• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Summons for sitting in first class carriage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haydn1971

Established Member
Joined
11 Dec 2012
Messages
2,101
Location
Sheffield
With FTPE in particular, whilst I've no particular issue with having first class services, I do get rather annoyed at having to put up with extreme crowding because of underprovision of carriages that's made worse by a first class section that effectively makes a three carriage train a 2 & 1/3rd train.

I often wonder if some reconfiguration of the 185 fleet would help, chopping some first class carriages out of a few trains, reconfiguring with standard class and slotting into a three car unit, creating a fleet of two, three and four car units, with first in the three and four car units, leaving options to run services in any formation from 2 to 8 carriages, potentially 12 if triples were allowed, creating a much more flexible fleet ready for cascade to Northern ;)
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trainophile

Established Member
Joined
28 Oct 2010
Messages
6,980
Location
Wherever I lay my hat
I can't help feeling that all this "pay extra if you want to sit down" is very third world :( . Not quite clinging onto the outside of the doors as in rural India, but certainly not the sort of thing that visitors from almost all the civilised world would expect.

Are we unique in never having sufficient rolling stock for our would-be rail travelling population? It's only going too get worse too, apparently. :(
 

Flamingo

Established Member
Joined
26 Apr 2010
Messages
6,806
I can't help feeling that all this "pay extra if you want to sit down" is very third world :( . Not quite clinging onto the outside of the doors as in rural India, but certainly not the sort of thing that visitors from almost all the civilised world would expect.

Are we unique in never having sufficient rolling stock for our would-be rail travelling population? It's only going too get worse too, apparently. :(

I've stood on trains in France, Germany, The Netherlands, Ireland and the USA. Looking at the pictures, we don't have staff pushing passengers in the doors, as they do in the land of the Bullet Train.

Which visitors are the ones who are from countries which have seats for every passenger, every day, with no reservations required and walk-up tickets?
 

trainophile

Established Member
Joined
28 Oct 2010
Messages
6,980
Location
Wherever I lay my hat
I've stood on trains in France, Germany, The Netherlands, Ireland and the USA. Looking at the pictures, we don't have staff pushing passengers in the doors, as they do in the land of the Bullet Train.

Which visitors are the ones who are from countries which have seats for every passenger, every day, with no reservations required and walk-up tickets?

Fair enough, it was a genuine question. I've only read glowing reports from travellers in The Netherlands, Switzerland, Sweden to name a few, but presumably everywhere has its bottlenecks at busy times.

I bet they don't have Pacers though! :lol:
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,428
Location
Yorkshire
FTPE is not an inter city service and stopped being so a long time ago
TPE themselves disagree

http://www.tpexpress.co.uk/about-us/customer-commitments/passengers-charter/
First TransPennine Express is a dedicated intercity service linking key cities and major towns in the North of England....
But quite what any of this has to do with the subject matter in hand, I have no idea. The subject has been debated before in What Is InterCity?, and I've re-opened that thread if anyone wishes to contribute to it.

Yes, TPE allow upgrades on-board (as do other operators, especially at weekends) but FCC do not, and any debates about that are best made in a separate thread. In any case, it sounds like an upgrade wasn't being requested anyway and that the passenger appears to have had no intention nor ability to pay, so the availability of upgrades on any service is irrelevant.

Golem2014 - if there are any further developments and wish for this thread to be re-opened please send me a PM.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top