorkshire
The issue of travelcards is slightly less easy to complain about I think, as the smaller station offices some way from London may not sell many at all. It was always the case that the destination for the travelcard was "R1256", and it was that for years.↲This changed the other year to "London Zones 1-6" but was very poorly publicised internally so there may have been some confusion in that regard.


If a customer's been sold a different ticket than the one they asked for on the basis it's an equivalent the rail industry's processes shouldn't be their problem.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top